Would you find this rude?

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

• FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=790286]When the flight is not full, if someone is in a row of 3 they often move into the middle of the 3 (presumably so someone is less likely to sit next to them and they end up with 3 seats to themselves. Elsewhere, I find rows with 3 pax in 3 seats. Time permitting, I normally look at the passenger list and say to the pax in a row of 3 seats to themselves, that to be fair and try and give everyone a bit of room, I will be moving someone into that row and would they prefer the aisle or window , before I do it.

I notify the pax who is already in the row for a couple of reasons.

Giving them a chance as they were there first of which one they want. Quite often they were not even in that row at all and have just moved themselves anyway.
    and
    They are less likely to give the person that moved a hard time if I have been involved in the moving , rather than the person doing it themselves.

[/quote]

That is a courteous, professional and pragmatic approach.

canucklad
    Participant

Hi handbag,
    That’s exactly what happened to me on a flight back from Faro.
    As soon as the dispatcher arrived on board I moved into a free row of 3 (gained permission) and was soon curled up catching up on some much needed sleep after the double ding was made. .
    Quietly woken, I was advised that due to having to separate some warring women further up the cabin, my wee bed would now come to an end.

Philosophically, I was thankful for the hour of horizontal snooze, and spent the last part of the journey pondering what I missed that almost resulted in our aircraft being diverted.

Totally well managed by the Jet2 crew.

SimonS1
    Participant

You get all types on aircraft.

Last week I was on an EK flight in seat G with someone in D and E/F empty. The person in D quickly expanded across into E and from body language was clearly intending to occupy all 3 seats leaving me in G.

Fortunately I was wise to it and at that point emptied most of my briefcase contents onto F. Cue huffing and puffing from the other passenger who made a show of how hard it was to sleep curled up on 2 seats.

canucklad
    Participant

Hi Simon, at the first huff and puff I’d have been awfully tempted to sit in F or even better, take my socks off and curl up with my feet lying near the E/F armrest. I’d never consider not sharing space., even the middle seat in a 3 row I always ask, or suggest that the middle table be shared for drinks etc…..
    But your right, it takes all sorts. Reminds of the type of person who asked during the Ash incident if the cancelled flight included business class passengers.

Mikeact
    Participant

Very commendable Handbag, but I think you might have missed the question, is it/was it rude ?

PaulRWoods
    Participant

What to expect from Qantas?
    November 2011: I was stationed on Solomon Islands with my family at home in Europe, when Qantas decided to cancel all of its airtravel leaving over 70,000 passengers stranded. Any attempts to know if I would be flying home for Christmas remained unanswered.
    All of my flights thereafter from Brisbane to Amsterdam were by other Airlines. Never again Qantas.

handbag
    Participant

Briand

To answer the question. If I was a passenger and a passenger moved themselves or Crew moved a passenger into a spare seat, I would not think it rude. I had not booked that seat and had no claim to it.

For me as a Crew Member, it makes common sense to speak to the other passenger, so I would mention it. Not because of being rude, but think it sensible to let everyone know what is going on. People are generally happier if they are kept informed. So even though I personally don’t think it was rude, I would not appear rude to those that might think I was, if I hadn’t mentioned. You can never keep everyone happy all the time, but I try 🙂

FDOS_UK
    Participant

For me as a Crew Member, it makes common sense to speak to the other passenger, so I would mention it. Not because of being rude, but think it sensible to let everyone know what is going on. People are generally happier if they are kept informed. So even though I personally don’t think it was rude, I would not appear rude to those that might think I was, if I hadn’t mentioned

This is good practice, as far as I am concerned.

Moving people from one seat to another is clearly not rude (as I stated in the OP), but the way that it is done can cause friction.

When the purser spent a few minutes explaining what she was doing to the young couple and the older lady, but didn’t talk to me, I felt as if I was a second class citizen. I didn’t expect to be consulted, as the purser was at liberty to make the move – but I didn’t expect to be blanked, either.

Before anyone comments on that, I am not interested in how anyone else would feel – it is irrelevant to me and there could be a shedload of different reactions, ranging from not bothered through to feeling deeply insulted (and before anyone says that is unrealistic, try dealing with a culture where loss of face is intolerable). I’d say my reaction was somewhere in the middle of range, mildly annoyed.

If handbag had moved the lady in the way she describes in her post above, I would have felt good because I would have perceived a courteous service and also that the young couple deserved some extra space.

So, in conclusion, IMHO handbag describes best practice in managing a cabin and I respect the knowledge and skill that draws upon.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls