US immigration queues

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 83 total)

• olliewb
    Participant

We went through Miami in April and waited nearly 2 hours!

Swissdiver
    Participant

IAD: Awful immigration process
    MIA: Awful airport in general…
    ORD: I don’t like it either but for some reason, I am not queuing that much in general…
    JFK: Last time I got there, for some reason I was diverted in a small passage with one booth and no queue (AA from EZE)…

In general, I do my utmost not to transit in the US so at least it is a stress free queue…

RichHI1
    Participant

Swissdiver, interested in your comment. When I was commuting every week from LHR-GRU and LHR-EZE through JFK in 2008 and 2009 I complained bitterly to AA that three S American flights arrive at JFK within 15 minutes (GRU,GIG and EZE) and the connection to 142 to LHR was almost impossible without running everywhere. Heard nothing as usual but then last time I went through JFK in April I saw quick connection lane roped off and was told it was for international connection passengers with tight connections. Maybe this is where you were taken. At last some sanity seems to have prevailed.

Agree with your comments on MIA (though I would use stronger langauge which would get my post removed..), IAD and ORD. Interesting these are all airports where CBP is shared. Generally I find airports where AA has its own CBP the process runs smoother. Don’t use BA to US normally has anyone experience of BA in JFK or other airports where they have their own CBP clearance?

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

I used to go to the US at least once every year, found it an interesting and stimulating place, professionally and personally.

I stopped in 2005 after an awful immigration experience, where the agent was downright hostile and demanded to see all my hotel reservations, onward flights etc.

It’s their privilege to run the country the way they like, but at my discretion whether I go there.

There are other places equally stimulating, which welcome you as visitors.

stevescoots
    Participant

approx 90 mins to do LAX thsi year including going through customs point, averahe for ORD to me is 1 hour

RichHI1
    Participant

Stevescoots, which Terminal in LAX was that, TBIT?

fatbear
    Participant

Earlier this year I took over 3 hours from landing at Atlanta to leaving the airport, thanks to the queues at immigration and the absurd requirement they have to go through security on arrival and having to twice retrieve baggage.

On the other hand, I have also got through the Airport in less than 40 minutes on one occasion

stevescoots
    Participant

B terminal, all desks open but the CX flight I arrived on landed just behind what I think was an emirates flight or Air India, most Passport holders were indian and it was taking about 10 mins to clear per passenger ( I timed it). Once i got to the desk it took me less than 3 minutes through the process and my chinese colleage about 5 minutes (she has had a US visa for 2 years)

US immigration should really have 2 points, 1 for visa and one for those countries under visa waivers.

RichHI1
    Participant

Yes my experience exactly. One reason why I always fly AA into LAX when I can, as the CBP is very very quick (unfortunately the bags are still slow) but 25 minutes off plane to kerbside is my norm on AA and between 1 -2 hours at TBIT. I really think we need to mount a campaign to get airlines to gap their flights and not all try to land at same time.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

There should be an American only lane at Heathrow. Fingerprint them, turn them back until they have applied on line (and make ’em pay £50….per entry) – reduce the size of the corridors, turn the lights off whilst they wait and then say

“have a nice queue!”

watersz
    Participant

I can see them now all wondering what a queue means 🙂

can you imajine the immigration person saying dont nick my pen, you get…. you mean you dont want me to score it with a knife????

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

I’m lucky, I no longer have any business reasons to visit the US and although it’s an amazing country, I have no intention of subjecting myself to their paranoid and rude immigration staff or for that matter the TSA on leaving.

I think the idea of pre-screening US citizens coming to the UK is an excellent one. On arrival, they should be forced into separate queues, fingerprinted and DNA checked. One desk with the most surley immigration officer on duty will suffice for all of them which could open at least thirty minutes after the aircraft comes on stand.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Btw, Lagos’s queues beat them all! 🙂

RichHI1
    Participant

Thanks to you Swissdiver for returning the forum to a more adult level. Try the lines at GRU or MEX T1 or NBO when 4 planes arrive at once and the air con does not work.

fatbear
    Participant

Personally I have found the immigration staff at Atlanta to be very friendly. My complaint is that they are too chatty, and this is one of the reasons for having to queue so long !

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 83 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls