A giggle in BA First

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

I occasionally need people for assignments and I’ve found in the UK those without a degree usually have a greater amount of common sense than do graduates who seem to need everything spelled out for them.

So much is dumbed down nowadays it’s depressing, but our competitors are not dumbing down so I really fear for the future.

openfly
    Participant

BAGoldcard…yes, I mentioned it all to the CSM, who was equally pleasant. But I’m afraid most of it went over his head as he had “youth on his side”!

openfly
    Participant

Doorstomanual….that is brilliant!!

openfly
    Participant

@JeffryDavidson….I’m not prepared to wait 50 years for mixed fleet to get to legacy standards….I’ll be dead anyway!

openfly
    Participant

@handbag..you are totally correct in your thinking.

canucklad
    Participant

Great story openfly, made me smile,
    In full agreement with most of the comments already made, and unfortunately it’s only going to get worse as today’s youth become tomorrow’s employees full of over confidence in their own ability, primarily down to the fact the little darlings are not allowed to face up to the reality of failure and its consequences. Add in the lack of intellect brought on by the encouragement of our education system to rely on instant gratification of “being right”, by not necessarily being knowledgeable, but knowing what to type into a google search.

Our generation, in our greed to sell technology are reaping what we sow!!..Instant cleverness, including how to set up a first class table in flight!!

I was rebuked recently for asking questions that our younger employees couldn’t answer, in other words, rather than asking what Nelson Mandela brought to the world I should have asked that the winner of X Factor would bring to the world, so they could feel SMART!!

And a wee point to Jeffreydavison, unfortunately BA’s mixed fleet attrition rate is at a level that if BA don’t adopt handbags approach then the iPad service culture will become the norm

openfly
    Participant

@canucklad….yes sad, but I still can’t help smiling!

JeffD
    Participant

Canucklad and Handsbags, I totally agree with your comments. From a mere passesngers perspection now mixing the legacy and new fleets would have been ideal, then you would have the experienced crews mentoring the juniors to produce excellent cabin crew.

On a lighter note, some of those big hair do’s you see on the legacy girls, imagine them having to wear the dreaded hats……

BA has a lot to offer. The crews make all the difference, I had a really bad experience with a Stewards attitude towards me, that reflected on how I felt for the entire flight. The crew on mixed fleet always seem happy and ready to serve. Many years ago I read a report about Virgin crews been aliken to puppys always trying to please you and never leaving you in peace, I personally never experienced that level of service on VS. But the two crews are very similiar.

I really enjoy flying BA, the crews on the whole do an excellent job, after all what do I really want from cabin crew, simple, someone who will get me down the slide safely in the event of a true emergency. The aspects of the service are just to make the journey pleasant.

Mixed fleet keep up the good work. Senior managers should look at Handbags comments and implement a fleet merger programme.

handbag
    Participant

Jefferydavison –
    “you would have the experienced crews mentoring the juniors to produce excellent cabin crew.”

This is what always had previously happened. Crew would have spent many years working in all other Cabins before they would be First Class trained and would therefore already be experienced Crew at that point

Jefferydavison –
    “a lighter note, some of those big hair do’s you see on the legacy girls, imagine them having to wear the dreaded hats……”

Hair do’s 🙂

A lot of customers are not aware that the hats are worn both by Mixed Fleet and Worldwide Crew now. Mixed Fleet wear them whatever the aircraft and Worldwide (Legacy) wear them on certain aircraft types. I think it is 787 and A380. Sure one of the other Crew can confirm.

Sometime ago, the Company decided, that Crew should not be so visibly different and as Crew go onto the new aircraft, they collect a hat. Worldwide, 747 and 777, do not have to wear a hat.

JeffD
    Participant

Handbag
    Many years ago I worked CC. I spent a long time locked in galley before I was allowed out with the drinks trolley. Those days are gone now. So I appreciate what you are saying about traning.

I think its important from a branding perspective that all crew look the same. The issue with the hats, does not impact on the crew, as long as the crew looked smart who cares about the hat. I think the legacy crew work with mixed crew on certain sectors hence wearing the hat.

I was looking a crew from a large airline based the side of the atlantic, you would not have know they were cabin crew for a airline by simply looking at them, all different shoes, cardigans etc. One thing you can say about BA is they standout, looksmart and show off the company imagine whatever fleet they work for.

handbag
    Participant

Jefferydavison – “think the legacy crew work with mixed crew on certain sectors hence wearing the hat.”

Thant is not correct. Legacy and Mixed Fleet never work on the same flight. It is purely down to the aircraft being flown that Legacy Crew would wear a hat.

eg.
    3 flights to MIA all on the same day.
    Flight one Mixed Fleet (any aircraft ) hat worn
    Flight 2 Legacy (787 or A380 ) hat worn
    Flight 3 Legacy (777 or 747) hat not worn

As you say , the hat is not a big deal, but certain assumptions are sometimes made regarding the Crew or the Service. The hat being worn is not now an indicator of the Fleet that is serving you.

JeffD
    Participant

Sorry must have misheard what the lad was saying, I thought he said they did work together on some flights.

At the end of day does it matter what fleet is serving you. When I board a flight I want to know one thing, that the crew will get me off the plane in the event of an emergency.

handbag
    Participant

Jefferydavison -that the crew will get me off the plane in the event of an emergency.

I am please to say that Crews safety ability should be the same regardless of experience. the training is so rigorous. There are so many set down procedures and you will fail if you are to up to scratch on your Annual Check.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

I am beginning to develop a better understanding as to how it is that CC cannot remember how to lay out a tray and whether to show a wine label. After all, the amount of time it must take in working out whether or not you should be wearing a hat in the first place….

Otherwise, this did make me smile.

BAGoldcard
    Participant

Thanks openfly. Glad that you raised the issued with the CSM but sorry that he did not do anything too responsive beyond being pleasant.

I flew to SYD with MF last month. Mostly great service if not 100% professional, it was always pleasant and warm. I shall be passing on some well done comments at the weekend.

That said, I do think you should write to BA and provide your balanced comments regarding your experiences – both positive and negative.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls