Cathay Pacific has teamed up with Hong Kong-based hospitality group Black Sheep Restaurants to launch a new economy class menu for passengers travelling on long-haul routes from November.
The collaboration, which will bring South Asian, Vietnamese and Middle-Eastern flavours to the plates of travellers, marks the first time the Hong Kong-based airline has partnered with a restaurant group to develop a menu for its economy class cabin.
The airline confirmed with Business Traveller Asia-Pacific that meals will rotate on a three-to-four-month basis and the new menus will also extend to regional routes next year.
“This is a longterm collaboration. This is our first cycle of new dishes, and we’re already working on designing the second cycle,” said Vivian Lo, Cathay Pacific’s general manager of customer experience and design at the media preview event for the launch yesterday.
Travellers will get to try the following dishes:
- Corn, Shrimp and Chipotle Salad with Lime Vinaigrette and Coriander Cream
- Bean Salad with Chipotle Aioli and BBQ Chicken
- Shredded Chicken and Cabbage Salad with Nuoc Cham Dressing
- Middle Eastern Grain Salad with Squid, lemon carrots and Tahini Dressing
- Tarragon Chicken with Smashed Mint Peas and Potato Mash
- Mexican Pulled Pork with Spice Roasted Pumpkin and Brown Rice
- Braised Beef in Red Wine with Green Beans and Lemon Gremolata
- Corn Polenta with Roasted Mushroom Ragu and Parmesan
- Broccoli Mac and Cheese
- Penne alla Norma with Eggplant, Ricotta and Basil
The menu was inspired by popular dishes from Black Sheep Restaurants’ portfolio including South Asian favourites New Punjab Club, Hotal Colombo and Rajasthan Rifles; Vietnamese from Chôm Chôm and Le Garçon Saigon; and flavours from Hong Kong institutions such as Osteria Marzia, Buenos Aires Polo Club and Maison Libanaise.
“We have approached these recipes in the same way we would create a new dish for any of the restaurants, with flavours that evoke memories or transport diners to another place,” said Black Sheep Restaurants co-founder Christopher Mark.
Founded in 2012, Hong Kong-based Black Sheep Restaurants has 24 restaurants under its portfolio, two of which have been awarded Michelin Stars.
Cathay Pacific also brought back the latest version of its own craft beer for all long-haul passengers.