Upgrade to Club Europe

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

• Anonymous

Potakas
    Participant

I have booked two return trips on economy class through ba.com , as i canceled some trips from my calendar i have to upgrade the remaining flights in order to gain my first silver status.

Because my flights are starting from Edinburgh i cannot upgrade them online and i have to call the reservation office in order to do it, i was just wondering if it will be cheaper for me to upgrade them at Edinburgh airport (or maybe heathrow, but i will loose the extra tier points from my first flights), is it cheaper at the airport or is better to upgrade them now? My flights are at the end of November and at the end December

Regards
    Potakas

CharlieBrown
    Participant

Hi Potakas,

It is possible to upgrade certain sectors of your journey under the “manage my booking” function on ba.com. There should be an “upgrade my class of travel with money” located at the bottom of the page (when using the new format) offering you the opportunity to upgrade onward connections ex LHR or LGW. (Domestic services of course cannot be upgraded to Business UK flexible).

Regards.

Potakas
    Participant

Thomas,

i ‘ve done this path and i choose {I wish to upgrade this flight to Club Europe (prices will be displayed on next page)},

then i have this message:

Error
    We’re sorry but this flight cannot be upgraded online. Please contact your local reservations office.

But i think this happens because i have a UK flight inside the same ticket.

Although this is not my problem, i am wondering if it is cheaper to upgrade my class of travel when i’ll be at the airport than do it know.

Regards

CharlieBrown
    Participant

That’s very bizarre. I’ve flown BA countless times from EDI connecting through LGW & LHR and have on occasion upgraded the connecting sectors using this function, so the fact you originate in EDI shouldn’t be an issue. I wonder if CE is simply fully booked on these services? Have you tried checking these flights individually from London to see if there is actual availability?

If all else fails I’d look for a cheap CE fare to Paris, Amsterdam, Jersey et al. to secure EC Silver for another year.

Regards.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Much easier to ensure everything posts correctly by ensuring you have the upgrade in the bag well before you get to EDI.

Potakas
    Participant

I have checked also the CE availability for the specific flights and seems to be available on all fares, never mind i will call them tomorrow to see what is happening, have you ever upgrade to CE at the airport before check in?

Regards

——Edit —–

(Right VK and probably i’ll do that, as i don’t believe that if there is any last minute sale won’t be so great)

Potakas
    Participant

Ok i have done it, they didn’t charge me also for the offline booking as there was not my problem that i couldn’t do it online 🙂

Any suggestions to which seat to book? i am traveling with
    767 ( LHR-ATH) and
    A320 (ATH-LHR)

I just don’t want to have misaligned window.

Regards

Potakas

continentalclub
    Participant

Thomas-Brown it is a known issue that ba.com cannot process online upgrades when domestic sectors are included in the booking. For this reason the contact centre is aware that the offline fee should be waived as the website lacks the appropriate functionality (despite sometimes teasing with a clickable link).

I can’t immediately explain how or why you may recollect having been able to do so yourself in the past, but for others reading and facing this problem currently, the advice would always be to contact BA on the telephone and effect the upgrade in that way.

I’m not aware of any misaligned windows on British Airways shorthaul 767s, or A320s, unlike the longhaul 777s – so unless others have better information I wouldn’t worry unduly about this, Potakas.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

The main advice e the 767, is to take a mask (from a long haul flight), in case you are unlucky enough to experience the ‘disco.’

You will know if you do!

NTarrant
    Participant

Recently did LHR-LCA on 767 and had 2K out and 2A back, both were okay.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Even though I prefer a window seat, I would recommend a “middle” seat for a 767 in CE config; the seat are widest in the middle seats and you have more space between you and your neighbour when travelling alone.

The mask is a good idea……!

CharlieBrown
    Participant

Continentalclub, I refer to various flights I have taken between EDI & JER via LGW. In the past I have booked economy then upgraded to CE on the LGW – JER sector online without a problem. This issue may apply to other services including a domestic sector but based upon my experience it hasn’t been a problem.

Regards.

continentalclub
    Participant

Thomas-Brown very interesting, thanks for coming back to the thread. The more I think about it, I wonder if your experience is anything to do with Jersey technically being a domestic network point, and the only domestic route offering a Club cabin.

EDI-LGW-JER is therefore not a domestic to shorthaul connection, but rather a domestic to domestic.

Unlike domestic to shorthauls, which ba.com fails on when it comes to online upgrades to Club Europe, perhaps this unique Jersey scenario is one that the site can cope with.

In any event, it’s something that it would be most helpful if BA would look at; I suspect that ba.com’s failure to offer so-called ‘pro-active online upgrades’ on connecting itineraries originating domestically is also a symptom of whatever the underlying problem is.

Potakas
    Participant

Once again i was trying to upgrade via phone another booking i had, to CE.

the lady on the phone asked me for the upgrade 1600 Pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!! When the price for a new CE return ticket is 469 pounds (same date flights with the initial booking).

I told her that if see checks the system now she will find out that the same flights on new CE booking will cost three times less than the price she told me.

She told me that this happens because i am trying an upgrade with domestic flights and i told her that i had already done upgrades to the same routes other times and the price was the same (+ the penalty for changing upgrading the flight).

Do you think the reservation lady had a mistake and call again?

Regards

Potakas

———————EDIT——————–

Ignore this post i called again and i upgraded also this one for a normal price (353 pounds)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls