Where to stay in Thailand

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)

• Anonymous

RoadKing
    Participant

Hi all

I am taking my special one to what I hope will be a very romantic vacation for Christmas this year.

We’re flying to Bangkok, that much is set and done. But then…

My wife and I are looking for something not too quiet, but not busy either (like Phuket). A nice beach resort, clear water?

We will also spend a couple of days in Bangkok, central hotel?

Any recommendations?

Potakas
    Participant

I had the same romantic trip 3 years ago, we stayed at Bangkok Marriott Resort & Spa, it was excellent!! It is not a central Hotel but they have a complimentary boat shuttle which is very convenient (every 10 minutes until 00.00) across the river to a skytrain station, so the city center is 20 minutes distance (10 minutes the boat and 10 minutes with the skytrain).

The rest of my trip was at Koh Samui but i cannot reccoment the hotel I stayed there as it was not anything special (also i don’t remember its name )

http://www.marriott.co.uk/hotels/travel/bkkth-bangkok-marriott-resort-and-spa/

thfc1972
    Participant

Try Hui HIn it’s nice and quiet

VintageKrug
    Participant

I’m quite interested in this; my experience of resorts is that they are overpriced and underwhelming – thought the Aman was excellent though.

http://www.amanresorts.com/amanpuri/home.aspx

It will be stratospherically priced over Christmas, though. I haven’t yet stayed here, but it’s certainly on the list:

http://reserve.ritzcarlton.com/phulay_bay/home.aspx

RoadKing
    Participant

Thanks so much for the feedback guys. I am aware that my wallet will have to bleed for a stay at a resort in Thailand during Christmas… I will have to see where it ends up.

thfc1972, I have difficulties finding what/where Hui Hin is, could you provide some more information?

VK: It doesn’t have to be a resort, if you know a hotel or two that you want to recommend, feel free :-).

P.Sepsas; I stayed at this Marriot two years ago and was actually a bit disappointed. I had a junior suite, it was expensive and the interiors worn. I also was not very satisfied with the service level. Perhaps I was unfortunate, after all this was just after the riots.

Senator
    Participant

RoadKing,

You have my email address so I can come with a few pointers on the side.

In any case, for R&R I would travel to the Andeman Sea side of Thailand. Hua Hin and Koh Samui can’t compare to the crystal-clear waters off the West coast.

Islands like Koh Mook offer tranquillity, good quality resorts for a decent price. i took my mother to:
    http://www.komooksivalai.com/index.htm for her 60th and we had the time of our lives

For more “upbeat” you can go to Koh Phi Phil (Little Sweden) or Koh Lanta from Krabi.

We did stay at the Amari on Koh Samui which was excellent, but I don’t care so much for the overall Koh Samui experience.

In Bangkok I use the Hilton which was one of the best Hilton hotels I have enjoyed. Exec Lounge excellent as well as rooms.

If you really want to be adventures and splash some cash, I would go to the Four Season Tented Camp in Chang Rai. This is on top of my “wish list”.
    http://www.fourseasons.com/goldentriangle/

RoadKing
    Participant

Senator;

thanks for good ideas. I have been to Koh Samui myself and was as you mention, disappointed of the waters. I figure it will be the west coast. Going to check this tonight and chances are, I will send you an email.

I experienced Four Seasons in Singapore once, which was a fantastic stay.

CallMeIshmael
    Participant

Hi RoadKing –

Good choice.

My favourite places are Jamahjiri Spa Resort on Koh Tao

also Phi Phi Don Village on Phi Phi Island – though haven’t been here since the Tsunami so not sure how well it recovered.

RoadKing
    Participant

Thanks for the input CallMeIshmael, I would anticipate they should have recovered by now, will check it out.

JohnPhelanAustralia
    Participant

I visited Phi Phi island last year – it seems to have recovered completely from the tsunami, though is fairly ramshackle. Water is lovely.

Re Bangkok, I love the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit – well-placed on Sukhumvit Rd, skyrail stop right outside, really lovely (and large) rooms.

hendry5
    Participant

I am going to Phuket with my wife and would like to get some advice whether it’s worth of visit to Fantasea show. Also wondering which one is better between James Bond or Koh Phi Phi island. Anyone ever stayed at Novotel Panwa?

pariyap
    Participant

My choice for beach hotel is Sri Panwa in Phuket.

For BKK hotel, I recommend hotel along BTS sky train such as Siam Kempinski, Centara grand @ Central world, Hyatt Erwan, Four Seasons, etc

thebigseats
    Participant

Hi hendry5

Fantasea is really not my cup of tea. A fully “packaged” almost circus-type show. It’s all very cliched & tired. A no-no indeed from me! Phi Phi is a lovely day out – beautiful scenery/beach some shopping/casual dining. Excellent. Never made it to “James Bond Island” despite many visits to Phuket. but understand it is quite lovely. Cannot comment on Novotel Panwa as I prefer the Northwest of the Island. Great spot. Hope this helps.

thertsak
    Participant

hi roadking,
    try sheraton grande laguna in phuket — lots of swimming pool in resort and the thai restauwant chao lay is actually pretty good; also if you have time, try anantara in hua hin, nice small htl.
    hope this helps.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls