USA Proposes $10 Visa Fee “To Promote US Tourism” (ESTA)

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

You really couldn’t make it up.

Having designed a system to “streamline” the Visa Waiver programme which actually adds duplication and wastes visitors’ time entering information electronically as well as on paper, a new twist to the saga of ESTA develops.

It is now proposed that a “nominal” fee of $10 be charged each time an ESTA is completed online (currently this has to be done every two years).

What beggars belief is that the legislators do not seem to see the irony in using the funds “to promote tourism”.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8241255.stm

TemboOne
    Participant

Just another reason added as to why those who are fortunate enough to have dual citizenship go out of our way to avoid even transitting the U.S.A!

And of course another example of why flights between Canada YVR and the South Pacific now operate non-stop, bypassing the hassles of U.S. INS by overflying HNL!

VintageKrug
    Participant

This fee is now announced, and will be $14.

Seems you need to apply by 8 September to avoid the fee for the next two years.

The website looks like it was deisgned by a ten year old; hardly very slick, and does not inspire confidence.

I very much hope the UK imposes a similar visa charge for US originating passengers.

This is a knee-jerk, make-work scheme which does nothing to increase security or promote tourism.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov

MartynSinclair
    Participant

If you recall, when the fingerprint and photo system commenced at US immgration, Americans were in uproar when certain countries imposed similar procedures to US citizens. I reemember reading about an American citizen being arrested somewhere in S America for giving the finger sign to a country imposing similar procedures.

Perhaps some of our airport taxes could be defrayed via higher visa charges for visitors. I still believe, UK border control should finger print all visitors.

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

VK,

thanks for the tip. I have just done an application for myself and my son for our forthcoming trip to NYC.

Safe travels everyone,

Jonathan

Inquisitive
    Participant

There is no point making snide remarks about visa fees for USA. UK visa office charges exorbitent visa fees in the countries that requires visa to visit UK. UK receive many visitors due to history and summar weather and visa fees is another good source of income.

TemboOne
    Participant

Great suggestion by VK although it would be much better if such a fee were applied to US passport holders only and not US originating passengers. More importantly perhaps is that a UK fee should be a reciprocal one and apply to all “international to international” US passport holders transitting the UK, especially LHR!

Just another reason for everyone who can should avoid the US, especially if in transit and where other options exist.

Thank heavens that in the Pacific area we now have more flights than ever overflying Honolulu.

PatJordan
    Participant

My family and I regularly holiday in the US. We currently pay extra taxes and charges on our airfares to enter the US. I am a little peeved at having to hand over a further $14 each for the Visa waiver.

Do the US authorities not realise that there is a worldwide recession? Aer they deliberately trying to dissuade overseas visitors from going to their (admittedly wonderful) country?

Yes the $14 won’t make a huge difference to the overall cost of holidays, but I do feel it might be counter productive.

Will it deter me from visiting the US?? In all truth it won’t but I wonder how many will be deterred.

Senator
    Participant

Dear all,

Perhaps I fail to see the big issue here, but from my point of view this is not a big deal. I don’t hear anyone complaining about $20 entry into Egypt for a one-off visa. The same applies for 90 day visa in Turkey (multiple entries). My last visa to India for a six day business trip was a dreadful €150. Indonesia wanted $15 for a one-off 30 day visa.

$14 for a 2-year visa is not a big deal is it?

Let’s not forget that the US of A is terrorist target number 1. The soaring cost of security is simply being passed on. The US Fed Gov’t is out of funds and this is merely a simple way to cover some cost.

Whilst I agree with the Right Hon VK that the dual process of online and the Green I-90 form has been less than optimal, at least it looks to be a simpler process now with the online form (setting aside the quality of the web site itself).

My advice to my fellow travellers is simple; if you don’t like it, vote by staying at home.

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

I rather favour the Chilean solution to this. The US charges Chileans $100 for a US entry visa, and despite Chile’s outstanding record since Pinochet’s regime in becoming a model democracy and a stable and prosperous partner of the US, the Americans refuse to lift it and continue to discrimitate against Chileans.

So Chile has instituted a “visa on arrival” system solely for US citizens. Americans arriving in Chile have to pay $100, in cash, at a grubby little booth some way off the main route through the arrivals part of the airport. The queue at this booth is seldom short, and “working quickly” appears not to be part of the counter-clerk’s job description. Every time I’ve gone through Santiago, about one in three Americans seems to end up complaining at this and in every case they are given a quick smile and a piece of paper which explains that the fee is a direct counterpart to the fees levelled on Chileans who want to go to the States. No rubbish about it being “for security” – they maake no bones about it being a quid pro quo.

Perhaps the EU could do similar and levy $14 on every US citizen arriving at or transiting an EU airport?

Binman62
    Participant

Senator, you are right that the fee by itself is not a big deal. Indonesia now charges $25 in cash upon arrival and a further 150,000rp each to get out again.
    The issue is that gorvernments continue to see passengers, and particularly airline passengers as cash cows. For a family of 4 travelling to the USA just once, the taxes fees and charges including visa costs will now be £1620 if travelling in anything but economy. In economy it will be £1070
    You can get two weeks in a hotel in europe for that and remember that is just the taxes fees and charges.

robsmith100
    Participant

I am in agreement with Binman on this one. Even though this is such a small charge, however travellers across Europe and the US already have to pay with all the other taxes and surcharges one has to already pay. Personally I believe they should of just added an extra $1 to the airport tax for all flyers regardless where they are from and deducted the money that way, they would make more money that way.The introduction of this charge probably wont be noticeable until two years down the line. As most people will sign up for the free version before the cut off date.

What worries me if this is first step to abolishing the visa waiver and getting all visitors to the US to have a full visa.

Its like VK has said on an earlier thread “This is a knee-jerk, make-work scheme which does nothing to increase security or promote tourism”.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I am all in favour of increasing revenues sources at borders. I remember a previous post on another thread about the Q’s in T4 about a year or so back.

UK border control should simply increase charges for processing and viewing passports and protecting our borders. I would propose charging American passport holders £50 per passport checked, non EU passports £50 per passport checked and arriving passengers from known drug running countries £100.

If people dont like it, stay at home.

I suffer from charges in the Far East, Cambodia, Vietnam – all demanded in cash and prefarbly US $. I know some visitors pay through the issue of a visa, but hey, we in the UK also have our own problems in the number of people wanting to come to these shores for our generous welfare benefits system. It cost to run our borders, charge visitors more.

Sister website Seatplans.com has published its Guide to ESTA and visa waiver for anyone uncertain about whether they need one or not – it contains practical advice on where best to apply, how to go about it, plus some potential pitfalls.

http://www.seatplans.com/help/seatplans.com-guides-esta-and-visa-waiver

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls