UK rail and the planned closure of most ticket offices

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

• AdamMarley
    Participant

This is just a way of shipping more profits overseas to the franchise owners.

It won’t make fares cheaper at all.

I travel reasonably frequently by train and bought a London-Liverpool return from the machine at Euston with Avanti

The machine wouldn’t process a seat reservation so I went to the ticketing counter where, as well as doing the seat reservation, the lady realised there were cheaper tickets and sorted those out with a £75ish saving each way.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Thanks for your comments AdamMarley,

Not sure if you read my last posting on this thread but I did refer to the comments made by Sir Michael Holden.

What some people do not realise is that the ticket office closures are being proposed by the government and not by the TOCs (the train operators).

Having spent many billions on the rail network during the pandemic our government is anxious to make economies and regular rail disruption is not helping matters.

As regards the train firms it must be noted that many are now in public ownership. Examples include: LNER, Northern, TPE, TfW, SE Trains, Scotrail and Caledonian Sleeper. (The latter two have been taken over by the Scottish government while TfW is run by the Welsh government).

Chief exceptions being Avanti, XCountry and GWR.

One final point is that, open access firms excepted, all fares revenue now goes to the government.

In other words these train operators are now paid a management fee to operate their services.

It’s been this way since ’emergency measures’ too effect at the start of the pandemic.

russyyz
    Participant

As a foreigner, I bought my August “Southern” tickets online and have been told to pick up the tickets at a kiosk. Fine.
    However they advise I must use a recognized British credit card, OR pick up the tickets at the office.
    I’m hoping there is no queue at Victoria as we are connecting from across London!

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls