Your first Premium Cabin Flight & First drink on-board

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)

• nevereconomy
    Participant

BA LHR-HKG July (?) 1978 (747 2 stops on the way) to my posting there – stayed at the Excelsior on arrival. I think that Club or something like it had just been introduced
    as the seat arrangement was a bit Heath Robinson.
    I think the drink would probably have been vodka and tonic – I was to subsequently quaff a great many of those on BA (and others.)

timirvine1977
    Participant

What a great thread. Pretty sure mine was in 2006. I was flying LHR to BOM on Virgin for 2 months travelling as a birthday treat to myself. A friend worked at Virgin at the time, and said he’d try and get me an upgrade as a birthday gift. Checking in at Heathrow, no mention, so I assumed I was outta luck. At the gate though, the crew replaced my boarding pass with an Upper Class berth. Result!

I’d flown short haul premium before, but never long haul. It was an overnight flight, leaving Heathrow around 21:30. I found myself stuck between wanting to make the most of the food and beverage offering, and wanting to get some decent sleep on a flat-bed!

First drink – definitely something bubbly. Not sure what VS were serving as their boarding drink back then, but I had several!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Thanks @nevereconomy, but I’ve never heard of that expression before! Just looked it up.

“used to describe a machine that is very cleverly made and is complicated in a silly or humorous way, but has no practical use: a Heath Robinson contraption”.
    I wonder who he was??

ASK1945
    Participant

From Wikipaedia “William Heath Robinson (31 May 1872 – 13 September 1944) was an English cartoonist, illustrator and artist, best known for drawings of whimsically elaborate machines to achieve simple objectives. In the UK, the term “Heath Robinson contraption” gained recognition as a noun around 1912″.

2 users thanked author for this post.

esselle
    Participant

Look up some of his cartoons. Creative genius!!

1 user thanked author for this post.

alohapeter
    Participant

KLM JFK-Aruba DC-8 stretch. Champagne and oj! Route discontinued long ago but it was a great flight with great service.

Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls