Where to stay in Thailand

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)

• mussaman
    Participant

sheraton is nice bit tired, the villas area is very nice but it shuts soon to be refrubed and rebranded as Anatara (banyan tree group) great spa there too – do love the sheraton as a nice place to stay and reasonable…

In Bangkok Centara Grand very good, cant beat the oriental for riverside luxury , hilton though great value, if you want to stay on sukhumvit then Sheraton Grand or Millenium, if savingg pennies the recent opened four points is excellent value and brand new.

RoadKing
    Participant

Fantastic feedback! Thanks so much everybody.

1968andrea
    Participant

We regularily stay at Le Meridien in Khao Lak. The setting is beautiful and close enough to Khao Lak town to venture in by taxi for a change of scenery. Beach villas are great!

Day trips to the Surin and Similan Islands are also availible.

If price isn’t an issue take a look at the Sarojin in Khao Lak.

poisonedcabinair
    Participant

Plaza Athnee Meridien, Top of Wireless Road (opp. British Embassy) is excellent especially if you have access to their Executive Lounge.

For Chill out privacy, The Six Senses Spa / Evason at Pranburi 15 mins south of Hua Hin, in one of their private pool villas …wonderful!

If you want to be in Hua Hin, The Sofitel (old Railway Hotel) is stylish, convenient for the town, has its own beach and own private pool villas.

Hua Hin is understated compared to noisy brash resorts such as Pattaya and Phuket. 2 hour limo road from centre of Bangkok. Plenty of Golf Courses

donkeyasia
    Participant

Sarojin is fantastic, English owned, and a day trip by boat to Phuket is worth doing. in Bangkok, the Millennium Grande in Asoke is only 200 meters from the Sukhumvit, the subway and overhead train systems. if you can spare a couple if days away from town and beach go to Chiang Mai to Four Season or Mandarin Oriental for spas and elephant walks. The Sofitel (really 5-Star) in Khon Kaen is one hour away from bangkok by plane. the area is real rural Thailand totally untouched by tourists and has great craft villages to visit. i live in Thailand and still am amazed about what is new and untouched away from the beaches and islands. let em know if you need any specific addresses. donkey

Gridley
    Participant

Our favourite hotel in Bangkok is the Eugenia – an old Thai house with only 12 large, comfortable bedrooms. It has a small pool and very good restaurant and feels like being in a private house rather than an impersonal chain hotel.

barnacles
    Participant

Road King: I’m surprised no-one has mentioned the Peninsula in BKK. On the ‘wrong’ side of the river, but all the better for that, since the views of ‘downtown’ BKK, especially if you can blag an upper floor suite, are breathtaking. String trio plays twice-weekly in the lobby, the three-tiered swimming pool is a model of taste and refinement, while the outdoor dining terrace is splendid. Smart pseudo-old boat transfers across the river to the Mandarin Oriental/Skytrain pier. And the usual combination of classy elegance and discreet high-tech touches in the rooms.

For something different at the beach, you could try Koh L:ipe, known as ‘the Maldives of Thailand). I agree with other contributors that the west coast/Andaman Sea is generally best. Idyllic Resort, Sunrise Beach. Easiest way to get to Lipe is through Langkawi (Telaga Terminal).

Essentially if you choose an upmarket enough place you’re unlikely to go wrong in Thailand, in my opinion. Have fun!

skywards
    Participant

When i stay in Bangkok i always stay in The Majestic Grande…on Soi2 Suhumvit Road near Nana….but maybe it might be a bad place to stay as Nana Plaza with all it’s gogo bars is 5 minutes away by foot..

Hua Hin is a nice place to stay….it’s where the King spent most of his time when he was in good health…you have all the top hotels there like The Hilton and Marriott….i know people moan on about the Russian holiday makers in Thailand but in Hua Hin i didn’t see any….but who knows they might be there in mass by now…..Hua Hin is around 3 hours from Bangkok by taxi and a little more by train.

bkkman1
    Participant

Living in BKK for 10 years I can tell you that BKK at this time of year is one of the best times to be here. Weather is good, prices for hotels are good, because most people have left fthe capital for the holidays.

Bangkok Marriott resort on the river is an excellent choice with an amazingly good Sunday brunch, Peninsula also fantastic.

Phuket, Samui are all tops for ripping people off on rates at this time of year.

V Villas at Hua Hin offer private Pool Villas and although rates are high, it is a great place and only 2 hours from BKK so save on extra flight costs and hastle.

thebigseats
    Participant

Let’s summarise;

Hua Hin – a quiet/sleepy seaside town. A small busy centre, with a choice of restaurants/bars. Outside of this is v. v. little. Peaceful outside the centre, yes, but plenty to do – not really.Good choice of the usual 4*+ hotels (plus cheapies too, of course) & some luxury options too..

Phuket – an island of contrasts. Very busy south west & south coast resorts contrasted with the less busy Northwest & Esat coast resorts. In Phuket you will find pretty much anty style of beach holiday you care to look for & a bewildering array of restaurants/bars to suit all tastes. Hotels – well, all of the usual 4*+ suspects (and the super-cheap options too) plus many boutique & luxury options. You just have to pick & choose carefully.

Bangkok has soooo many options – too many to go into here – my pick is the Millennium Hilton – excellent combination of location, service, price. Tthey have Executive floor that all hotels should have-super service! The Suites are super value too.

RoadKing
    Participant

Wow, this is becoming difficult, so many great suggestions and waaay to little time. Will have to spend some time digesting all this.
    Thanks so much to everybody!

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

RoadKing:

I know is is overwhelming and one is spoiled for choice.

Just choose a number of desired hotels and make a number of cards and let your pet’s animal instinct to pick one out radomly for you!

Sit back, relax and enjoy!

skywards
    Participant

I have noticed a few people have said Hua Hin is about 2 hours away? Well i have been 7 times to Hua Hin 3 via SGA airlines on a Cessna 12 seater plane and 4 via taxi….i have never getting there in 2 hours…the flight used to take 50 minuts and that was cutting across the sea…my longest trip to Hua Hin by road was during Songkran and that was 11 hours….but Hua Hin i know for a fact is not 2 hours away…unless its during the night and the taxi driver is a deranged driver…im off to Hua Hin in 6 weeks time and i shall time the taxi journey.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Skyward:

I was wondering about the 2-hour journey as my recollection of the various car trips was at least 3 hours or more!

talparis
    Participant

For a different approach to your plans, you can try:
    Koh Sumet island is a great alternative with relax beach villas at reasonable prices at 3 hours drive from Bangkok. Away from the usual tourists crowd.
    Sukhothai in BKK is probably the most special 5* hotel around, with large grounds and pool in a beautiful setup of low rise.
    Enjoy……………

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls