Upgrade with Special Meal

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 46 through 58 (of 58 total)

• esselle
    Participant

Years ago, when my children were all under 10, we were booked in J to fly back to the UK from New York, with kids meals for the three girls. Because I knew the big frommage in BA at JFK quite well, and the flight was very quiet, we all got moVed up to F.

The girls got their meals without a murmur. Can any of you guys resist mopping up cold baked beans? Me neither!

RichardB
    Participant

I was upgraded once on LH from HEL-FRA. We waited at the gate a while for some meals to be loaded (so the pilot said), but I noticed the meals never arrived. Once in the air the cabin crew explained that they didn’t have enough business class meals – so the pilot had decided not to wait for the extra meals and leave without them.

Amazingly I didn’t even get served the economy class sandwich but received nothing.

I have also had a sort-of-upgrade with the curtain in the wrong place so my economy seat was actually in front of the curtain. In that case they served economy meals but to part of the “business class” cabin.

I thought everyone knew about the special meals = no upgrade rule.

I have noticed BA pay more attention to taking the meal requests than LH. LH start at the front and work their way down. On BA they will ask gold card holders their choice first even if this involves going up and down the cabin a few times. Those who have received an op-up are asked last.

KeaneJohn
    Participant

I can totally understand about the special meal rule. However, if the lounge attendant didn’t check to see if a special meal was ordered when processing the upgrade as far as I can see this would be an involuntary downgrade after paying the supplement.

Danwolf
    Participant

Here’s a thought, if you are unable to upgrade (or won’t be upgraded) as you have ordered a special meal, on the flip side of this rule, are you not eligable for a cabin class downgrade for operational reasons?

BTW: anybody tried any of the low fat/low cal options in CW or First?

EU_Flyer
    Participant

Upgrades, either paid for or complimentary are just that, an upgrade! Subject to selling you something the airline subsequently can’t provide (ie the paid in-lounge upgrade which was careless), airlines are under no obligation to upgrade any one specific person over another regardless of FF status. So if you have a special meal request that would lead to complications onboard, I can see why an airline would avoid upgrading pax with special requests. Similarly, from my experience, airlines like to deal with the upgrade ‘thing’ as dicreetly as possible so as not to offend fare paying passengers booked in that class. An economy meal in J class would scream of ‘upgrade’ a mile (sorry Avio) away.

So, play it smart my friends. Don’t order special meals and let the upgrades begin!

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

“So, play it smart my friends. Don’t order special meals and let the upgrades begin!”

with the greatest of respect, please don;t lecture the peeps on here, some of us are pretty experienced in this game.

I’m in NCW tomorrow (storms permitting) and have 15K in a 777, one of the two best seats in the cabin.

I’ve just ordered a seafood meal to help stay there, as I really don’t fancy a crummy seat in First.

EU_Flyer
    Participant

@DisgustedofSweieqi

In the spirit of your namesake, I am…. well frankly… disgusted.

I thought we lived in a democracy where young upstarts like myself could respectfully share their opinions on public forums such as this without being patronised by elder statesman who are “pretty experienced in this game”.

If you are so experienced, then don’t order a special meal and then complain when you don’t get upgraded (or downgraded or sidegraded) or thank God that you weren’t upgraded to that “crummy seat in First”.

I suggest you develop a sense of humour. It helps.

Irons80
    Participant

Oh Alex, look earlier in the forum. Dont start with Disgusted. In the end he is protected by BT and you will get told off. I even apologised, but got nothing from him. This forum is only for wise ‘I know it alls’ – you couldn’t possibly begin to have that knowledge or be allowed to give your opinion… be warned

continentalclub
    Participant

It seems that even Yahoo (in an otherwise fairly dreadful ‘101’) have spotted something, too:

http://yhoo.it/1axvYV

Point 6……..

tiggerbrown
    Participant

Can’t see how to unsubscribe from this bilious topic – can someone please help me, pronto?
    Thx.

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

tiggerbrown no need to even unsubscribe, just avoid subscribing in the first place!

Simply desist opening the thread in the first inst, its even simpler than unsubscribing!
    Have the self control to keep your mouse from the title on the forum page and clicking on it. Problem solved. Simplez

A problem with willpower? Treat yourself to

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Willpower-How-Develop-Self-Discipline-Skinny/dp/0981893538/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1324046376&sr=1-1

Now where do I send my bill?

Saffjoyfox3
    Participant

DoS, whilst I support your right to post as you wish, I really must take issue with your view that an involuntary upgrade from J to F is something of an ordeal, to be avoided at any cost. I simply disagree.

I have had the great pleasure of being upgraded at check-in or at the gate from a J to F seat on BA on several occasions. And it is a real pleasure. I have been moved from an upper deck seat on the 747 (a seat there being very nice of course, especially on night flights) and from the 777 J cabin. I have, in fact, had more moves from the upper deck. Each time, the F experience has been great. I may not have wanted to eat or drink much given the flight time, and what needed to be done back in the office when I landed, but I do not accept that any seat in F into which I have been upgraded (and I have had IK to 5F, as well as others) is in any way awful or something to be avoided. The seat – whether OF or NF – is, for me, extremely comfortable to sleep in which, on virtually all night flights, is what most passengers want to do after a little bit of the in-flight service. The service in F is better than in NCW, and there are the on-ground benefits of an involuntary upgrade to F such as breakfast in the Concorde Room in the Arrivals Lounge.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Saffjoyfox

I would be a boring world, if we all liked the same things.

None of the things you value about First particularly appeal to me, but what does really make my day is the seclusion of a seat like 15A or K and I find NCW seats very comfortable to sleep on – yes, First seats are probably slightier comfier (remember this is subjective and I am not particularly tall), but I prefer suites and NCW approximates this better for me.

So each to his own and I wish you tailwinds on your next flight 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 46 through 58 (of 58 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls