Caviar BA?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

• norbert2008
    Participant

Just seen a post on Instagram from Cathay showing a full caviar service. What do we think about this is it worth it, do we like it, would we like to see it on more airlines in First Class? I so enjoyed it on Thai & Lufthansa.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

would mind it in business class 🙂 ?

1 user thanked author for this post.

AndrewinHK
    Participant

CX caviar service in First Class is lovely, when I have been lucky enough to enjoy they often offer you seconds, it epitomizes F class travel. I doubt BA will ever offer this, BA is a more functional business-minded carrier, they don’t do wow or the bells and whistles, you’ll get half a sandwich, a scone, and a cup of tea.

7 users thanked author for this post.

Inquisitive
    Participant

SQ is doing caviar service in First class for many years. My first F class travel with them was in June 1999 – and my first taste with caviar was that time.

But I will say, it is just a novelty, even without caviar, the other food, drinks, checkin and other onboard services are equally important than whether caviar is served or not.

On the other hand, expectations matters, like in SQ business I expect Satay to be served as appetisers. So for First class bring on the caviar – BA and others.

Rferguson2
    Participant

Inquisitive – slightly OT but found it odd that my SQ daylight flight from Sydney to Singapore did not have the satay service it was just the standard starter/main/dessert. MH consistently serves it on all their flights to Australia.

I am glad BA do not offer a caviar service because if they did it would almost certainly be a half arsed attempt – probably put it on the menu as one of the starter options and then load three caviar sets for the 8 passengers sat in there with the poor crew then having to decline 2/3/4 passengers their choice.

6 users thanked author for this post.

esselle
    Participant

I personally find caviar in first class to be somewhat over rated.

The only way to eat it properly is off the back of your hand, at the point between your thumb and index finger meet, placed there with a pearl spoon. I know it sounds odd, but I got this advice first hand from the owner of one of the most respected caviar brands.

The whole idea of chopped egg, onion etc was confected to creat an illusion of luxury and value.

The same business owner introduced me to the practice of eating caviar on a warm baguette with cold unsalted butter.

Try it. You will not be disappointed.

2 users thanked author for this post.

GivingupBA
    Participant

Just once in my life, I found caviar served, and plenty of it, as part of a lunch buffet (in a 5-star hotel in South Korea in the 1980s). That is one plate I returned to. I know the real thing and that was the real thing.

On airlines, I’ve had it just once, in long haul F on Cathay Pacific. It was a generous serving.

Bullfrog
    Participant

BA serving caviar ! .. excellent April fool … flying pink pig ..

3 users thanked author for this post.

Nick Pike
    Participant

Sorry to be a party pooper but if BA ever did it would be left on my plate. I can’t stand the stuff!

5 users thanked author for this post.

CGG
    Participant

Emirates have a lovely “unlimited” caviar service, although one serving is enough as there is so much else to eat! It is fabulous and have it every time I am lucky enough to fly with them. Its a real luxury & would always try it if available.

I would say that BA has probably a few other things to focus on prior to adding caviar to the menu[/img]

Inquisitive
    Participant

CGG – I was expecting to see vodka with caviar in the attached photo!

cwoodward
    Participant

Of course it is only a very few years ago that BA served Caviar. – this with scrambled eggs on the F class tasting menu on the A380 prior the pandemic -does no one else recall ?

lostantipod
    Participant

Had it on Qatar F a few times. Enjoyed it with a few glasses of Krug 🙂
    all the better , the flights were all upgrades from J

esselle
    Participant

I certainly do remember that, but given I’ve always found the scrambled eggs BA serve to be inedible I’ve never tried it!

2 users thanked author for this post.

crookieLondon
    Participant

Etihad most certainly has an excellent caviar service.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls