When will people stop trying to take silly amounts of hand baggage on board?

Back to Forum
Viewing 2 posts - 61 through 62 (of 62 total)

• IanFromHKG
    Participant

I love the idea of allocated space. I do remember one (just one!) domestic flight in the US where the crew had put little handwritten cards on the handles for the overhead bins in the First Class section indicating the lockers were reserved for particular seat numbers, and left the lockers closed. Bliss. Only US domestic flight I can remember where economy passengers didn’t lob their bags into the first bin they passed. Mind you, at least in FC in the US they are prepared to give you a pre-departure drinks and nuts so there is some incentive to be on the plane early rather than in the lounge waiting until the last possible moment to board, which is my normal M.O.

Now, let’s look at a bit of history.

When I grew up, I would never have dreamt of putting my bag anywhere other than above my own seat/row unless it was already full, in which case I would try to put it nearby. The idea of using up other peoples’ locker space if I didn’t have to was complete anathema. Mind you, back then, there didn’t seem to be much of a problem with locker space. This really is a recent phenomenon. So what has caused that?

Well, the only reasons I can think of are (a) growing selfishness, (b) airline charges,(c) growing pressure on locker space due to airline reconfiguration (more seats, more bums, more bags), and (d) growing concern about airlines’ ability to deliver luggage I do accept this last point having suffered way over the average in the last few years, but overall I believe it is an acceptable risk. So that leaves (a), (b) and ©.

I can’t help but think that airlines have brought these factors onto themselves – may not (a), but (b) and (c) have, I am sure, contributed to (a) and to the overall problem

PeterCoultas
    Participant

WillieW: those with 1 handbag only board first – brilliant !

Viewing 2 posts - 61 through 62 (of 62 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls