Will Norse Atlantic restart Boston and Washington DC in 2024 ?

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Norse Atlantic launched both routes from London LGW in summer 2023 … but after a few months of operation it decided to suspend both during the winter season.

As things stand now both Boston and Washington DC are supposed to restart on April 1.

But will they ?

I ask because although the schedules are displayed on the Norse website only high fares are shown on every day until October 25 when both routes will cease for the winter.

In particular the economy prices are unrealistically high and there is no yield management being applied.

In the case of Boston, a one-way fare (in common with other low-cost airlines, Norse prices one-way) would be $1,422 for economy and $2,150 for premium.

The same fares for Washington would be $1,486 and $2,176.

Who would pay over $1,400 for a one-way US East Coast flight with a budget airline ?

Airlines do this when they are mulling over whether or not to restart a route.

Developments are awaited.

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

I think you have half answered the Boston part of the question with your recent feature advising that Virgin Atlantic are adding an additional daily flight between Heathrow & Boston next summer. Flying from Gatwick, and with no feeder traffic, Norse simply can’t compete with Virgin & BA on the route (let alone the US carriers).

So, no, I really can’t see Boston restarting.

1 user thanked author for this post.

sandiego1
    Participant

I don’t think anyone, including Norse, has the vaguest idea of what will be happening in 2024. They announced three new routes to the Caribbean for the winter season from October to April, one they cancelled before it began, and the other two were reduced to 3 and 4 flights a week. They have spent a fortune trying to get travel agents to sell them, offering huge incentives which they clearly cannot afford and then this week announced both routes will finish early and will be reduced to a single flight each week. No one in the right mind can have any confidence in their future.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

In fact as we reported a few days ago – check link below – Norse says it will operate just a single weekly flight to both Barbados and Montego Bay in winter of 2024.

Today I read that Virgin Atlantic expects to operate 14 weekly flights to Barbados in winter 2024.

In addition there will be BA’s schedule to Barbados.

Just now I checked Boston and Washington on the Norse website and both routes display those zany prices.

Norse Atlantic puts 2024-25 winter flights to Caribbean on sale

AMcWhirter
    Participant

I can today confirm that Norse’s flights to Boston and Washington DC have indeed been cancelled for the summer season.

Both routes were suspended during the current winter season and were supposed to restart on April 1.

However Norse has now removed seat inventory from its booking site so no reservations are possible.

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

I wonder if the staff in Norse’s refunds department run a sweepstake?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

*Update*

Norse is in the process of determining its transatlantic services for summer 2024.

As far as the UK and departures from LGW reports on social media say that, although Norse will continue to serve Los Angeles, Miami and Orlando for summer 2024, there will be frequency reductions on all three routes.

The winner will be New York JFK. Norse will incraese flight frequency from seven to 10 flights a week effective May 1.

It’s interesting that Norse is considering operating a new service to Las Vegas.

Norse has applied for slots and more details are unknown at time of writing.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

I spoke to Norse Atlantic to confirm a few of the points above, and have written a news piece. Interestingly the spokesperson said “Despite reports we have no plans to launch services to Las Vegas at this time”.

Norse Atlantic drops routes from Gatwick to Boston and Washington for summer 2024

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Las Vegas remains a mystery.

Readers who wish to take Norse between LGW and Las Vegas can do so now but the service is indirect and involves a plane change to another airline at either Los Angeles, Miami or Orlando (depending on day of week)

Strangely Norse doesn’t list Las Vegas under Las Vegas.

Norse displays ‘Las Vegas’ as McCarran International Airport (the airport for Las Vegas).

So with reference to Mark’s piece above we must await developments re LGW-Las Vegas.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Norse must really be struggling if they can’t even get the name for LAS correct.
    It changed names from McCarran to Harry Reid Intl Airport 2 years ago!

sandiego1
    Participant

The second flight to JFK has dreadful slots, arriving at JFK at 2330 and departing for LGW at 0130, who in their right mind would choose those flights? You might save £50 on the flight but there is no way any sensible person would be taking the Air Train to Jamaica at that time of night, so a cab or private car cost would negate the saving. This airline really does appear to operate by throwing darts at a map, possibly blindfolded at the time.

Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

Norse has now confirmed flights between Gatwick and Las Vegas will launch on 12 September – news piece to follow this morning.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

So Norse has finally confirmed London-Las Vegas today.

I knew this would happen at some stage considering Norse had applied for, and been granted, slots at Las Vegas.

Back in January when Business Traveller asked Norse for comment it stated “we have no plans to launch services to Las Vegas at this time.”

Mark has now posted today’s news re Norse on our news pages.

Norse is following the trend of US carriers to use flight number 777 for the service *to* Las Vegas.

777 is a lucky number and carriers such as American (from DFW), Delta (from ATL), United (from ORD) and Jet Blue (from Boston) all have a flight bearing this number says Ishrion Aviation.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls