Virgin to Orlando

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Anonymous

Spotter
    Participant

We booked yesterday in Premium Economy on the Virgin flight to Orlando (LGW – MCO) on 5/11/2011.
    Does anyone know if it will still be the ‘old’ interior or will the roll out of the new seats and IFE be completed?
    Thanks

dutchyankee
    Participant

Hi Spotter, I travel LGW-MCO every 6 to 7 weeks exclusively with BA. That said, I did read recently here on BT that Virgin has received their first 2 A330’s which are deployed to Orlando, and are configured with only Premium Economy and Economy (No Upper Class). I am certain, therefore, that if your flight is on the A330 you will have their new product. Be sure to check, as Virgin has two to three flights a day to MCO from LGW (depends on season) and also direct from MAN. I often see their 747’s at MCO, so check if your flight is on an A330, A few links to previous stories for you: http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/virgin-set-for-a330-inaugural and http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/virgin-launches-a330-aircraft-on-gatwick-route

Spotter
    Participant

Hi dutchyankie. Thanks for the response. I would have preferred BA as they are my airline of choice. In this case, however, I have been extremely fortunate to win a trip to Orlando which includes the flights so Virgin it is. They have 2 flights a day,the earlier one being on the new A330 but the later flight is still the B744.
    I have chosen that one because the missus is not a fan of flying and I thought if we get the bubble, it is more spacious and might make her a bit more comfortable.
    I found an article on the Virgin site which gave me the info I was looking for. It appears that the Gatwick fleet will only be refurbished between April and September next year. Just means we will have to put up with the old-fashioned IFE. At least it still has the map facility so I can watch that! together with a good book, I am sure the flight will be fine.
    Cheers

dutchyankee
    Participant

Congratulations on winning the trip, enjoy the flight and have a great time in Orlando!

Spotter
    Participant

Cheers. Am going to have a d*mn good try 🙂

seanyjmuclhr
    Participant

If you’re on a 744 bird from LGW, PE in the upstairs bubble will be the same product that we’ve all been used to for some years now. Alas, the seats need to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century. On a recent flight I was dismayed to find tatty, near threadbare seats with the magazine pouch held together with string.

Service itself was fine, the usual nice Virgin flight attendants who make the difference.

Spotter
    Participant

Cheers seanyjmuclhr – much as I expected then. I travelled Egypt Air last year and their 777s are much the same.
    I can put up with tatty seats, I guess, as long as the service is ok.

FlightDoctor
    Participant

We’re just about to blow my remaining BMI miles on a family holiday to Orlando with Virgin, flying Premium Economy, in late May next year. The A330 flights are not showing with any availability on our preferred dates so it looks like we’ll have to put up with the old product on the 744? Anyway, still more comfortable than being stuck in the back I guess…

On another related note, can anyone recommend any child-friendly lounges at LGW South Terminal? I’m only FC Red with Virgin but have DC Gold with BMI which I believe gives me access to the Virgin Clubhouse (although probably not the whole family). I also have Priority Pass.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

As far as premium economy is concenred, I think you will find the seating better on the old product. Upstairs is generally nicer than downstairs. Where it is obviously better on the 330 is the IFE.

With regards to the VS Gatwick lounge, you may be able to buy additional guests in but last time my wife used it with a Gold card, she could only get 1 guest in.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

FlightDoctor

The No1 lounge is very good and available to PP members, should the clubhouse prove inaccessible.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls