Upgrade with Special Meal

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)

• DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Danwolf

I agree in principle and the airline was not obliged to offer the pax the upgrade, the problem I have is that they did, took his money, and then reneged.

That’s breach of contract in my world and if a pax asked for the refund of a non refundable fare, the airline would quickly quote T&Cs.

If you sell the upgrade, you have to deliver it IMHO.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

brummiedj

Are you aware of any lawful reason why BA was able to renege on a paid upgrade?

Please rest assured that I’m not going to attack your reponse, I’m interested as you may know of extra T&Cs that I am not aware of, otherwise it does seem like breach to me.

tiggerbrown
    Participant

Danwolf I don’t understand how you can think such a policy makes sense & it’s common sense why they have it in place.

If that was so it wouldn’t have caused concern for the OP. Why deny someone a (paid for) upgrade on the basis of something which someone in the company thinks should be so: that being – you’re only allowed to eat the class of meal in the class you’re sat in.

Ludicrously poor policy making.

Danwolf
    Participant

tiggerbrown: Allow me to clarify: it makes sense in terms of – Passenger upgrades at check-in (with special meal requirement): where are they going to find an extra special meal 3ish hours before take-off?

Hope that clarifies the common sense aspect of my comment

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

tiggerbrown

FYI, I was once sitting in business class on an intra-european flight, when two pax were upgraded into the section (only 2 already in it), but were then given an economy service, which was out of step with the business class service I received and was basically disruptive.

I complained to the airline (not BA), who accepted that it had disrupted my service and sold me my next business class fare at economy price to compensate.

I guess airlines are open to attack for providing mixed service in a class and therefore do not wish to do that, in addition to Danwolf’s point above.

brummiedj
    Participant

To be honest, as I said, I think it was a mistake to offer it to you and an oversight by the lounge agent…who should have checked. Although not official, I believe the reason we do not upgrade special meal pax is for 2 reasons…1. the meal is more expensive to produce, 2. It would not look good for say, passengers in Club World to see another pax being served an economy meal.
    However, as mentioned I find it weird that for a WT to WT+ upgrade this would even matter…it is the same meal offered in both classes. I would contact Exec Club if I were you…these days they give out free miles like big macs!

Danwolf
    Participant

DisgustedofSwieqi: agreed, taking money and refunding because they made an ‘error’ is not a great situation for the PAX.

So, anybody have any great ideas as to an alternative policy on upgrading PAXs with special meals? As it sounds the current policy seems to be the ‘best of the worst.’

Irons80
    Participant

Crumbs, is there anything DofS doesn’t have a (usually anti-BA) opinion on?

Anyway, as someone who always has a special meal (DoS have you ever ordered one?), I am absolutely fine with the policy. The meals have to be specially ordered and prepared in advance (I know the caterer) and they are not cheap (a biz meal could cost £50+ and is served on the same china and cutlery and has to be ordered at least 24 hours in advance). The airline doesn’t want to serve mixed services in one class (as has been pointed out by DoS) and similarly doesn’t want to offend anyone or be accused of not giving them a meal.

So I am absolutely fine with the policy – I have never been upgraded and doubt I ever will be. I deal with it.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Irons80

My concern here is not the policy.

Yes or no answer. Is it okay to take money from someone for a promised service and then refuse to supply that service?

I always order a special meal when I travel on BA, it keeps me in the seat I paid for (NCW, with the ability to select a decent seat and not open to a First involup into a poor seat.) I’m flying NCW next week and the week after that, ordered the special meals on booking and reserving good seats.

By the way, I have been upgraded in the past. Lots of times.

NTarrant
    Participant

I think you are being a bit over reactive Disgusted, its not ,like Stuartv got on the plane and was in flight before it was realised. It was clearly an error that he was offered the upgrade and it was noticed and refunded

Irons80
    Participant

DoS, I said you don’t get updrades if you have a special meal request on your profile (i.e. it’s automatically added when you book), not if you request one when you book.
    Hence, no upgrades for me, but lots for you on the airline you despise so much

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Nigel

So when is a contract formed?

I think you are being a bit naive.

My underlying concern here is that airlines are very quick to wave T&Cs at you if you make an error, but don’t wish to be held to account when they get it wrong.

For avoidance of doubt, I’d hold the same opinion if it was Lufthansa or Air Malta.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Irons80

“DoS, I said you don’t get updrades if you have a special meal request on your profile”

No you didn’t, even though you may have meant that, you wrote

“Anyway, as someone who always has a special meal (DoS have you ever ordered one?), I am absolutely fine with the policy.”

And the answer is, yes, as previously communicated.

I seem to recall before that you had trouble with people who are not telepathic and therefore do not understand what you mean, when you don’t write it. Always has and has one ordered on his profile do not the same thing and the former is ambiguous.

have a nice day.

Irons80
    Participant

You seem to have trouble with virtually everyone. I am having a nice day, thanks

Irons80
    Participant

Oh and why don’t you read things properly, you supercilious fool
    Post 2:
    As far as I have been made aware, if you have special meal preference on your profile, you are never given an upgrade, as the special meals are different in different classes and are often specially ordered. They will not as a policy serve special meals that aren’t from the class of travel your are in. As an example, if you are in WT+ with a kosher meal, because the kosher meal is an economy meal, they won’t upgrade you to CW as they won’t serve a non-CW meal in CW.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls