Would you find this rude?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

• FDOS_UK
    Participant

Genuine question.

Long haul flight, I’m in the window of a 2×2 pair, aisle is free, with a young couple (toddler in arms) in the first 2 in a middle row of 3 and an older woman in the 3rd.

Purser notices baby, says to young couple, let’s see if we can make this better and asks older lady if she will move to the seat next to me, after take off. Lady agrees.

After takeoff, purser brings her across, and departs.

Not a word to me at any time.

Now, I had not paid for the empty seat and it was the airlines to do with as they wish, but would other members expect the purser to have just mentioned “I’ll be assigning a passenger to this seat, after take off” or said something when she brought the lady across as a courtesy?

As it happens, I thought helping the family was the right thing to do, but was surprised that I was blanked and thought it was poor communication by someone who should be aware of stakeholder management.

peter19
    Participant

It would have been courteous (and the right thing) to make you aware whats going on.

What is worse though are people who move themselves without asking!

rferguson
    Participant

I would have mentioned to you that I was going to move someone into the empty seat to help out a family travelling with an infant.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Thanks peter19/rferguson

I think you are right, a simple ‘just to let you know……’ comment would have been appropriate.

Not doing this could cause friction between the original passenger and the newly moved one and I was surprised that someone who is a purser wouldn’t be smart enough to have a quick word to set things off on the right footing.

BPP
    Participant

Very inconsiderate and ill mannered. Which airline, and which cabin were you in – so I can avoid it.
    BPP

mikeact
    Participant

“Which airline and which cabin so I can avoid it”

How ridiculous.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=789473]Very inconsiderate and ill mannered. Which airline, and which cabin were you in – so I can avoid it.
    BPP

[/quote]

it was Qantas in Premium and I have to say very much out of line with the normal professional and courteous service I have received from the airline.

Krsnp
    Participant

Hi All,

I agree that letting you know prior to moving the passenger would be very courteous. However, I see nothing wrong with not doing it, considering the empty seat was not yours to start with (except if you have any belonging on the vacant seat).

Thanks.

SimonS1
    Participant

I agree. Of course it would have been courteous but nothing ‘wrong’ as such.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=789778]I agree. Of course it would have been courteous but nothing ‘wrong’ as such.

[/quote]

I didn’t ask if it was wrong, I asked if people thought it was rude.

esselle
    Participant

Semantics.

When does lack of courtesy stop and rudeness start?

canucklad
    Participant

I’d have been a bit miffed that my new found free space bonus had now been “taken away” from me. But, you know what, it’s the airlines property, so what are you going to do. Thus I don’t think it’s rude.

Having said that, I recall my vacant mate’s seat (denied boarding due to passport expiry date) was then occupied by a portly German woman, with Rapunzelish unshaven armpits, but even worse, unwashed armpits. My long haul to Denpasar was a truly Fraumatic experience.

So, I suppose it depends on the individual now sitting next to you, as I’ve had many unexpected pleasurable experiences.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=789805]

I agree. Of course it would have been courteous but nothing ‘wrong’ as such.

I didn’t ask if it was wrong, I asked if people thought it was rude.

[/quote]

Ok then. Of course it would have been courteous but nothing ‘rude’ as such.

stevescoots
    Participant

I would not find it rude unless they moved someone that potentially could annoy the hell out of me!

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Not rude but, I do think you should have been extended the courtesy of a brief explanation.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls