What are your 5 best airlines?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)

• MrDarwin
    Participant

Qatar Airways – Hard and soft J products have been consistently excellent for years
    Oman Air – Highly underrated airline in J
    BA – Club Europe regionally and Club Suite for long haul
    Emirates – a380 J is still an enjoyable ride for me
    Easyjet – Does what it says on the tin, consistently meets expectations

Rferguson2
    Participant

So delighted to see Oman Air pop up in a few lists on here despite their small size. In my experience, they trump Qatar.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Nicholas Bacon
    Participant

Of course the experience is very often quite different depending on whether short-haul or long-haul, premium route, domestic or international , front or back of the plane, where you are located etc.

Taking all the above into consideration my top 5 would be:

Singapore Airlines (but they are not quite as good as they used to be)
    Cathay Pacific (ditto)
    ANA (maybe now the very best?)
    JAL (Japanese service and food always a joy)
    BA (it’s always seems to be fashionable to knock BA but the new Club World seat really is better than the current SQ business class seat and the food is excellent- I never thought I would say that; also BA has very strong transatlantic network)

I would also add that EVA are growing in my estimation and one to watch. I like Vietnam Airlines, Thai and Bangkok Airways but perhaps more for sentimental reasons. Can’t think of a more delightful regional airline than Bangkok Airways.

FormerBA
    Participant

Mine are( in no particular order)

Qatar.
    Cathay.
    American – I know that wont be popular but I love the simple well prepared food and the Ice cream sundae. In my experience they are also very punctual and handle disruption brilliantly.Their international business class on 777-300 was years ahead of BA but is now showing signs of age.
    Japan Airlines.
    Qantas.

I am about to try Delta, a first for me and I’ll have a long time to check out the Delta One suite as flying to Australia the long way!

BPP
    Participant

Talking J only. Flew EVA to Bangkok and back very recently (see my post) as good as most and better than many. Lufthansa some mounths ago to BKK via Munich was a disaster. Used to be Qatar gold but prices now excessive – but they were the best. Have used BA in CE a few times – no real issues. Thai from Bangkok to Chiang Mai was fun in J but not available now it seems.

summerfly
    Participant

For me BA for ex LHR direct flights, the new J class is much improved and I get all my short haul flights for free as reward flights, plus Swiss & Qatar & Singapore airlines & Lufthansa

w8ster
    Participant

I would agree with this. Did CDG-DXB last year in business because Emirates wanted a few livers for a ticket.. Pleasantly surprised apart from the old lounge at CDG which really should be shut down. About to travel AF again this week to Paris.

I think AF is probably the only airline I would order a steak in the sky.. Not my usual medium rare for steak but they manage to be it medium and tender every time. I wish they would start using the newer aircrafts to DXB though.. the 772 are getting on a bit.

Emirates Business is my most frequently used and it really depends on the crew. We know the hard product on A380 is good (I almost go out of my way to avoid 777 till they upgrade the hard product) but I find crew very inconsistent. Some routes are amazing and some made sure you know they are doing you a favour by serving you food. Each of my First experience with Emirates had been disaster (like wrong meal, no drinks bad) so I don’t bother anymore. Tried writing to them constructively but all I got back were excuses with no apologies and in condescending tone. Who needs those caviars and DPs if they are going to be so terrible at treating you.

DannyBoy
    Participant

First Class: Air France

Business class: BA (long and short)

Economy inc PE: No preference.

LCC: JetBlue

Lounges: Qantas

Honourable mention: Saudia – when you have the latest cabins and flying through the new Jeddah terminal, they are very good.

Up and coming: Air Inda – never flown but I am keen based on the work planned with merging with Vistara.

Overall: BA – They are my local airline and whilst not perfect they do generally deliver for me I would say 75% without an issue. I am content with all seats even the old Club World ones as most of the time long haul I am sleeping. Ticket prices can be scandalous at times but if you shop around and are patient you can still bag a bargain. just wish they would give a healthier option to afternoon tea and sort boarding. The LHR lounges whilst not world leading, are currently in the process of getting at least getting a refresh which is welcomed.

esselle
    Participant

Hi W8ster

Surprised to read your comments about EK F. Have flown 20+ sectors on A380/773 over the past few years and they have all been faultless. Best ever was GVA/DXB on 773 and then DXB/MEL onward on an A380 in April of this year. Not sure what they could have done better.

w8ster
    Participant

@esselle I was surprised myself as I have heard many good things about them. That said have also heard consistently that it all depends if there is a VVIP in and that is when everyone else is second class even in First. I don’t know who was on that flight (DXB/KUL) of it there was anyone. I guess Gold member in First is rather bottom of the barrel.

I know it is a first world problem but this is what happened:
    1. I got my after take off drink after the person on the opposite suite was on his second serving and I only asked for champagne. The cabin supervisor did spend a lot of time chatting to him.
    2. When they took the meal order, I opted for the steak and requested a specific wine from the list saying I would like that with the steak. It took nearly 10 minutes before someone came to ask if I wanted a drink. I was trying to hold off eating because I wanted to enjoy it with the wine and I said very politely that I had asked for that specific red to go with my meal. waited another 5 minutes before a different crew came with a different red and again I explained that’s not what I requested for. The supervisor (who took the order) came to apologize and said the right one will come shortly and then she went to speak to my neighbour again.5 minutes later, someone did come but again with the wrong wine which I again pointed out politely. By then I had started eating because the steak was getting cold and I was hungry. The right wine arrived when I was 3/4 done with the meal.

Those were just 2 examples of events during the flight. What really got me angry was when I provided the feedback after the flight through their feedback link on Emirates website, the response I got was nothing short of accusations that I should have informed the crew on the spot there was a problem and they were “sorry I FELT the service wasn’t up to standard” and that I should raise it on the spot with the supervisor.. at no point actually apologizing for it. I responded to that message saying I thought it was condescending of them to deal with a situation by blaming me for not making a scene on the flight. I never got a reply after that.

I am sure they are great to majority but with both my experience, they are definitely not worthy.

Agree with @DannyBoy best First : Air France La Premiere (CDG/DXB)

esselle
    Participant

Thanks w8ster

Sounds unfortunate.

100% on La Premiere. Exceptional.

cosmoB2012
    Participant

My top 5 ( I do fly only biz, so all are based on J-class experiences):

1.) Thai (due to excellent food and the best crews)

2.) Qatar (due to Q-suite, modern airplanes and great lounges)

3.) BA (due to the Club Suite and great crews)

4.) JAL (due to great seats, good food and lounges)

5.) SQ (due to great seats and excellent food)

I am a Lufthansa Senator for the last 20 years and LH is not in my Top 20 preferred airlines.

Worst airline in 2023 for me was EK, super old planes apart of the A380, rude crews and hideous service.

3 users thanked author for this post.

cosmoB2012
    Participant

I had two flights with EK this year from ARN to DXB and from DXB to MEL. I was rebooked from Thai, as they had technical problems.
    Both flights were among the worst business class flights I have experienced in the last 30 years. ARN to DXB was on an extremely dated 777, I first thought they had rebooked me in Premium Economy, buts supposedly it was really business class. No privacy, a row of three seats in the middle. The service was hideous, it took 95 minutes for a drink to arrive and the food service commenced 2,5 hours after departure. The food was mediocre, the service worse. Asking the purser why everything is so slow, he told me “all colleagues are new, so they don´t know what they are doing, so I will help them”. No amenity bag on a 5,5 hours flight.
    Then a transfer in Dubai where I used their humongous but completely outdated lounge. In the lounge the monitor told us, that our flight to Melbourne is not ready, then suddenly 20 minutes before departure the purser of the flight appears and tells us “last call, if you do not rush, we will unload your luggage”, ok 40 people who had to go through an additional security check were more than angry to be treated like that. In the plane no greating, but they highlighted that “the 20 crew members speak 21 languages”. I would have preferred if they would have been friendly and accommodating instead. The whole crew was miserable, the food once again mediocre and whenever i managed to sleep a bit one of the flight attendants crashed against my seat with their food cart. The huge business class also felt like a dormitory canteen, not like a luxury business class. Definitely will not book EK again.

travelsforfun
    Participant

In no particularly order: Cathay Pacific, JAL, Aegean, Finnair, Swiss

I put a strong emphasis on the soft product and customer service – which is why, for example, I didn’t include Qatar Airways or Alaska Airlines.

Sami
    Participant

Qatar Airways
    Oman Air
    Japan Airlines
    Royal Jordanian
    Virgin Atlantic

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls