Ryanair’s in-flight mobile phone service has been put “temporarily on hold” following a decision by provider OnAir to terminate the contract.
Ryanair launched in-flight phone calls on selected aircraft last year (see online news February 19, 2009), and had planned to fit its entire fleet over an 18-month period.
But in a statement the carrier said that OnAir had been “unwilling to commit to this expansion at this time, and exercised their right to terminate the agreement at the end of the 13 month proving period of service operation”.
Ryanair said it had been “pleased with the performance” of the service, and “the rapidly growing call-text and data volumes”, and says it will now invite other in-flight communications providers to tender for the service.
For more information visit ryanair.com.
Report by Mark Caswell