ZERO Avios First Class Seats from LAX!

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 61 through 71 (of 71 total)

• FirstClassWannabe
    Participant

@TiredOldHack – Is MAD-MDE all with IB or do you have to change to Avianca in BOG?

PeterCoultas
    Participant

Enormous fare differences for redemption bookings that TOH found is similar to bizarre differences in comparable RTW fares between SkyTeam (with tax etc charge of circa £ 200) and Star where an almost identical route has taxes boosted to circa £ 600 by some peculiar airline insurance charge – puzzled as to why I need to insure the airline!
    As to OP’s dilemma it seems to me that he is lucky BA won’t let him waste (agree here with the RealBabuschka) so many avios on LAX-LON when there are so many other good options. If USA-London why not with his UA miles as they can’t be that much worse than BA or even enjoy the trip a la MrDooog (assuming he is not in the american “only half a day a year off” situation!)

garygca
    Participant

mkcol74 – 18/03/2016 18:22 GMT

Thanks. I’ll give it a try.

icenspice
    Participant

Well done TOH! I am very envious!

FCW, as far as I know, Iberia flies to both MDE and Cali.

TiredOldHack
    Participant

@FirstClassWannabe – it’s direct MAD-MDE. An A330 apparently, so will have the new Iberia biz cabin, which is definitely good.

Interestingly,at the weekend I tried to book another biz seat on points, for one of our offspring, on the same flights and got a message that this booking could now only be made over the phone to BA.

I suspect someone noticed the huge disparity in extra charges.

TiredOldHack
    Participant

icenspice – the return flight stops at Cali, which can only be 20 minutes flying time from MDE.

Pembroke
    Participant

Hi there

I find myself frequently in a similar position. Never, ever the long haul availability to the destinations I want. Sydney being a case in point. Very frustrating and I have a similar number of miles to you.

HOWEVER, to celebrate the better half’s 50th next February we were looking to go on a Californian road trip and use not only Avios but also our Amex BA 241 voucher, and in F. Nothing to LAX, but several possibilities to SFO and even more to LAS. Result, via the Exec Club centre as it’s an open jaw, we fly out to SFO and back from LAS – two weeks away and we had a choice of three or four date combinations.

We may just have been lucky (feels that way) but it does go to show with the 355 days out booking window, miralces can happen.

maxgeorge
    Participant

May I suggest a simple solution to the difficulty in making LHR-LAX rewards bookings?

Join, if eligble, AA’s AAdvantage FF plan.

They offer a concept evidently alien to BAEC.

It’s called “availability”.

Uncledude
    Participant

AA only have availability in First Class LAX-LHR next January at Anytime rates.

And the future – with almost 80% of First Class Long Haul vanishing.
    .Soon it will be virtually impossible unless you want to take a Domestic First Class to JFK to connect and those may be OK from Most Airports but a difficult Saver Redemption from LAX or SFO.

garygca
    Participant

maxgeorge – 23/03/2016 19:15 GMT

The fact is that I already HAVE switched to AA. They have made me a “Concierge Key” level member of their FF program. And best of all, they actually have availability in premium classes and thereby treat those with enough points/miles like the valued customers they are! Thanks for the tip (great minds think alike!).

garygca
    Participant

UncleDude – 24/03/2016 01:05 GMT

I have tried January Anytime rates LAX-LHR and don’t find anything. Tried Feb and as far in March as schedules will allow; still nothing. That said, someone had a suggestion of using someplace like LAS and sure enough there are seats available. It’s B747 vs. A380 and the hassle of having the fly through LAS, but in order to secure a F award seat, it might be the only way. Thanks!

Viewing 11 posts - 61 through 71 (of 71 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls