Emirates has confirmed details of the Platinum tier for its Skywards loyalty scheme, which will launch on April 1. Business Traveller reported on the new tier last week (see online news February 8), when Emirates sent out a teaser email to its Gold card holders detailing the new benefits, and the carrier has now set out the benefits in full. The Platinum tier will launch on April 1, to coincide with Emirates’ new global partnership with Qantas. It will ensure both the Emirates Skywards scheme and Qantas Frequent Flyer programme will both offer Platinum tiers at the launch of the partnership. Brian LaBelle, senior vice president of the Skywards scheme, stressed that while the timing of the new tier “made sense”, it had been in the planning stages “for quite some time”. “We left space for a Platinum tier since we launched the programme [in 2000],” said LaBelle. “It’s an evolution that we planned right from the very beginning, so it fits quite nicely into the programme.” As reported last week, benefits of the Platinum tier will include:
- First class benefits including first class check-in, baggage delivery and access to Emirates’ first class lounges in Dubai, with a guest.
- 20kg of extra checked luggage
- 75 per cent bonus Skywards miles (compared to 50 per cent for Gold cardholders)
- Guaranteed economy or business class commercial seat at Flex fares “even on a full flight”
- Guaranteed Flex reward seat on any flight where there is a seat for sale in economy or business class
- Platinum members will also receive a complimentary Gold partner card, which they can give to a family member or person of their choice, and which is valid for the duration of their Platinum membership.