Washbag for liquids / Creams / Gels

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

• DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

New Traveller, solid deo does not have to go in the transparent bag.

BusinessClass
    Participant

Where in M&S would I find these? What department? Are they called ‘Travel Liquids’ bags?
    Thanks

newtraveller
    Participant

I found the M&S bags in the toiletries section. They are also on their website if you google “clear plastic washbags”.

By the way, the medium size one is 8x6x1.5 inches and holds just over a litre, so probably is the best one to use. The large one is 7.5×8.5×3.5 and holds way 2+litres, the small one 6.25x5x1.25

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

Despite my previous hassles with the Security Washbag, I fell for their Xmas BOGOF offer and decided to give them one more chance.

LGW North 1/1/11 – I had the SW with gels, liquids and pastes ready on entering the security area, to be warned by the girl in the sentry box that they may want me to decant the contents into the standard freebie plastic bag, with which I was duly supplied. Managed to refrain from comment, just wishing that the guy behind me was a lawyer for or the CEO of Security Washbag.com.

Up to the x-ray machine and the guy on my channel fancies himself a bit on Live at The Apollo, asking for leftover mince pies to go in the tray as well. He doesn’t like the old Security Washbag – at least to his credit he gave me a degree of explanation when I said (politely) that the supplier quoted them as DfT (and TSA) approved. “Ah, but the DfT has changed its mind Sir. You see, this new machine we’ve got called Sabre is designed to detect explosive vapours, and a thicker bag like that won’t allow them to escape” (I recall the term to be diffusion – but didn’t quiz him on his chemistry). So my £4.99 proprietary bag got the full forensic analysis.

That’s the last straw, and I now use (both of) them in hold luggage only to prevent any liquid contents from spilling over clothes.

This guy’s explanation did seem to have some scientific basis, although other passengers were also getting a bit fed up with the number of new rules he was appearing to make up on the spot, and you could see that his colleagues’ body language just spelled out “Dictaphone”.

I would like to write to Security Washbag (www.securitywashbag.com) which still quotes that the bag is fully TRANSEC (UK) compliant – http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Foreigntravel/AirTravel/index.htm

But I know that BT and VK are the higher authorities.

It’s the typical situation at security;

a) if you don’t like it, get the train

b) if you dare question anything we’ll get the police etc

c) we never discuss security for obvious reasons

Any lack of scientific rigour is just dismissed as a form of c) and questioning of such is the proverbial abuse / assaults on staff which will not be tolerated, and leads to b)

Strangely the same bag was ok at another UK airport the day before. So presumably the DfT changed its mind to celebrate the arrival of 2011.

Worldair
    Participant

I bought a liquids bag from securitywashbag.com in July/2011 and less than 2 months later, the zipper is broken!! I emailed them to hear their comments about this unacceptable situation for a £4.99 item – but no reply from them…

VintageKrug
    Participant

No problem with my MUJI bag; five continents and 18 months and still going strong:

http://www.muji.eu/pages/online.asp?V=1&Sec=18&Sub=79&PID=3402

A snip at £3,50.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

sorry hun but i use tesco sandwich bags about £1 for a pack 20..(i think).. u want the press and seal ones used my one bag for a whole year and no problemo 😉 xxx

RichHI1
    Participant

I got into trouble at ORD as I had a Ziploc bag I was given by TSA at LAX, ORD TSA said ti was wrong size. So I thought great, now I have official approved bag and LHR they tell me it is not a metric bag and I must transfer everything (Including my Febreze spray-see separate thread) into a metric sized bag from them.
    Love MUJI products… have a bento box from them I boguht in Manhattan which I use for carry on sushi… it is just so nice to use. I guess being Japanese, Muji bags will be metric and meet with the approval of the Bag Police at LHR.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Rich , not the ziplock these are press and seal you want the small ones =) xxxx

RichHI1
    Participant

Becky it wasn’t a big bag it was a Sandwich bag and TSA LAX gave it to me… Never mind I now have a bag TSA like and a bag the LHR people like so as long as the press and seal does not break I am OK. Thinking of collecting some spares at both ends. I just hate the hassle and the look of disdain that you would dare to have somthing from overseas…

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

The SQ F washbags fit the bill perfectly. A bit costly but I’ve never had a problem when using one!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I use the wash bag they hand out on Swiss. Actually it’s a vintage Swissair one, circa 1984 and still going strong. Contains a deo, toothpaste, toothbrush, lens cleaner for glasses, savlon plaster spray, gas cigar lighter and an after mosquito spray. Nothing bigger than 25ml.

Goes in my hand baggage and never been taken out by security, whether UK, Europe, US, M.E. Far East or Africa.

RichHI1
    Participant

May be the Swiss aura gives you neutrality… 🙂
    You have been lucky if you carry a torch lighter, if TSA spot it they will take it off you. Lighters are OK apparently as are cutters but not Torches, apparently the British have developed a reputation for trying to burn their shoes and it is easier with a torch lighter… So Ihave mine stashed at favourite hotels round the planet. Almost lost my Dupont at IAD but they let me drain it and prove it did not work. TSA can be very reasonable I just wish they would teach them to replace stoppers and caps on bottles and tubes opened in bags…

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Or they just like the Swiss?

I don’t think they recognise it’s a torch lighter. They cost me € 1 and look like a cheap petrol lighter. They don’t really do justice to my Cohibas but they work just great and better than having my DuPont nicked by some TSA or equivalent.

RichHI1
    Participant

No I compromised so I now carry a box of Cigar matches which get odd looks from Security staff who have never seen a three inch cedar wood match before (pig to light in the wind though).

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls