Warning of long delays at U.S Airports

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

• Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Well, this might be a case of be careful what we wish for….

Flying home from JFK tonight with American Airlines. Bearing in mind all of the above I got to Terminal 8 early ready to join the Friday evening crowds.

No crowds.

I got to security, took out my laptop and ipad and asked where the baskets were. No baskets. Told to put the items back in my roll on bag, one top of the other (iPad on top of laptop. Sealed my case. Told to keep my shoes on, and my jacket, and then walked through the scanner. The alarm did not go off. I then picked up my things and walked, stunned, to the Gate.

So is this how the TSA has responded to the criticism of the delays, just wave us through even on international flights?

SimonS1
    Participant

I don’t understand what you mean by “just wave us through even on international flights”? I though you said you and your bags both went through the scanner?

And is the standard of security different on international flights?

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I mean that I was passing through security with passengers on domestic flights as well as ones on international flights such as mine. As you’d expect, all of us were treated in exactly the same manner, no matter where we were flying. We kept our jackets, shoes and belts on. So what I’m saying is that this isn’t a change for domestic passengers only, it’s for everyone.

The bags went through the X-ray machine, but with all items – laptops, iPads and toiletries still inside them.

Is the standard of security different on international flights?

Not in this case – it was the same.

Seems like there was a press conference in the U.S today

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/13/aviation/tsa-long-lines-us-airports/

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Exactly the same in Philadelphia the other week after an international arrival and going back airside for a domestic departure.

richard-travels
    Participant

One possible bright horizon, if you’re regularly in and out of the US, is to register for Global Entry (recently available for a number of additional countries) – according to the site, and of course assuming you are successful and eligible, TSA-pre is then granted – naturally only if you’re flying on an airline that subscribes to it. I was at DFW and DEN this week, and I have to say the queues were better than STN on a normal day!

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls