News

NokScoot to enter liquidation

29 Jun 2020 by Seher Asaf
NokScoot-Boeing-777-200

Low-cost carrier NokScoot said its board of directors passed a resolution on June 26 to liquidate the company in a statement posted on its website.

The carrier said its shareholders will deliberate the resolution at a general meeting to be held in “about 14 days.”

The airline, which is a joint venture between Singaporean budget airline Scoot and Thailand-based airline Nok Air, said it has been “operating in very challenging circumstances since its inception in 2014”.

It added the following: “Some of the challenges include difficulties in growing the network and a very intense competition environment. Unprecedented challenges arising from the Covid-19 pandemic have further exacerbated the situation. Consequently the board of directors does not see a path to recovery and sustainable growth for the airline.”

The carrier says it has laid off 425 employees with retrenchment benefits in compliance with Thai labour laws.

According to the Bangkok Post, Nok Airlines holds 51 per cent of the shares in NokScoot, and Scoot holds the remaining 49 per cent.

The airline flew to several destinations within Asia out of its hub in Bangkok, including Nanjing, Tokyo, Osaka, Delhi, Taipei and Tianjin.

NokScoot map

nokscoot.com/en/

Loading comments...

Search Flight

See a whole year of Reward Seat Availability on one page at SeatSpy.com

Business Traveller September / October 2020 edition
Business Traveller September / October 2020 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls