Your first Premium Cabin Flight & First drink on-board

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)

• cybertravller
    Participant

Having become nostalgic whilst discussing Kir Royales, I thought I would open this topic by asking my fellow travellers about their first premium cabin experience and the first drink they had in the said cabin.

The first was British Airways Club World to Mexico City, and I had a Kir Royale.

Rferguson2
    Participant

My first premium cabin experience was Business Class on a Gulf Air 767 from Sydney to Singapore when they were the ‘Emirates’ of the time.

I was travelling with my grandmother who was a smoker although my mum ensured we had seats in the non smoking section. I can still remember vividly the ‘no smoking’ signs being switched off after take off and my grandmother convinced that we were indeed in the smoking section. And despite me trying to explain that no, the signs get switched off on the whole aircraft she went ahead and lit a fag. Then got chastised by the stewardess.

I can still remember the amenities also – thick A4 writing paper with the Gulf Air logo embossed in gold, envelopes, pens, playing cards.

I was only a kid at the time so no ‘proper’ drink although knowing how my gran was she would have definitely allowed me to try her wine. 🙂

5 users thanked author for this post.

GivingupBA
    Participant

One-way first class Arusha – Heathrow (on a VC-10) – New York on BA in 1981. I stopped in London for a few days and upgraded the LHR-JFK ticket to Concorde for a fee. Drinks, Cointreau on the VC-10. Drinks on Concorde were very good, especially the champagne. Flying on Concorde was just really great, unforgettable.

1 user thanked author for this post.

esselle
    Participant

PanAm in J on LHR-SFO in 1980.

As it was early morning, a spicy Bloody Mary started the journey well.

cwoodward
    Participant

Mine was also the BA VC10 – Sydney to Toronto in about 1974 or 5.
    I was travelling with a ‘Knight of the Realm” my boss at the time and got upped to 1st. My most vivid recollection was how quiet the aircraft was and how splendid the food and service. I also recall how cold was Toronto after sunny warm Sydney.

On the same trip we flew on to London and I then back to Sydney. As I recall the flight back London was also the VC10 but back to Sydney was with Qantas this on the then newish B747- in economy.

It is perhaps interesting that only 54 DC10s were ever produced probably because it was an accountants nightmare so heavy was the fuel burn.
    The VC10 was very much a BOAC aircraft with the production of the first 35 aircraft all being for the airline and the few others being operated by the RAF and African countries who had soft loans from UK Ghana Airways East African Airways etc, various middle Eastern governments also used the aircraft as I believe did British Caledonian (?) for a short time.

Inquisitive
    Participant

My first business class travel was on Air India from New Delhi to New York via London on B747 upper deck.

And the first drink was champagne. That was my very young days and also my first champagne. That time my thought was champagne is champagne and did not have a clue about brand.

TominScotland
    Participant

My first long-haul in premium was on an Alitalia 747-200 from Rome to Bombay (as it was then) in the late 1980s. This was the first leg of their kangaroo route to, I think, Melbourne and the return was considerable delayed out of BOM – I remember a long wait in a minute, windowless lounge. Back in Rome, I had missed my connection back to London 9from where I was going on to Dublin on a separate ticket). I saw an Aer Lingus plane on the ground and persuaded the transfer desk to book me onto that flight. not sure that would happen that easily today. And my luggage made it as well!!

What did I drink? Not a clue but probably very serviceable on Alitalia,

Montysaurus
    Participant

My first premium flight was in J from Kai Tak to Heathrow. My wife and our 2 daughters then aged about 4 and 1 were with me. I got a phone call in HK from BA expressing regret but could we come home a day early and in consequence we would be upgraded to Club. We thought this was strange being a family of 4 with young children but accepted the offer. One or two passengers looked fairly unhappy about having young children as travelling companions when they boarded but on arrival at LHR 2 of them commented on what good travellers they were as they hadn’t made a sound during the journey. In those far off days I assume my first drink was a GT.
    What this experience did was convince us that there would be no more long haul in economy and if we couldn’t afford a premium cabin we wouldn’t go.

sparkyflier
    Participant

cybertraveller – thank you for starting a good discussion and opportunity to share and hear different travel tales.

My first flight not in economy was Sabena on a 747-300 from Lagos to Brussels in the mid-late 80s. Was pretty young but not too young that I did not ask and get some…. wine! Was sat in the upper deck (which had a straight staircase to reach) which was very exciting and just loved the extra width, pitch and enhanced service. Was travelling unaccompanied. I was upgraded from Y for a reason I cannot remember but also was in the C cabin in the BRU-LHR connection on an old 737-200. It was an experience I would have been “bloody” happy to have again (some may get the hidden pun there)!

2 users thanked author for this post.

FDOS
    Participant

I’ve racked my brains, but just cannot remember the first time I flew in a premium class.

My first TATL was in 1986 – LHR-NAS, but in eco, however eco in those days was a different kettle of fish to today, in terms of seat pitch. Despite the exotic destination, it was a business trip.

BPP
    Participant

Many years ago Upper Class on a Virgin A340 LHR-DEL. Remember the Club House in T3 very well and the first of several glasses of Champagne!

stevescoots
    Participant

Not sure if it counts as it was short haul, Alitalia LHR to LIN in J on an old MD 80 or 82 sometime around 1992. First “real” was BA LHR in J to Sin in 2002

fqtvgla
    Participant

My first premium trip was on a Tristar in Club class on a BA flight from LHR to CDG. I was transferring to Orly airport for a flight to Montpellier. I wanted to keep my senses about me so only had a soft drink.

The one thing that has always stuck in my head was the announcement that the crew spoke Spanish which I thought was very odd when we were travelling to France.

cybertravller
    Participant

Rferguson 2 “I can still remember the amenities also – thick A4 writing paper with the Gulf Air logo embossed in gold, envelopes, pens, playing cards.”

I wish more airlines would bring that back; those are lovely souvenirs that give the experience an air of class!

GivingupBA “Drinks, Cointreau on the VC-10. Drinks on Concorde were very good, especially the champagne. Flying on Concorde was just really great, unforgettable.”

I had the pleasure of crewing the A318 from LCY-JFK, never the same as Concorde, and I wish I had joined BA earlier to be able to fly on her. Still my favourite aircraft to this day!

Inquisitive “My first business class travel was on Air India from New Delhi to New York via London on B747 upper deck.”

I heard that AI was quite the force many years ago, do you think the TATA aquisition will bring back those days?

sparkyflier “cybertraveller – thank you for starting a good discussion and opportunity to share and hear different travel tales.”

Many thanks. Travelling is one of the great pleasures that I am privileged to be able to do. Sharing stories certainly broadens the horizons and provides great inspiration for future journeys.

fqtvgla “The one thing that has always stuck in my head was the announcement that the crew spoke Spanish which I thought was very odd when we were travelling to France.”

I had a similar experience travelling with my father from LHR-JNB on a BA 747 (many moons ago). The stewardess kindly informed us in Greek that said language was spoken on the flight. There were a lot of confused faces in the aisles.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Jey
    Participant

All my flights are self-funded leisure trips, I don’t travel as part of my job. Whilst I tend to spend the extra money on business class on short haul flights, for financial reasons, long haul is always economy or, at best, premium economy. However, a couple of years ago BA upgraded me to business on a flight back to London from San Francisco, and though I don’t drink alcohol except on very, very rare occasions, I treated myself to the complimentary champagne they passed around. “When in Rome,” I thought. I thought the same just last week when I was again upgraded on a flight to Gran Canaria. Champagne again, brand unknown. I could get used to that…

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls