US immigration queues

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 76 through 83 (of 83 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

LuganoPirate – your post made my day. Please G-d the same system moves to Heathrow.

Shock horror indeed, pity it only took them an hour!!!

(I love Americans really)….

TridentGold
    Participant

Travelled to LAX in BA First (BA279) on 26th July. Landed slightly early at 12:50 and after 45 min delay waiting for a gate was off the aircraft efficiently. Cleared immigration after a very stressful 2 hours and 25 minutes, The immigration area was chaotic with very little order in the overspill queues and uncontrolled line jumping was prevelant. There did not seem to be many officers on duty and the system was completely overwhelmed. Despite the situation the immigration office was actually very pleasant (although I had to bite my tongue when he asked me how may day was going!). The BA283 (next flights) baggage was already on the belt and I had to fight through a sea of luggage to retrieve mine before joining another 25 minute line to clear customs. This was just about the worst I have ever experienced anywhere in 3 decades of flying. A huge disincentive for travelling through LAX.

lloydah
    Participant

1K in BA217 on Tuesday 26th. Cabin a bit ropey round the edges – old F, but the service was impeccable. IAD – first on to the “bus” and straight into immigration. The hall was empty, most booths were manned and we were through in 5 mins. Miracle! Then got caught by the sniffer pooch who found an apple I forgot to eat in my hand luggage. That cost me 20 mins in secondary screening and more than that from my wife who was not amused at having to wait around after such a perfect arrival. I know you can’t win them all but………….

RichHI1
    Participant

TridentGold, that is why AA is a much better bet to LAX from LHR. THye have a separate Terminal and do not share CBP. The experience is the exact opposite. Flying First or Business, my usual door open to curbside with checked bags is about 20 minutes of which 5 minutes is walking and 10 minutes is waiting for bags. I cannot recommend highly enough though loyal BA travellers still prefer the chaos at TBIT.(I have been flying this route as a connector for the last 16 years and AA since 2002 doing 8-10 roundtrips per year so my figures represent 8-9 years. On the occasions I have come inot TBIT on BA and Mexicana it has always been as you describe – abominable.)

TiredOldHack
    Participant

Question: is there a fast track immigratyion queue in the US (specifically ORD) for First Or Business travellers?

RichHI1
    Participant

No
    If you opt for 5 star services on AA for $200 they will walk you through VIP lane and I believe some super duper BA FF’s have been walked through too as well as ocassionally when you are going to miss an international connection.
    US does not have fast track on CBP (immigration) only on TSA (security).
    On last trip through JFK AA terminal they had a international connections line to push through those connecting who might miss flights. This is a great idea but I believe JFK is currently a trial and it was not in ORD earlier this month (10th). At ORD CBP is shared for all carriers.
    ORD does have 2 immigration halls so check out the other one if the lines are big (they are approx 50-60 yds apart along a corridor.

KeaneJohn
    Participant

My worst experience at JFK was when VS used to fly into the IAB with all and sundry airlines. Arriving around 4pm on a Friday afternoon would often see you with a 2hr plus wait and you would just hope you would land before the AI flight from LHR that had a same take off time from LHR.

Best experience was when in 2004 on the early morning VS flight that arrived in JFK around 12noon. Flew UC so off plane fairly quickly can’t remember if VS was using T1 or T4 then and into the limo arriving at my hotel near Wall Street 50 minutes after doors open.

Also had a pretty good experience arriving into EWR on the VS17 around 2300 local time. This was the only international flight at this time and it was clear that everybody wanted to get home baggage handlers and CBP staff.

Never used the Irish pre-clearance system.. would love to try the LCY service just to see.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I still cant quite get my head around the fact that the Immigration q’s n teh States are quite as bad as they are and in the main remain as such over so many of the international arrival centres.

I accept a degree of waiting is sometimes necerssary, but to line up after a longhaul for over 2 hours, may be expected in certain third world countries but I would not expect this to happen in a country where the leader has one hell of an ego about ruling the world.

Perhaps this is the reason, i.e. make people Q, it looks better for the economy (after all Apple use this strategy), that the immigration halls are as busy as they are.

I hope the matter is resolved shortly.

Viewing 8 posts - 76 through 83 (of 83 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls