ZERO Avios First Class Seats from LAX!

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 71 total)

• Charles-P
    Participant

FDOS_UK – 16/03/2016 16:21 GMT

Yes you’re right. A flight that is regularly full is not a success, what was I thinking ?
    I’m sure your analysis of ‘Big Data’ was able to find a different explanation.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Timezones could be your friend, if you set an alarm for just after midnight UK time (4pm in LA?) you will be first in line to pounce 🙂

garygca
    Participant

FDOS_UK – 16/03/2016 16:24 GMT

Good idea about alternate airports (e.g. PHX or maybe LAS), though I’d have to book another flight to get there. Still, that might be worth it. Will also have to see where BA has A380 or refurbished 747 aircraft flying from. Thanks again.

garygca
    Participant

FDOS_UK – 16/03/2016 16:28 GMT

Timezones could be your friend, if you set an alarm for just after midnight UK time (4pm in LA?) you will be first in line to pounce 🙂

I’m going to try this today….just for kicks. Will let you know.

That all said, it would be nice for Revenue Management to understand that while they are trying to maximize revenue on each flight, they are also pissing off loyal premium fliers who will stop accruing miles on an airline that doesn’t let you redeem for the same class you’ve been flying!! Just my two cents (or two pence)!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Charles-P – 16/03/2016 16:27 GMT

I don’t know what is so difficult to grasp in the equation that load factor x yield – operating costs = route profit?

Then there is the impact of cargo sales.

A flight which is regularly full could be a loss maker, whilst an apparently half full aircraft could be making a fortune – BA have been clever with the use of the short haul 767 on some routes, in this context.

You don;t know about the LAX route, neither do I – the difference is that I know I don’t know.

TheRealBabushka
    Participant

Why would anyone waste Avios to fly First on that sector? It’s just a 10h flight.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

garygca – 16/03/2016 16:31 GMT

I feel your pain – unfortunately, the airline managers who look at the numbers are more interested in customers like Citi, Deutsche Bank, Coca Cola etc.

Even though you have collected 1.5m avios, in their eyes it is small fry when looking at their overall policies for revenue management.

Good luck, I hope something might fall your way.

MrMichael
    Participant

Garygca, you make a good point in not being able to redeem your avios for a seat on a flight/class you regularly used and have earned the reward. I think BA need to look at that, otherwise if someone like you find it is just not worth collecting the reward, rightly so you will look for an airline that will reward you properly. On the whole I think using Avios on long haul flights is probably poor value due to the huge extras you have to pay, but if that is what your willing to accept then BA should deliver…take your Avios and your money.

HedgeFundFlyer
    Participant

Not much help, but as an aside this route was challenging to get F availability when BA flew 3x 744s daily (ie 42 F seats per day). Now it is 2x a388 (ie 28 F seats per day) it must be far harder.

coudntthinkofaname
    Participant

I assume you are a Gold Card Holder having racked up that many avios? (either that or you are filling up a warehouse with Tesco puchases :-)). If that’s right, have you considered using the Gold Priority Reward which enables you to open up reward seat availability in any cabin on any flight (subject to availability) but the downside is that you have to spend double the normal avios price. So it would “only” cost 400k avios per person for a peak ticket!

C

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Is that the scheme that books into ‘A’ class?

coudntthinkofaname
    Participant

No – isn’t “A” just “discounted F”?

C

ps – just seen this

http://flyerguide.com/Booking_Classes_(BA)

which bears out the above – I assume it would book into Z

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Yes, I believe that you are right about ‘A’ class.

Thanks, I wasn’t sure if it opened up extra capacity by broadening the footprint of seats available.

Let’s hope the OP can find something using your advice.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Have you tired transiting through another BA destination. Accept that LA is busy, there are always other USA gateways, may make the journey longer, but at least you get your avios seats….

garygca
    Participant

MrMichael – 16/03/2016 16:50 GMT

The BA policies HAVE in fact encouraged me to change my loyalty. I’m now flying AA which has much greater award availability and they value my business so much that they have made me a member of their Concierge Key level. AA product to LHR is new 777-300 and quite nice.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 71 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls