What are your best/worst airport security experiences?

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 76 through 82 (of 82 total)

• SimonRowberry
    Participant

Stanley1,

I am extremely surprised that it is a female conducting the pat-down on you these days.

The worst I ever had was at Bucharest in the early 90s, when you were screened on arrival airside, when you entered the terminal once you had been dropped off by the bus from the aircraft. My wife had her breasts handled (by a woman) and I had my nether regions grabbed by a guy who smiled and said “Kalashnikov?” – a very scary situation as in those days there was no evident recourse to anyone in higher authority and one had little choice but endure physical abuse.

Simon

Ricardo
    Participant

SimonR… “Kalashnikov?” – could have been worse. Could have been Walter PPK 9mm !!!

Ciao, R.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Ricardo,

Very droll! Or even a “Saturday Night Special”……

S

Henryp1
    Participant

For me Singapore of all places, staff just very rude and argumentative.
    Henry

SimonRowberry
    Participant

I had an utterly bizarre experience at BHX this morning.

The chap standing next to me at the security check had a plastic tube with him, used to carry rolled plans and maps. As it was a couple of feet long, it wouldn’t fit into the plastic basket and he handed it to the member of staff.

The member of staff then said “It looks like a rocket launcher.” He turned to his colleague behind him who was at the monitor screen and said “Look at this. It’s just the right size” then put it on his shoulder and went “bang!!” Three or four of us in the queue were staggered by this joke.

The guy whose tube it was said to the security man “If I had just made that joke, I would be liable to arrest!” The security man replied “I was only trying to be cheerful.”

I have his name. Given the hassle that many of you have been subjected to by exactly people in this position at airports throughout the world, I wonder what your view is on whether I should make a formal complaint? I found his “joke” to be totally out of order and, after all, he is supposed to be setting an example to the rest of us.

Regards, Simon

VintageKrug
    Participant

That’s extraordinary.

I’d write in to the Airport Manager; there’s no point in writing to the Head of Security as they can brush something like this under the carpet.

Though, having said that, I’m not certain I’d put my trust in “Gary”:

http://www.birminghamairport.co.uk/meta/careers/employee-testimonials/airport-manager.aspx

SimonRowberry
    Participant

VK

Indeedy. Fortunately I’ve worked with people at a higher level at BHX and I’ve not even come across “Gary” before. I will make appropriate representations. Although the security staff at BHX are usually much better than most, I did find the chap’s joke tasteless in the extreme.

Simon

Viewing 7 posts - 76 through 82 (of 82 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls