UK to Hong Kong passenger flights to restart later this week

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

• cwoodward
    Participant

The Hong Kong government will allow incoming passenger flights from the UK to recommence later this week. Incoming passengers will need to serve 21 days hotel quarantine.

2 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

As a businessman trying to return to HKG and Asia, it is disheartening to see a new 21 day prisoner style quarantine + costs involved (for ex-UK passengers). Do none of the vaccines provide any confidence to the HKG authorities?

1 user thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

Hi Martyn, It seems not nor from what I understand do the UK government or most other governments for that matter.

The HKG government are very slow and cautious and many would say (myself included) overly so. They are also prone to make ill considered knee-jerk decisions and than need to back track as with last weeks draconian decision to force all of HKGs 180k domestic helpers to have a vaccination by May 9th or risk loosing there jobs. This created an instant furor internationally and will now be rescinded.
    Much of this silliness is caused by HKGs need to to have access to China for its citizens with China being very careful of taking this step.
    Apologies to all for perhaps straying into politics but difficult to explain without doing so however on the positive side friends who know these things believe that many of the existing restrictions are planned to be eased prior to month end.
    I very urgently need to come to the UK to sign banking business documents that require me to be in the UK to do so but the hurdles and restrictions there are not a lot better to be honest although I am also fully vaccinated.

2 users thanked author for this post.

FormerBA
    Participant

I have a flight booked for August which transits HKG is also EX and which, with in hours of booking, BA cancelled the last sector. Consequently I have sat on the booking and taken no action as I needed to see if HKG and my intended destination are open without restrictions by August. It seems unlikely but things can change quickly. Especially perhaps for fully vaccinated travelers

Hong Kong’s 21 day hotel quarantine while draconian, is at least keeping infections and deaths at levels this country could only dream of. Just 210 deaths in total and just 7 new infections over the last days on average.

You can understand their reluctance to import people and infections from places like Europe and the UK in particular, where death and infections were out of control. I frankly admire those who closed their countries to protect their populations and who at least now, are enjoying near normal lives without the misery of bereavement. If only we had been so enlightened and proactive.

3 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1098198]Hong Kong’s 21 day hotel quarantine while draconian, is at least keeping infections and deaths at levels this country could only dream of. Just 210 deaths in total and just 7 new infections over the last days on average.[/quote]

Agreed Former BA.

However, we are told the vaccine’s are the ‘way out’. So why the need for the 21 day draconian quarantine if the traveller has had the recommended dose(s) of an approved vaccine, plus covid test on arrival.

[quote quote=1098192]however on the positive side friends who know these things believe that many of the existing restrictions are planned to be eased prior to month end.[/quote]

I hope so….

3 users thanked author for this post.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

I’m not sure China / HK have ever said vaccines are the way out, but the UK certainly has. The upcoming traffic lights for UK and entry requirements take no vaccines into account. Hopefully we’ll see another U-Turn on this position and fall into line with the EU and many other places with reduced testing needs for vaccinated travellers compared to non vaccinated travellers.

At least good news for HK that the direct flights and operating to HKG and also SIN will now accept UK originating transit passengers again (no need to stay on same plane for those continuing to Australia / NZ).

FormerBA
    Participant

Yes vaccine may be the way out but very few people in the world are vaccinated.

The UK seems to think that because people here are vaccinated then it’s a free for all. Sadly deluded as much of the UK response has been.

I may be vaccinated but it doesn’t mean I cant get sick nor apparently that I cannot spread. We need far far greater numbers to be vaccinated before we may generally be safe again. Till then it is for nation states to decide who gets in and the circumstances of their entry.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Stevescoots
    Participant

[postquote quote=1098192]

judging from the new outbreak in north Vietnam traced to several Chinese, both those who entered legally and those who came across illegally (and the one a few months ago from same source) one does suspect the HK Govt knows a little more about the whats going on across the Shenzhen ditch than either side is saying, hence the recent talk of being happy to open up to Sin but not cross border…of course that just my opinion…..frustrating as i have not been able to get into my Hk office or company in China in over a year

DavidGrodentz
    Participant

[postquote quote=1098192]
    Domestic helpers are required to be Covid tested by 09 May, this is similar to testing requirements imposed on others in the past, such as restaurant workers, who have to be tested every two weeks until vaccinated. Or, taxi drivers and minibus drivers, who had mandatory testing requirements imposed on them in the past

What the HK Government is now backtracking on is the requirement that domestic helpers get vaccinated before arriving or when starting new contracts. There was no deadline for this. The uproar that this has caused is that they are being singled out from other new arrivals taking up jobs in the city or, moving to new jobs

HK has kept its population relatively safe, with the 16 month total numbers being way less than some countries have seen in a single day. But, yes, the quarantine restrictions also impact those of us here who also want to travel. But, agree, the vaccination requirements for domestic helpers was a step too far

There is quite a lot of top down frustration here that vaccination levels are low, only around 12% of the population have had their first dose, whilst there are enough vaccines to allow everyone to be vaccinated.

cwoodward
    Participant

Announced this morning Singapore has introduced mandatory 21 day quarantine for incoming passengers from all but 7 Asia Pacific countries. The HKG -SING bubble is unaffected

cwoodward
    Participant

Stevescoots
    You make a good point . The vaccination rate in China is very low. The last time that I checked it was under 30%.

The HK rate should be approaching that by weekend as there has been something of a rush which is expected to now continue as a result of pubs/music venues and the like again being open for business ………but only if you have vaccinated (and can show the certificate app). Any staff employed must now also be vaccinated. This is a major opening up as these venues have been closed for many months. Social distancing in restaurants has also been eased for those fully vaccinated by allowing up to 6 persons per table (4 only previously)

Stevescoots
    Participant

Yes several of my Hk friends refuse to get the vaccine saying they are scared (thanks media!) but admit if it meant they could travel they would get it……

Vietnam has just introduced 4 weeks quarantine, 3 weeks in hotel and 7 days at home. this in response to an out break where people tested positive after quarantine. However all is not what it seems. Reports are 2 from India that came in were in central quarantine (where people mix) and experts from mainland China who according to other hotel guests were visiting rooms with other guests while in quarantine and the hotel did nothing to stop them and then travelled all over after quarantine when the rule is you have to stay in one place for a week. I was getting my second jab next week then looking to go back and face my 3rd 2-week quarantine but to hell with that! I can see me being stuck in Uk again now even though fully vaccinated.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

Stevescoots – join the club! I have also had my two jabs but the ridiculous price of the largely unnecessary PCR tests and all the other fuss is keeping me well stuck in the UK…

IanFromHKG
    Participant

There is a well-known HK-based shareholder activist, called David Webb, who rather entertaingly has his own website called webb-site.com.

He has trenchant views on many topics, most (not all, but most) of which I agree with.

Here is his view on HK’s quarantine rules.

I couldn’t agree more

5 users thanked author for this post.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

IanfromHKG, no link visible

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls