What is the most useless piece of travel advice you have ever been given?

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

• Tom Otley
    Keymaster

canuckland – I’ve heard others suggest the same when it comes to weight allowance. I’ve also seen that Blu-tack on the armrests – glad to learn the background / reason.

TominScotland
    Participant

Pack of peanuts on a flight with an airline that shall remain nameless:

“This product may contain nuts”

Coldbat
    Participant

That the convenience of using airport FX kiosks saves both time and money.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

[quote quote=757745]That the convenience of using airport FX kiosks saves both time and money.

[/quote]
    When in fact internally they are referred to as “Distressed purchases”. Quite.

Flightlevel
    Participant

Well adding to the maternal advice I was told to fly on safe airlines, at the time I said I fly on QF,CX,& BA & the only other airline that safe is SQ, & I don’t use them because different alliance!

canucklad
    Participant

Just remembered another belter Tom,

DYKWIA in reverse….
    Talking to my mates “Fur Coat-no knickers” wife, she seriously suggested that she wore larger than life dark sunglasses , possibly a wig, but definitely a big hat and scarf !!
    Her logic…this would increase the chance of an UG or at the very best, ensure much better service because the airline and hotel staff would faugn all over her .Asssuming her to be a famous VIP travelling incognito .

When I pointed out that, her name would be on the ticket and passport, I was swiftly rebuked with the curt answer “ That’s the whole point, they won’t know who she is, so how will they know how important she is!!”

Chastised I kept my opiions to myself

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

In fairness, FDOS, that was aeons ago and in an entirely different economic and competitive climate in which the slogan actually meant something real. It is not a strap line that they are likely to propose now, I would venture to suggest.

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

[quote quote=758804]When I pointed out that, her name would be on the ticket and passport, I was swiftly rebuked with the curt answer “ That’s the whole point, they won’t know who she is, so how will they know how important she is!!”[/quote]

That one is pure, pure gold.

It just occurs to me that my name is the same as that of the spouse of a well-known multi-millionaire and philanthropist. Got to be worth a try….

Iain
    Participant

This is sensible advice as setting your watch to destination time and not constantly harping back to the time at your originating country helps to ease the effects of jet lag.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls