Ukraine International Airlines Crash

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

• Sami
    Participant

Sad news from Tehran. A Ukraine International Airlines Boeing 737-800 enroute from Tehran To Kiev crashed a few seconds after take-off killing around 180 people. Condolences to all involved. Many of the passengers were Iranian students returning to their studies at Ukrainian universities after spending the holidays with families in Iran. Mechanical failure seems to be the cause. UIA CEO said that the crew involved were among the most experienced in the airline.
    Your thoughts??

2 users thanked author for this post.

AFlyingDutchman
    Participant

Its a terribly sad event, and my sympathies to the families and friends of those tragically on board that flight. Its also sad that there are already conspiracy theorists linking this to Trump/Ukraine/Impeachment/Iran/Soleimani. Those who perished in this crash deserve prayers, not conspiracy. RIP

1 user thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

Sad news indeed, many Canadians (mostly students) perished along with other nationalities including 3 Brits.
    Hopefully the tragedy will focus the minds of 2 leaders who’ll remain unnamed , and in the spirit of goodwill the NTSB & Boeing officials will be allowed and more importantly welcomed into The Islamic State as friends, and not suspected foes.

Fingers crossed !

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[postquote quote=986101][/postquote]

To be expected I suppose. I was wondering the same thing earlier and guess it will most likely go to somewhere in Asia.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

… what would happen if the Iranians refused to hand it over or tried to tamper with it themselves?

capetonianm
    Participant

The first question I would ask is whose property is it under international law?
    Ukraine as operator, Boeing as manufacturer, Iran as the country where the crash took place, or whoever manufactured the recorders?

canucklad
    Participant

I suspect that the French BEA are the most reputable investigation team that the Iranians would come close to trusting with any data ?

capetonianm
    Participant

I wouldn’t dispute that, but if it is a matter of choice where they are sent, then who makes that choice? Also the BEA would have a stronger claim with an Airbus, but the French have no substantial link to this crash.

DavidGrodentz
    Participant

Maybe BEA because of CFM engines

capetonianm
    Participant

CFM engines were fitted to that a/c. CFM is joint US/FR so that would point towards the French BEA.

Sami
    Participant

Latest about UIA passengers. Most were headed to Canada and it’s amazing the number of doctors, scientists, university professors and students on that flight. Both Iran and Canada will feel this valuable loss.

canucklad
    Participant

Speculation and rampant media inspired rumours are the scourge of accident investigators, and yet, the actions of the Iranian authorities (regime?) feel more like a MH17 / KA7 incident than a tragic failure of flight systems.

Ottawa needs to apply as much pressure as they can, although I suspect the rampant paranoia now seen in Tehran would suggest it’ll fall on deaf ears

Meanwhile, the worlds most popular aircraft crashes and we all find ourselves at the mercy of a state that has demonstrated its total contempt for international law and the respect expected for living in the global village to find the answer

C’mon Trudeau flex your muscles before it’s to late

Swissdiver
    Participant

So the Western governments are now blaming the Iranians for the crash. It happened at 6.12am while strikes against the US army took place at 1.30am. So these two events are unconnected. In addition, looking at the casualty list, the majority of names sound very Iranian to me, suggesting the many Canadians were bi-nationals- Why any Iranian would shoot it down? Am I missing something?

canucklad
    Participant

Maybe not deliberately, but imagine you’re manning a defensive weapon in the middle of the night
    Only a few hours earlier your country launches an attack against its biggest and most powerfullist enemy who’s already promised to retaliate ruthlessly against you
    And suddenly your radar screen lights up
    Almost a perfect storm for a nervous trigger happy guardian of God
    What is beginning to concern me is the contradictory reports now coming out of Tehran.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls