Vaccine passports, proof of vaccination – ready for when borders reopen?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

“At a press briefing on Monday (9th March 2021), WHO emergencies chief Dr. Michael Ryan said there are “real practical and ethical considerations” for countries considering using vaccine certification as a condition for travel, adding the U.N. health agency advises against it for now.”

Here in the UK, we are given handwritten credit card sized confirmation of the type of vaccine and batch number, with space for 2 entries. Other countries use their own system for recording vaccine info and as ASK1945 confirmed recently, Israel has a sophisticated app and barcode system… but for use within Israel only.

This week, both Thailand and Spain have indicated entry may be conditional on a vaccine passport system or certification of vaccine. In Thailand’s case this appears to be coming into force within the next few weeks (with reduced quarantine).

How is this likely to pan out, especially as WHO and the UN appear against vaccine passports for “practical and ethical” reasons.

If we think travel is complex now, with all the border restrictions and testing, how complex will it become, when borders open, if counties and airlines all adopt individual solutions. The balance and interpretation between the ability to move the economy forward on the one side, against virus control/management on the other side will directly impact our ability to freely travel, unless there is some joined up and cohesive writing between nations and organizations.

Is there currently a document or app that gives any credibility or evidence of proof of vaccine that is accepted outside the border where the vaccine was administered?

canucklad
    Participant

Enjoyed reading your above comment Martyn
    I’m going to assume that market forces will drive up the rise of vaccine passports/ certifications as countries who are dependant on tourism try and rebuild their shattered economies.

I’d imagine the recent “come and join us in the Cyprus Sun ” appeal has spooked competing countries into action.

And the WHO’s practical and ethical considerations will be tempered once they realize they’ re in a global game of Covid Chess . And start to learn how to think 4/5 moves ahead!

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=1094378]Is there currently a document or app that gives any credibility or evidence of proof of vaccine that is accepted outside the border where the vaccine was administered?[/quote]

Easy answer, no. There is no way of checking whether your vaccine paperwork is genuine just like there is no way of checking whether the PCR result you show is real or made on a home PC (or the yellow fever certificate, or anything in fact).

It could take years to reach this stage, a starting point being some vague consensus on which of the vaccines are accepted where.

For example the most widely used vaccine in UAE is Sinopharm, but it’s not approved in UK. So do you a) accept it or b) insist visitors from UAE are re-vaccinated with all the implications.

My gut feel, it will end up like flu, up to individuals to protect themselves but airlines and governments won’t enforce it, particularly as the financial realities for both are starting to bite.

ghlotus
    Participant

While vaccines apparently prevent serious symptoms and death, I think the major unanswered questions are: How long do the various vaccines remain effective? And: Can vaccinated people still acquire and pass on COVID-19 virus to others?

I don’t see how any “Vaccine Passports” can be implemented until these two questions are answered!

Montysaurus
    Participant

Martyn – parts of the UK get proof of vaccination; in Scotland we are not given anything. I had to ask which vaccine it was as the information wasn’t volunteered.
    I foresee the possibility of the rest of the UK being able to travel later this year but we Scots being unable to. Our Dear Leader said that it was far too early to be thinking about vaccination “passports”.

1 user thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

Indeed, up here we seem to be thinking 2 steps back rather than 2 steps forward — Becoming infuriated with every passing day .
    Surprised we’ve not been asked to wear iron shackles on our ankles

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=1094393]Other countries use their own system for recording vaccine info and as ASK1945 confirmed recently, Israel has a sophisticated app and barcode system… but for use within Israel only.[/quote]

Martyn – my guess is that the Israeli system will be usuable shortly for flights between TLV and the UAE, in their new travel corridor [see the News section].

DerekVH
    Participant

There is an official NHS (England) app (not the COVID one) which has a link to your GP record and your medications which also allows you to order repeat prescriptions. This has an immunisations tab which details my flu vaccinations to date but it now also shows the dates I had my two covid vaccinations. I am assuming it is this data which will feed any “Vaccine Passport” provided they can get around the scammers!

J_Pathmore
    Participant

No world in which you need to be vaccinated to travel to/from major markets like EU/UK/US. Even in the event that vaccination does become a requirement for travel, it will not be implemented until everyone has access to it likely well into 2022 (negative tests will continue to expand and fill this void in the interim, probably with the option to waive if you’ve had the vaccine).

J_Pathmore
    Participant

And just to follow up to my previous post, Greece announced today that they plan on opening to EU AND non-EU citizens who are (a) vaccinated or (b) have antibodies or (c) present a negative test. This is going to be the future of travel in the Western world. Interesting to see if Asian nations follow suit, or if they insist upon vaccination.

Stevescoots
    Participant

[postquote quote=1094497]

one suspects that in Asia it will be Vaccines only for the far forseeable. However in true China style if you have the antibodies showing you have had covid in the past you are banned from entry, even if the antibodies are vaccine created

2 users thanked author for this post.

Inquisitive
    Participant

A vaccine passport would be a showpiece to start regular international travel but just a vaccine passport will not restore the full capacity pre-covid.

Travel will restore only when passengers are confident enough that the airplanes and destination countries are safe enough to take the risk. And in that, some countries and airlines will shine and some will fail.

Domestic travel is almost normal in the 3 most populous countries (China, India and USA) and that is a third of world population. That is also significant percentage of total flyers pre-covid. So air travel is happening now.

To restore passengers confidence key points are:
    1. Airlines need to keep planes safe as far as possible (onboard procedures as well as cleanliness including filter cleaning)
    2. Cooperation among countries to respect others test results as well as medical preparedness for sick people.
    3. Destination countries have safe practices for hotels and restaurants.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Vaccine will be required to fly and enter in many countries, I am convinced. The question is indeed how to check. Solutions exist! As mentioned in another post, in Switzerland we have https://www.mesvaccins.ch/, a four languages system, that includes requirements, reminders and validation. My yellow fever vaccines are of course registered there. But when I travel to Africa, they want to see the good old yellow WHO vaccination booklet you all know.
    WHO will probably jump into this at some stage. But not now, not when so many people are despaired to get their jabs. And countries by then will probably all accept all serious vaccines (for immigration purpose). But not yet.
    By then, anything can happen as political moves are now often based on common sense.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Swissdiver – “By then, anything can happen as political moves are now often based on common sense.

“Political moves” and “Common sense” are not words you would normally see in the same sentence.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Swissdiver
    Participant

[postquote quote=1094576]

I meant “not based on common sense.”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls