What are your best/worst airport security experiences?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 82 total)

• PatJordan
    Participant

We brought my (elderly) mother to New York a few months after 9/11. Security was still very high, and on returning through JFK, we were prepared for the additional security measures. I, my wife and son whizzed through security.

Not so my poor (and by then confused) mother. Every time she passed through the arch, the metal detector beeped. After a few pat downs from very professional (and equally confused) security staff, we discovered the problem……..a few religious medals my mother wore around her neck, but beneath her clothing!

We still laugh about this, but most importantly we remember the good humour of the security staff who were tasked with a difficult job, but carried it out with aplomb.

Pat

stevescoots
    Participant

a few years ago I my laptop battery failed and the laptop nwould only work on mains power, unfortunatly security at frankfurt wanted me to turn my laptop on but my charger was in my case!…fortuantly a fellow traveller came to my rescue as he was using same model and had a charger with him…otherwise they woudl have kept it!

Security at CDG made me disassemble a XDA docking cradle to see what the black mass showing on Xray was inside the device. they wouldnt accept it was the stabalising weight, at least they had a screwdriver I could use!

being stripped searched in Boston airport because i left the gate area to go to the toilet, I left my bag with my colleagues so it never left the gate but security still insisted on screening it again, I questioned them..politley..they didnt like it so I got pulled to the side room!

An immigration officer at ORD who prioceeded to lecture me and then ask me my life story becuase I forgot to tick male or female box.he asked me which I was, I said sorry I must have missed that part so got the lecture on how important the forms are etc etc.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

No “Best” to report!

Worst at JFK when I had a lighter confiscated despite lighters being allowed. Very rude security man who basically threatened me with arrest if i dared complain. Meanwhile other pax with lighters were going through without problem. Difference was theirs were cheap plastic ones and mine was a nice new one bought in NY.

I now only carry cheap plastic ones and have never had a problem since!!!

stevescoots
    Participant

Lugano, during the olympics the chinese were going OTT on security. when I got home after flying out of CAN I found a nice note saying they had removed and destroyed 2 artlicles from my case. A zippo lighter which I had actually already disassembled into its componant parts and thrown the wadding, and my spare blackberry. As the battery was with it (but not actually in the phone). It posed an explosive risk and was prohibited….unlike the phones in your pocket!

with that sort of logic i did not even bother to complian about it!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Steve, I can picture said official talking on now “his” Blackberry, lighting confiscated cigars (on the basic they look like sticks of dynamite) with your Zippo! ;-),

RichHI1
    Participant

I do not know if it has changed but when I travelled to Shanghai regular (2 x10 day trips for 18 months), I loved Shanghai PVG security. Anywhere else on the planet if you are male you get patted down by a male (sometimes dubious I admit) and if you are female you get patted down by a female (same applies). Not at PVG, each screening line had an officer assigned, some male, some female, some young, some not. You could tell which line had the young ladies assigned by the length of the lines. I remember many times there were 4 or 5 people in a line and open lines with no one. Maybe when Western civilization is as old as Chinese we can approach these levels of civility.
    Other side EZE, (Buenos Aires). Machine bleeps every time you don”t bother to remove liquids or computers and the 2-3 officers assigned continue to smoke their cigarettes and just wave everyone through. Although Argentina has had some terrorist problems at times, cannot remember an Argentinian highjacking or terrorist attack….

stevescoots
    Participant

Rich, yes they do and at most chinese airports. women travellers get women all the time, men get both, service with a smile!

lloydah
    Participant

Arr.JFK I was sent for secondary screening because my hold luggage which I was now carrying was my biking gear. “Suitcase full of leathers and boots Sir? Ahh, I ride a Harley Sir, no problem. Have a good trip.” Dep Boston fast track recently my car keys were in my hand luggage to save time at LHR and despite the fact that they were clearly keys with the Audi rings they were taken, re x-rayed, conference with 3 officials, explain the markings, reg of the car etc etc until I wondered if they had ever heard of that marque.

stevescoots
    Participant

I used to get special screening at every US airport as i had 4 x S on my boarding passes. because all my trips were 1 way…

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Just been through HKG. Security screening picked up the pint sized travel deodorant aerosol but thankfully missed my large aftershave and all purpose Swiss metal helper (admittedly a mini version). As I was hoping to get an earlier flight check in suggested I took my bags through so I could use the lounge, so I took the risk with the items.

Whilst I do consider security of paramount importance, it is becoming slightly farcical and jobs worth.

As Agamemnon says – I think the key word is consistency. I do find European officers quickest on the seizure front. I’ve lost count how many innocuous, everyday items I’ve had taken over the years when departing the likes of Heathrow, Birmingham and Milan – but I can’t recall having much taken away from me when leaving Dubai for Europe, or travelling inbound to the Gulf from Asia.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

what happens to all things have they take off you do the staff get to keep it? xx

AlohaHonolulu
    Participant

The best has to be Lanai. The TSA barricades are unmanned, you just board the plane! The worst security experience is a tie between LAX and EWR – kabuki theatre at its worst. NRT security lines can be very long but bearable. NRT also used to do last minute security checks during boarding. After vigorous complaints, I think they decided to shelve the practice.

AlohaHonolulu
    Participant

Reply to BeckyBook. I’ve seen the staff take items all the time. They are just brain dead when it comes to public perception. They don’t even bother to wait until you’re out of sight. Your option is to write it in to the TSA Supervisor at that specific airport.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Its a pity that the unopened & confiscated liquids (alcohol) that are removed from passengers cant be given away to charities such as the old folk’s home. Presume HMRC would boil over with rage if that were to happen – instead, its supposedly opened and poured down the drain…..that to me is a disgusting and unacceptable waste!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 82 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls