Weekend triva again

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

• Anonymous

TominScotland
    Participant

I am always intrigued at the challenge which some place names present to aircrew (flight deck and cabin). I flew in last night with KLM and was reminded of the struggles that Dutch crew have with my home base of Glasgow (likewise Americans), making the ending sound rather more bovine than it should.

BA crew are invariably awful when it comes to anywhere on ‘the Continent’.

What examples of awful place name pronunciation have you come across during your recent travels?

openfly
    Participant

Try Fukuoka…..

Carajillo2Sugar
    Participant

Whilst being easy to pronounce, London Stansted is a great example of a terminological in-exactitude.

canucklad
    Participant

Ssshmashing topic Tom…….
    Funny ,I’m heading through to Coo land tody, as my Dutch crew liked to call it…..

Edinburgh seems to tongue twist many a crew ,and not just foreign crews !

A BA lass announced our landing in Odd and barra. Foreign crew mix and match their Edens, Addins with Burgs, Borro with a sprinkling of an Mexican ass of a pronounced Burro …. : )

But,my favourite has to be the JAL lady who prepared us to land at Shitney international airport , or the Kenyan stewardess who clearly was preparing us for our stay in NaiROBi …

And getting back to Glascow, I suppose it’s a small mercy it’s at Abbotsinch, and not Milngavie lol

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

In a bar in Atlanta GA, I spotted the bloody awful ‘Boddingtons Pub Ale’ amongst all the US craft brews.

The barman told me it was brewed in “Lancastershire’ Engerland 🙂

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Nice topic Tom.

Lewisham and Greenwich come to mind as does Altrincham and Cholmondeley!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Oh, and when driving with colleagues to Holland, the cause of much schoolboy merriment was the road sign to Titz and Wankum 😉

LuganoPirate
    Participant

In case Graham deletes the above I’ll put this seperately, but there’s also much confusion amongst Belgian towns where they often have French and Flemish names, for example Mons and Bergen, and Lille and Rijsel.

Further confusion is caused by Aachen, known as Aken in Flemish and Aix La Chapelle in French!

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Have you heard an Amercan trying to say “Leicester”?

The best, however, has to be my former home of Denmark. On the overnight train from Praha hlavní nádraží one arrived at Københavns hovedbanegård. The first one takes a little practice, but the destination requires serious coaching by a native.

openfly
    Participant

Woorcestershire Sauce seems a humdinger for our visitors. Why don’t we spell it Wooster Sauce, as it is pronounced? 🙂

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Because that would make it to easy Openfly and take the fun out of it 😉

Another one in Holland. Scheveningen!

canucklad
    Participant

LP, you’ve reminded me about the brilliantly funny sketch in Lead balloon, when Magda, Jack Dee’s Eastern European maid exacerbates him by correcting him and insisting she’s taking her visiting relatives to Greeeen Wittch…….hilarious …

esselle
    Participant

Does anybody remember the brilliant Morecambe and Wise sketch of the newspaper vendor calling out “Morny Stannit”?

DiamondDad68
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls