Where would you stay in Tokyo that's best for first timer visiting?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

• w8ster
    Participant

Imagine first timer (one of two traveller anyway) in Tokyo. Limited to 4 /5 days (not including a plan for Kyoto after). Everyone tend to suggest Ginza for the easy access to everywhere.

Would you go for the large chains like Hiltons, Marriotts, Hyatts etc? or try a local Japanese brand? I have Hilton & Marriott Gold, Golden Circle Jade and Discovery Black. looking at options.

Please & Thank you.

SGJNI1961
    Participant

Personally, I would try The Intercontinental Strings. Good hotel located 2 mins walk from Shinagawa Station which has excellent connection to both international airports, particularly Haneda.its pretty easy to navigate the city from there with a little help from the English speaking support staff near the ticket machines.
    Hotel is comfortable and reasonably priced.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Speedbird1994
    Participant

I stayed at Hyatt Regency Shinjuku, which was a lovely hotel, with nice views, beautiful rooms and good views. It was also only a ten minute walk from Shinjuku Station which is one of the main stations in Tokyo.

peter19
    Participant

I have stayed a few times at the Hilton Shinjuku. You won’t go wrong there. You come into the train station from the airport and it has a pickup point/courtesy bus outside the station if you have bags to carry on arrival. The rest of the time its walkable from the hotel back into the train station etc.

st1969
    Participant

Shinjuku or Shibuya. Plenty of decent hotels and easy enough to get where you need/want to be in Tokyo from both neighbourhoods. Otomesando or Roppongi also good. You might even consider Ikebukuro – all are well connected and have good amenities on your doorstep. But my first choice would still be either Shinjuku or Shibuya.

PhilbLND
    Participant

The Capitol Tokyu hotel is lovely and in a great location.

[quote quote=936562]I stayed at Hyatt Regency Shinjuku, which was a lovely hotel, with nice views, beautiful rooms and good views. It was also only a ten minute walk from Shinjuku Station which is one of the main stations in Tokyo.[/quote]

+1

I, too, based myself at the Hyatt Regency Shinjuku. Perfect stay. Not the most luxurious hotel in which you’ll ever stay, but a solid upscale option which is well-maintained and in a great location. As mentioned, walking distance to the transportation hub of the area, and a metro station is beneath the hotel itself. Some good department stores are within walking distance, too. Having said all of that, I remember seeing the Hilton (close proximity) and thinking that probably the two are very similar. The Hyatt Regency represents a reasonable price point for expensive Tokyo, too. Good luck w8ster!

capetonianm
    Participant

For my first (and only!) stay in Tokyo, which was a business trip, I stayed at the Imperial. I therefore have no point of comparison with other Tokyo hotels, but I did stay in ‘corporate’ type hotels in Osaka and Kyoto and good as they were, there was no comparison with the real Japanese feel of the Imperial.

The Imperial was gracious, spacious, charming, and welcoming. I looked forward to going back at the end of each day. Before I went to Japan I thought that the famed Japanese politeness would be cloying and ultimately unwelcome, in fact it felt so genuine and spontaneous that I enjoyed it.

There’s a lovely park opposite the Imperial and it’s close to amenities, shops, restaurants and everything one would want. Of course it’s 100% safe to walk around day or night.

I suspect it’s in the top bracket price wise, I wasn’t paying and at that time the company I worked for was penny wise pound foolish so we could stay anywhere we wanted.

I loved Japan. Definitely on my bucket list to go back for a personal visit and I would choose the Imperial.

w8ster
    Participant

[quote quote=936636]

I stayed at Hyatt Regency Shinjuku, which was a lovely hotel, with nice views, beautiful rooms and good views. It was also only a ten minute walk from Shinjuku Station which is one of the main stations in Tokyo.

+1

I, too, based myself at the Hyatt Regency Shinjuku. Perfect stay. Not the most luxurious hotel in which you’ll ever stay, but a solid upscale option which is well-maintained and in a great location. As mentioned, walking distance to the transportation hub of the area, and a metro station is beneath the hotel itself. Some good department stores are within walking distance, too. Having said all of that, I remember seeing the Hilton (close proximity) and thinking that probably the two are very similar. The Hyatt Regency represents a reasonable price point for expensive Tokyo, too. Good luck w8ster![/quote]

Rather interesting 🙂 I was in Tokyo 2015 (I am not the first time traveller :)) and that is exactly where I stayed too. As you mentioned it was easy to get anywhere.. well, apart from the initial disorientation after a long flight from London in a totally new surrounding. Might consider that again for sure.

TupeloKid
    Participant

Century Southern, Shinjuku. Airport “Limousine” bus picks up from there. Views of Mount Fuji from the rooms (and restaurant) on one side of the hotel, which starts at the 20th (or thereabouts) floor.

GivingupBA
    Participant

[quote quote=936517]Imagine first timer (one of two traveller anyway) in Tokyo. Limited to 4 /5 days (not including a plan for Kyoto after). Everyone tend to suggest Ginza for the easy access to everywhere.[/quote]

Another vote here (after many visits to Tokyo) for Shinjuku – now, I automatically go there. Regarding hotels, personally I don’t choose the more/ most expensive ones, because the second rank ones are so good in my opinion. I hope you enjoy your stay.

Markyah
    Participant

I was a first timer a few years ago on holiday, as opposed to a business trip with my wife, as part of silver wedding tour of Asia. Flew with EK into Narita and caught the amazingly efficient airport bus to Shinjuku and stayed at the Keio Plaza. I have stayed in better hotels but it was in a great location with very good rooms and breakfast. A 10 minute walk from Shinjuku station and we had a great view of the city from our room. The airport bus from Narita stops at the hotel – it takes about an hour – and we walked to Shinjuku station a few days later to catch the train down to Hakone. Don’t usually do buses but Japanese buses, well just a pretty seamless option. We dined in Shinjuku – so many options – and so easy to get to other parts of the city from there as well.

cosmoB2012
    Participant

Hi, a bit of an insider here as I lived and worked in Japan for 8 years. I still visit twice a year for work and I can recommend the “Mitsui Garden Hotels” for your stay. Most of them are brand new, modern and if booked early enough they are cheaper than the big chain hotels. They are more “Japanese” than the Western hotels which for a first-timer might be interesting. Ginza, Otemachi, Shinjuku, Shibuya, Tokyo Station are all good places to stay as they are close to the Yamanote Line which will bring you to the most sights.

SenatorGold
    Participant

Grand Hyatt or Park Hyatt.

Ade999
    Participant

I stayed at the Imperial and was really impressed even as part of a work group.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls