When will people stop trying to take silly amounts of hand baggage on board?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)

• ba747fan1
    Participant

I agree it would not work if all 179 others did the same and if it a peak time domestic flight then I would tend to put a bag in the hold (though then usually I find there is loads of space typically as business people travelling for the day do not have much luggage). I do not believe a cut off point is suited to a non – LCC as golds and silvers should not have to rush from the lounge to get bin space. I genuinely never see a huge problem on LHR flights and so I must be lucky (LGW I have seen chaos). As for long haul, I tend to always go club (or pay for upgrade to first) and so there is usually plenty of space. I do believe that HBO may have made the position worse at certain times and then to me becomes pointless if BA then let peeople on these fares put luggage in the hold. I never buy HBO as for the sake of £10ish, I would rather have a row 1 seat on a domestic than be in the middle.

canucklad
    Participant

After my experience coming back from Faro, an idea has popped into my head.

As I said earlier, there was no way I was being punished for being well within the size limits for my bag.
    For me, what needs to be combatted is the selfishness of people traipsing on with so much hand luggage; they would need to employ an octopus as an aide. And have the audacity to cram all their worldly belongings above them.
    So, what I’d like to see enforced is simply this…….. One bag above, everything else under the seat in front !!
    Even if it means turning their seat into a leg cramping torture chamber.

But, I’m not that much of a sadist….Once everyone has boarded and there is still space, then those with multiple bags can then avail of any space left.

ba747fan1
    Participant

Canuklad – seems a good idea!

simeoncox
    Participant

Asian hubs are becoming stricter with cabin luggage, as K1ngston points out, especially the more established carriers. As the traffic in Asia increases, and more people become used to flight flying, over-the-top cabin luggage will settle down to reasonable levels. It’s the excitement of first flyers. Be patient with them, but also encourage / petition airlines to enforce their carry-on limits.

DerekVH
    Participant

In the latest edition of Up to Speed, the BA in-house magazine, there is a new feature where Alex Cruz is interviewed by a member of cabin crew from Eurofleet. One of the questions was “Do you appreciate the difficulties hand baggage-only fares cause in getting everyone’s bags in the cabin?

The politician’s response from the CEO was “I acknowledge that commercial decisions sometimes have immediate operational impact and need careful planning. We must work together to minimise delays and maintain safety while continuing to look for ways to compete more effectively. But I listen to feedback from cabin crew and other colleagues every day. I appreciate constructive feedback. t doesn’t mean we agree every time but we can work together”

So don’t expect any change to this policy any time soon!

WillieWelsh
    Participant

I would imagine that following that interview with Cruz cabin crew are feeling even less valued than they ever did. Nothing like a CEO who pays scant regard to safety. One day a 23kg bag will land on someones head possibly killing them.

That will do wonders for shareholder value.

SimonS1
    Participant

@canucklad – indeed, great in theory, but when you only have 3/4 crew and almost 200 passengers it’s hard to police.

The easiest solution is to stop excessive baggage entering the aircraft in the first place. Other airlines seem to manage this ok.

WillieWelsh
    Participant

Perhaps people with one bag should be allowed to board first and place it in the overhead. After that allow the rest to have space in the overheads if there is any and then they have to place the rest under the seat in front of them. Allow ten to board at a time and once it’s full the rest goes straight to the hold.

Or as ever, two in business, one in economy like most airlines.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

williewelsh, now that’s an idea that makes sense which means it will never happen

SimonS1
    Participant

Just follow the easyjet model.

1. People with priority boarding board first. One bag plus laptop case under the seat

2. Non priority people board after. Allowance 1 bag, if you have two then stopped. Bags are counted and when the capacity is reached then remaining bags in the hold free of charge.

Not so hard really.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ SimonS1 – 17/06/2016 12:53 BST

+1 Just so.

There would appear to be an element of the truculent and the obtuse about BA management’s failure to think through the operational/behavioural consequences of their pricing/sales decisions – i.e. the introduction of HBO and allowing 23kg of carry-on. After all, EZY and others have been showing how it’s managed for years now.

JohnHarper
    Participant

A management failure at BA? Surely not.

And all those bonuses paid out for failure? What is the world coming to?

bluemooner
    Participant

Isn’t it about time the aircraft designers came up with a new idea for storage of carry on luggage.
    Perhaps a compartment under the seat and/or larger overhead lockers.

Edski777
    Participant

Bluemooner, they have. It’s called “the hold” 😉
    A pity they charge you when you use it.

It might be an idea to charge for carry-on in stead.
    Safer, quicker to board and safer for passengers sitting underneath. It also prevents a lot of uncomfortavle discussions about “my” space.

canucklad
    Participant

And the trouble with creating /designing storage (more) it’ll just be filled. Sort of like the new road argument !!

However, if someone can design an overhead bin, locker or whatever that is aligned to your seat number I’d doff my cap to them. That way everyone has the exact same space.

Then again, maybe I’ve inadvertently given the aviation industry bean counters another ancillary charge to consider screwing us over with !

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls