Warning of long delays at U.S Airports

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

• CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

MartynSynclair, that’s why I said it was a reasonable answer in fact quite plausible to most people. Probably part of the training in the form of how to answer the frequent Q’s from passengers. People are randomly searched in fact have been for years as well alongside the profile searches. Now I have no idea if this is true other than it appearing in the media a few years back, where a former NASA engineer suggested in addition to the current crop of machines, installing bomb proof chambers at airports which everyone would go through and it would trigger any concealed explosives being carried. The bomber would be blown to pieces and on his way to the promised land but with no casualties – job done. Quite how quickly they would be able to clear up the mess, replace the damaged chamber are other questions but I admired the creativity.

Charles-P
    Participant

There is already a perfectly good example of how to do airport security properly, it’s called Israel.

Each passenger spoken with individually before the flight by people with proper training (not G4S mouth breathers)
    Every bag subject to barometric test.
    Hand luggage subject to random enhanced screening
    Racial profiling used when needed.

Two problems – civil liberties and cost. This results in what we have now in Europe and the US – pretend security designed to avoid law suits from insurance companies and relatives.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

My worry is the fast track for persons who have been pre-cleared and subject to a lower level of checking. Last night I was watching on SKY News about two lads who were both radicalised. The point being this was only discovered after they went to Syria to join ISIS. Had they hung on a few more years, built up a travel pattern, joined a FF scheme, got a job – they would likely pass the criteria.

Having got through security it would only be after an act of terror that we would know they were radicalised and to think of the consequences is quite horrific.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

“There is already a perfectly good example of how to do airport security properly, it’s called Israel.”

This.

If you look at how many terrorists the LHR security people have caught with their ‘inconsistent’ routines, I believe it is 0.

The only people who have caught a terrorist at LHR (AFAIK) were El Al staff, with a very predictable procedure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindawi_affair

So when the LHR screeners cite inconsistency as an anti terror method, ask them how many they have caught 😉

MrMichael
    Participant

Surely FDOS we don’t want to catch them, we want them to be caught or put off way before they Get to the airport. I understand the UK security spooks have a pretty good record (touchwood) of finding these radicals prior to them having a go at us. I guess finding none and losing no aircraft is pretty good, it is if they find 0 and we lose an aircraft we can criticise.
    Martyn is right, laptops out, shoes off etc, changing that is pointless. What needs to change is how and why and perhaps where full searches occur. Profiling is a touchy subject, but let’s be honest here, we need it and want it. Security needs to be properly resourced with motivated well trained staff. If we want £19 one ways on Ryanair then we have to accept security will be done on the cheap. The thing is will Jo public be willing to pay for a professional security detail.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

MrMichael if a price increase raised the level of security that travelers really had confidence in it must help. The question is what will that level deliver that is not there now and can that level be achieved?.

MrMichael
    Participant

Almost anything can be achieved if you you throw enough money at it. The problem is Security does not make money, does not have to pay out for delays etc. if for instance LHR had to pay compensation to people delayed for example twenty minutes, you bet your bottom dollar more staff would be on hand. The problem with that scenario is those extra staff would come from the bottom of the job centre pool, so security would be compromised. The only way I see it, is we must pay more for security and it is managed by a private company contracted to the CAA. If unreasonable delays occur, or security is compromised in almost daily audits then penalties are paid. Those penalties are passed on to the airlines to cover delays due to slow security. It needs a major shake up.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I remember hearing once, “we have to get it right 100% of the time, the terrorist only needs to get it right once”. Rather chilling I think?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

MrMichael – 04/05/2016 17:56 BST

Firstly, I believe that there are very good people looking out for our security, they are doing a great job, but are best left to operate quietly in the shadows. These are the people I rely on to keep me safe and I appreciate their work.

When it comes to the theatre at airports, I have far less confidence in it and see it as a form of PR and CYA.

The type of people who would do us harm are not opportunists (e.g. people who blow themselves up, so their family get an insurance payout), but are committed fanatics who are not going to be put off by the ‘security’ rigmarole at our airports.

There are basically two types, as I see it, firstly the fanatical but disorganised types who are often caught and then the more professional planners, such as those who carried out the Brussels airport attack.

The latter worked out a flaw that was obvious to most frequent travellers, why try to bring down an aircraft, when you can cause mayhem in the check in area? The images of the destroyed infrastructure are there for all to see in the media and just as frightening (which is why these people are known as terrorists.)

We had a near escape nine years ago, at EDI and some lessons have been learned from that.

But basically, the stuff the ‘secuirty’ staff in airports do doesn’t give us much protection from people committed to do us harm.

Ultimately, if we wish to live in a decent society, freedom has a cost.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Does anyone know the wait times for passing through security in Tel Aviv..?

Agamemnon
    Participant

Wouldn’t having sniffer dogs constantly going up and down the entrances to security, avoid a lot of this? I realise some have issues with dogs, but it’s only the same as when you land into any US airport?

CHINATRADERJMR
    Participant

It’s time for the TSA to go. These are not “professionals” and are barely a notch better then the min wage buffoons we had in the US pre 9/11. The airports and airlines should hire professional security companies. It’s the airports/airlines who know what kind of staffing is needed and when. Not someone in Washington. Privatization is the only way this would get better (or the actual military which is illegal in the US so not an option)

RichardBarr
    Participant

MartynSinclair
    “Does anyone know the wait times for passing through security in Tel Aviv..?”

TLV is my home airport and I use it often. The longest I’ve ever had to wait in the Security queue is about 30 minutes, but usually considerably less..

I can usually be through the terminal front door, initial precheck-in security screening/interview, check-in, Security again, passport control and onto duty-free shops in well under an hour. However there are exceptions during the busy holiday periods and it can take longer.

PdeBarry
    Participant

I was flying out of JFK last year and I heard horror stories about security delays. I left the States in 95 and had not returned since. So I arrived 3 hours early. The Economy line at checkin was open but not business or first class. When I inquired about business they said that passengers normally arrive 1.5 to 2 hours before. Security was a breeze…I hit the right line, and it took 10 minutes tops. But…. I was screwed for being sooooooo early. ” hours in a rather boring lounge isn’t that fun. Plus JFK is rather dull.
    Flight from JFK to Frankfurt

MarkieMark99
    Participant

Unfortunately, based on what happened at Brussels in March, this suggests that the security process to access ‘airside’ is proving to be too much of a barrier for terrorists, who can now achieve pretty much similar carnage and mayhem if they make their attacks ‘landside’. Again with Brussels, which I travelled through last month, the airport has installed pre-screening before you go into the terminal which, pointing to the OP’s original thread, requires anything up to and over two hours allowance to make your flight. Incidentally, I arrived at the gate to see what all flyers dread, my BA A319 being pushed back without me….

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls