Transferring at Kuala Lumpur

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

• JKL
    Participant

Hi Martyn, yes fair point. It was just that I recall the BA one being rather good, so I was wondering if it would return… The CX one is nice – better than the Qantas one, I think, although to be fair, it was quiet when I was there, whereas the times I used the Qantas lounge, it was quite busy. But as cityprofessional says, either is better than the contract lounge used by MH (I’m tempted to say no lounge would be better… 😉

peterraven
    Participant

Hi… Allow me to add my few words of wisdom… You may find that you have better luck on the return journey but I hope you manage to persuade BA to check your bags through to your final destination. Last year, I flew SIN-HKG-LON with Singapore Airlines and British Airways and SQ could check my bags all the way – however on the return LON-HKG-SIN BA refused and made me collect my bags in HKG and check them in again with BA. SO… Who knows what will happen in your case

bombayteddy
    Participant

I cannot comment about going through Immigration etc because I have always transited MH to MH at KUL. However, please be very careful with your luggage.
    On TWO occasions, the MH loaders stole the brand-new, TSA-enabled, Samsonite combination-locks I had placed on the top “envelope” of my suitcase (in an apparent attempt to get inside) and once even broke the zip. Luckily, nothing else was stolen/damaged. And the only response from the airline was a belated, standard apology.
    So make sure that any locks you use do NOT have TSA keyholes!

RonBrown
    Participant

Has anyone tried connecting between terminals at KLIA? I have a flight on Air Asia to KL and a flight out on MH?

JKL
    Participant

It’s about 5 minutes on the KLIA Ekspres train between KLIA2 and KLIA. They run every 15-20 minutes. Not sure whether there are other options. I haven’t used KLIA2 myself, so I don’t know how long it usually takes to get from plane to train, but once you’re off at KLIA, it’s fairly quick to get up to departures – there’s a lift or if you don’t have much baggage it’s often just as quick / less crowded to take the escalators.

RonBrown
    Participant

Thank you.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

On BA checking bags through, I would be wary. Although my experience was not oneworld, BA check-in staff outright lied to me:
    http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/Interlining-bags-from-BA-to-non-oneworld-airline

I have tried to find the link where I reviewed flights and the lounges at KL without success, but suffice it to say I was unimpressed even by the F MH lounge and ended up in the CX lounge. the good news it is very easy and quick to transfer to and from the terminals so you can lounge-hop very easily to find the lounge that suits you.

Happy travels!

DerekVH
    Participant

Well so far so good, arrived to a very quiet T5, very friendly check in agent who took the view that as MH were a OneWorld partner she had no problem checking my luggage through to BKK I now have to see what happens when I go to a transfer desk in KUL. As an aside the south fast track security was faultless and very quick a new experience for me!

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Derek, if BA gave you an MH boarding pass (which they should have been able to do), or you check in on-line on the MHMobile app, you won’t need to go to a transit desk. KUL is a bit like Changi – arrivals and departures are all mingled together, so you can go straight to the lounge to await your onward flight. However, all the good lounges are in the Satellite terminal, not the Main terminal. The shuttle between the two is very frequent and quite short, so it should take you less than ten minutes to get between them.

Happy travels!

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls