Visa to embargoed countries

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Anonymous

Swissdiver
    Participant

In the modern times we are living in, when I suspect several immigration authorities are actually sharing immigration information, is it better to have a single passport and spend time explaining a US immigration officer you are a good guy although your passport carries visas and stamps of embargoed countries or to use a second (and almost empty) passport?

TominScotland
    Participant

I have two passports as a matter of routine, after many years of travelling in and out of Iran. It also helps if you’re just travelling a lot and need to send a passport away for a visa. For UK citizens, this is no problem but not sure about other nationalities. This topic was discussed in a previous thread some time ago and it may be useful to refer to that as well, Swissdiver.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Thanks, Gentlemen. BUT this is not addressing my question:
    – I am not British
    – I know how to get a second passport (as I used to have one)

The question is rather related to the evolution and the (presumed) data exchange among various immigration authorities. In other words, would immigration be faster by using a passport with what they could call “weird stamps” or by using a second passport and have to explain why if they see there are two in circulation…

toonfan62
    Participant

As a “former Brit” now a US citizen, my advice would be have two passports and keep one specifically for the US (or the US and non embargoed countries). I love my new homeland but Americans don’t deal very well with things out of the norm and a passport with some of the stamps you allude to would, IMO, at a minimum cost you substantial time (and at worst non entry or “special” screening……)!

Senator
    Participant

Swissdiver,

In my previous professional role I kept two passports. I am Norwegian national and a major issue with the second passport is its short validity of two years. In effect, this would only be “valid” for 18 months as some countries require at least six months remaining upon entry. Despite this, it was critical for me in my role to have two.

I had two passports for two reasons:

1. I had a fair amount of assignments in countries that required Visas. I would normally be away for six days, and often I had back-to-back assignment merely coming home to repack. Therefore, it was essential for me to be able to have one passport available to leave for an embassy to get a visa sorted.

2. My travel took me to some exciting places including KSA and Iran. As I like travelling to the US, I decided it would be wise to have two passports 🙂

craigwatson
    Participant

i would be very surprised if the immigration authorities of different countries shared data, the americans have enough problems sharing with their own agencies! As far as im aware the only country that has fully intregrated systems with the americans is Canada.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Well, Craig, bay-be I am paranoiac, but I would not be surprised to see countries such as US and UK sharing sensitive info…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls