What hotel amenities do you use?

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

• RHMAngel
    Participant

For me, business or pleasure – a pool is always a god send, especially after long haul.

In hot countries, less worried about a sauna or steam room being available.

I really rate business hotels that have an indoor pool, or any pool for that matter – that is longer than a few arm flaps – ie. at least 12m preferrably 20m. Any more and I’m a very happy guest.

Anything 10m or less, really, why do they bother.

Long haul, I make time … it brings me back to the timezone I just landed in.

Unlike Beckyboop, I certainly don’t use everything she listed as I was shocked to find, hotels now charging for use for many of the things listed, using a business centre ? printing, internet access, fruit, chocolates ?!

Even if the company is picking up the tab, there’s ‘taking liberties’ which my boss wouldn’t approve for claiming back.

Don’t get me started on huge variation of business hotels and chains charging or not, for Wi-Fi, which as a business traveller, staying connected with a laptop, PDA or even smart phone with WiFi enabled, is critical, and I strongly object to the $$ per room charge, and the nerve to still charge extra…

I’m sure no one objects to ‘fair useage’ policy for a swimming pool or indeed WiFi. Of course not all guests use either, but some do. Its what makes a business or leisure trip.

(Only in Japan, has the pool and leisure facilties been charged extra for, because it was contracted out, to a local private gym chain – everywhere else, its part of hotel and thus free to use)

handbag
    Participant

Complimentary Internet should now be available at all major hotels.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

I dont pay, my company does. As for taking liberties, well i dont hence i never raid the mini bar. Becasue i book and orgainse meetings/events in hotels they will ususally comp me so i will get things like a free room upgrade, spa treatment, fruit or chocolates, otherwise my boss will treat me to a treatment. The two things i do draw the line at is the Mini bar and the Wifi. However i always do check the cost and get the ok before proceeding. The pool, sauna and steam is a must at the end of each day before getting ready to go for dinner. However this can sometimes be a nightmare if it is a weekend or school holiday

RHMAngel who charged you for the use of the business centre? some times that is the best way to get free internet access.

Handbag – all five star hotels will charge you usually £15-25 per day and sometimes per device!!! x

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

Wrt Wi-Fi – in the US have found most if not all hotels have free Wi-Fi included. In the UK most try to charge but may be negotiable in some cases. Germany it is mostly free whereas in the far-east I find the more stars the more likely it is to be included.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

For all Hilton Gold members staying in Hiltons the wifi is free.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Fairmont are rubbish they charge you for WIFI but if you join the Presidents club its free and from what i remember you dont need any status to get it.

RichHI1
    Participant

Starwood wifi is free for elites. Use that, use club lounge to relax acter office. And I guess soap and shampoo. My pet hate is when they conduse the bottles and you have two shower gels or mouthwashes instead of a shampoo. Trying to get one late at night invariably means long wait. Other thing I use is comp bottle water.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

What exactly is the difference between shower gel and shampoo. Never check which one I use and there appears to be no difference!!

Shower gels/Shampoos and mouthwash, I do tend to notice a difference!!

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Senator
    Participant

No pun intended:
    The bed
    The shower
    The towels
    are all obligatory 🙂

Then I tend to look for a gym (either for business or pleasure) and being the miles/point prostitute I am preferably somewhere I can earn some of these.

Wifi is nice
    Lounge is nice (I tend to use the Hilton Metropole in London, and the end room of the lounge is my London HQ)
    Decent food on-site, or close by
    Proper breakfast, a must for me
    Liquid shower gel/soap

Despite my young self, I am a creature of habit and like the Corporate style hotels as they tend to have what I need

RHMAngel
    Participant

@Becky

Sorry my bad, I wasn’t implying you taking liberties, it was language attributed to myself, conveyed to me, I would be taking liberties.

@tete, unfortuantely I find the opposite. Every time I’m in US, with major 4-5 star chains, they charged for WiFi, despite rooms being in excess of $150+. One trip, my colleague traveling kicked up such a disgusted face, fuss about the charge, the receptionist relented as a “gesture of good will”.

In my own experience of business travel, actually its been the more stars a chain or hotel has, the more likely they think they get away with charging for “extras” like WiFi. Staying in cheaper hotel chains for sport or mates weekend away, ironically at a quarter or third of the posh business hotels room rate, its been free.

Hong Kong was the most recent place on the Bay, another top hotel, charged for the business suite, or rather using their computers per MINUTE xCents to a) connect to the internet, and b) print (less worried about that, as fair dues, its to stop wasteful printing and trees). And they wanted (HK$) $20 per day (ie. per 24 hr period)…and I was there 8 nights (!)

Seriously. In the end locals (Hong Kongers) a) suggested WiFi was free in metro stations for my iPhone/PDA, and b) again kind Hong Kong folk I met in meetings let me “tether” to their smart phone.

Only when I return, was I told, a reasonable fee ‘might’ be reimbursed for a day or so, but not 8.

While I hold some loyalty cards for the international chains, unlike some I don’t have gold status, not least I’ve taken to handing over my frequent flyer miles instead rather than the hotel chain’s card.

Yes, seriously, a business hotel, and 4 star or higher… US, Far East, they’re all for charging what they can for these “amenities” as the exam question calls them. Why ? a friend in the business said, they know business users will claim, and most companies will reimburse.

Perhaps I should work for Beckyboop’s company, who lets her gets box of chocs, and comp this and that *winks*

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

I am almost the opposite to Inquisitive.

On business, I just really need a bed, shower and wifi. (In certain areas of the world, I’ll insist on 4-5* for safety reasons.)

On holiday, I do like a nice 5* resort and use many of the facilities.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls