why fly BA?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 101 total)

• LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

Then why the slightly outraged questioning about what I said if you are so sure about what I meant?

craigwatson
    Participant

probably because we cant quite believe a BA senior captain ( because you said he can’t be promoted anymore) would tell his employeers to F off, just because they asked him to be in an advert.

Now I could believve he may have been THINKING that, but again, I highly doubt he actually said that.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

“Foxtrot Oscar” to the thread drift!!

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

Apologies MartynSinclair, this will be my last post on the drift as I think I’ve been misunderstood or perhaps not made myself clear.

My mate conveyed the sentiments of foxtrot oscar to BA over their approach to him, he certainly never said anything of the kind. The use of the term was my shorthand for all that he conveyed. I do hope this is clear.

craigwatson
    Participant

Ah, ok sorry LPPS, i had misunderstood you.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Just to put us back on thread. I fly BA occassionly, and then always in the premium cabins and I love them as an airline for that quintessentially British experience. I hear English spoken as it’s meant to be spoken. Not broken or with a foreign accent. The cabin is usually slightly shabby, like an English country house and there’s usually something that does not work.

Recently flying from NY I could not sleep. The stewardess made me a hot chocolate and we chatted like old friends for two hours. She lived in Meopham in Kent and so knew many of my old haunts.

But all that and the superb professionalism of the crew make me feel at home. Afternoon tea with a scone. Sundowners. Decent port to go with the cheese. Just writing this makes me wish I was in Blighty. And for me any airline that can make me feel at home deserves my business and that’s why, when I have the occasion, I fly BA

Stowage222
    Participant

Well put LP – I think this is exactly what BA is trying to promote – its Britishness. They’re not trying to be German, Middle Eastern, Singaporean etc and the service style reflects this, warts and all! What they need to do now is up the ante and get their service more in line with the Premium operator they say they are. Let’s hope…….

TridentGold
    Participant

LuganoPirate you really make a very good point, I can relate to similar experiences, especially that professional but warm welcome which makes me smile on a Friday night several thousand miles from UK when I am usually extremely tired and grumpy.

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

As time passes by LP the quality of your convesation will diminish. You will find less and less erudite, experienced, multi-lingual career crew. BA is in the process of exchanging them for cheaper youngsters and surplus handlers/drivers with little/no qualifications, looking to see the world then moving on within 2 years to start a career/family.

The ad was as a result of market research which highlighted heritage being a USP – somewhat at odds to the prevailing strategy pertaining to cabin crew. Still as has already been noted – the image an ad portrays is often not the reality.

Start brushing up on your n-dubz 😉
    [Edit – A band/rap group popular with teenagers and youngsters]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N-Dubz

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

As a European, I feel good on most of our airlines bringing me back from less hospitable climes, Swiss perfection, Germanic effciency, French pragmatism, Irish warmth, Spanish hospitality etc…

Nothing wrong with a British airline either, bmi is always a welcome ride out of Riyadh, friendly and professional.

So whilst I don’t knock BA for being British, it’s not a dfferentiator for me.

However, scruffy aircraft don’t remind me of country houses and faded elegance, so much as British Rail and underinvestment.

RichHI1
    Participant

Whilst not classifying myself as a European, I would concur in sentiment with DoS though I find the emotional pull for those who feel a strong link with Britishness very understandable. I know my choice of carrier, hotel, plane etc is often as emotional as logical if I am honest.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

An externally scruffy aircraft or even an internally scruffy aircraft can still maintain a degree of elegance, if only in the First class cabin, Thai is a perfect example.

In NCW upstairs on the -400 is another perfect example.

I have gone beyond looking outside of the area which I occupy.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I agree with what you add Stowage, and let me complete the sentence. Let’s hope…..they keep their Britishness!

Trident, I too remember a fraught visit to Nairobi. How comforting it was to see the BA tail fin and then get a traditional BA welcome as I boarded and took my seat. Priceless, and far more satisfying than nothing from Swiss (a much as I love them) KLM etc.

And Disgusted, I also loved British Rail and it’s famous Pullman Trains. Why can’t National Rail be renamed “British Rail”? Perhaps I’m just a nostalgic type of guy.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Tete, sorry to display my ignorance, but what is n-dubz?

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

The pull of the familiar doesn’t bother me these days when I’m quite happy that the tail is a Krisbird or a Swiss cross or a crane or many other things.

Back in the mid 80’s I worked a lot in LOS which was an experience I wouldn’t hurry to repeat. On days when I was coming home, I can remember the anticipation building up of the journey home and close to the airport looking to spot the golden lion on the tail of the 747 and spotting the girls in their tartan and getting a shiver of home. That was of course replaced with the midnight blue, pearl grey and red of landor with ‘To Fly To Serve’ on the tail and that felt good too but then they were good days at BA.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 101 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls