Tube strikes

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 90 total)

• SergeantMajor
    Participant

And the best way to demonstrate your contempt for the unions is to carry on and use one of the many alternatives ways to get around London, be it by bus, taxi, Boris Bike or ferry.

If that’s not possible, use video conferencing to carry on generating the wealth we need to genuinely increase all our living standards, and not just those of a bullying union, seeking to obstruct change and protect wasteful practices, to everyone’s detriment and in the face of The majority of those affected already requesting voluntary redundancy.

1nfrequent
    Participant

“If this is unacceptable to posters, have you lobbied your MP about the need to impose proper competition on the transport infrastructure of London?”

How do you propose to increase competition in London’s transport infrastructure?

1F

KarlMarx
    Participant

I do not propose to do anything, as I have never put myself forward for public office nor taken any money for being in a public position and as I am unaffected by this dispute, I do not have the motivation to take any action.

However, I am considering using the ferry for my next visit to Chingford.

Intheair
    Blocked

Further to SM.s comment above, this dispute, which will be repeated time and time again if the unions succeed in their narrow-minded selfish way, should prompt TFL to look at automated trains. London cannot be held to ransom and a few selfish individuals affect London business.

London needs an efficient transport system to support its world class status. This Neanderthal way of negotiation makes us look third class.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Glad to hear KM that you are unaffected by the strike and trust the many union members enjoy their days off.

We have no choice but to move our London meetings over to Europe during the week of these potential strikes.

This means cancelling hotel rooms, meeting rooms, catering, ground handling for 3 private aircraft plus all the miscellaneous expenditure.

We are only a small company but will not put our investment at risk of a union that is so out of the times…

KarlMarx
    Participant

MS, I am not glad to hear of your disruption and it is an appalling indictment of the management of London that this same situation occurs again and again. The citizens, workers and businesses of London are served poorly by the politicians (in the different forms or government and also in the union movement) when they are used as the cannon fodder for resolving disputes.

SergeantMajor
    Participant

This has nothing whatsoever to do with LT management and everything to do with a bullying union which is holding Londoners to ransom.

When they last tried this, 80% of Londoners agreed:

“These changes don’t involve compulsory redundancies, will save millions that will be reinvested in the system, and are backed by over 80 per cent of Londoners, and yet the unions have refused to properly engage with TfLs consultation, and walked away from Acas this week.”

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/458055/Traffic-and-train-chaos-as-Tube-strike-hits-commuters

JohnHarper
    Participant

” SergeantMajor – 24/04/2014 11:54 GMT

This has nothing whatsoever to do with LT management and everything to do with a bullying union which is holding Londoners to ransom.

When they last tried this, 80% of Londoners agreed:

“These changes don’t involve compulsory redundancies, will save millions that will be reinvested in the system, and are backed by over 80 per cent of Londoners, and yet the unions have refused to properly engage with TfLs consultation, and walked away from Acas this week.””

Oh dear, it takes two parties at least to have a dispute. If LT management in this case are not one of them, who apart from the unions are involved.

I certainly don’t approve of this strike but the post above strikes me as nonsense.

KarlMarx
    Participant

Ah, but the Sergent quotes the Daily Express, so it must be a high cred post.

Now, I need to find the ferry timetable to Chingford.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Apart from overcrowding during rush hour, exactly what is wrong with the underground???

Gets most people from A to B pretty quickly… and efficiently.. exactly what are the workers moaning about…. innovation / modernisation??

MartynSinclair
    Participant

“Certain to be abandoned”

SM/VK – and I once thought both you and your predecessor had good connections!!!

For those of you travelling in tomorrow, this may help. For me using the Northern Line, doesn’t look too bad, I have a meeting at the IOD tomorrow, just hope it doesn’t rain, very pleasant walk from Green Park (as Charing X on the Northern Line is closed)..

https://metro.co.uk/2014/04/28/from-apps-and-maps-to-boris-bikes-how-to-beat-the-tube-strike-4710854/

BT – perhaps the thread title could be changed to:

“Tube Strike Latest” – as clearly its not going to be suspended….

Speedybird
    Participant

I have absolutely no time for those RMT thugs!!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

How on earth can a ticket office job be described as “safety critical”??

Thank goodness BA didn’t start striking when it closed all its High Street ticket shops….. I am sure ticket offices at the main stations, Oxford Street, main line railway stations, wont close…. but so what if they do.. When I go to Germany, I have to use automated ticket machines, with very good English language translation, they work and they work fast……

Mick Cash is as mad as his predecessor Bob Crowe (of blessed memory)……

“RMT acting general secretary Mick Cash said: “London Underground have dug themselves into an entrenched position and have refused to move one inch from their stance of closing every ticket office, in breach of the agreement reached previously through ACAS which enabled us to suspend the previous round of action.

“Despite the spin from LU, nothing they are proposing is about ‘modernisation’.

“The current plans, closing every ticket office and axing nearly a thousand safety-critical jobs, are solely about massive austerity cuts driven centrally by David Cameron and his Government and implemented by Mayor Boris Johnson.” “

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Having recently travelled around Berlin, the entire metro system is entirely open, there are NO ticket offices, all fares are paid via automatic ticket machines and there are frequent fare/ticket inspections onboard.

So is the RMT seriously trying to tell us that whereas Germans/Berliners can manage without any ticket offices, that Brits/Londoners are uniquely stupid so that they have to have ticket offices? I cannot remember when I last actually stood at the counter rather than just swiping my Oyster and topping it up after getting off a train.

This dispute has precisely nothing whatsoever to do with the RMT’s standard line of “safety concerns…” when many staff are going to be redeployed onto platforms (something that you NEVER see in Berlin!). It is about the RMT’s determination to continue telling management what to do and in many respects, it mirrors BASSA’s conduct in refusing to accept the right of managements to manage.

Charles-P
    Participant

For the RMT this is fundamentally an issue about FUTURE membership not the present ones. There are no job losses associated with these closures but there are positions that will be eliminated and the RMT knows that. Driverless trains are an inevitability and the success of the DLR and other operations around the world shows the falseness of the ‘safety’ argument. Without ticket sellers and drivers the RMT union is going to be finding it hard to maintain membership dues and subsequently pay union officials.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 90 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls