Transferring at Kuala Lumpur

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

• Anonymous

DerekVH
    Participant

I would appreciate any advice regarding transferring flights at KUL. I am arriving on BA and departing on MH to BKK. Despite being Oneworld partners BA say they cannot guarantee my luggage can be checked through to BKK. Both airlines operate from the main M terminal but does anyone know if I can simply collect my luggage and go to a transfer desk or would I need to exit through customs and then check in again with MH? I am travelling in F with BA and J with MH. In response to the inevitable question I want to try BA F in the new 787-9!

TominScotland
    Participant

Derek, it will be a case of out and then in again via immigration and customs, I am afraid. Immigration is generally fast at KUL. It will also be a bit of a pain in that this means taking the connector train to the main terminal for this and returning by the same route after check-in with MH.

cityprofessional
    Participant

If it’s the same ticket, they’ll check through. I’d ask anyway – check in at the F area at LHR; they are generally more amenable

Otherwise LHR flights arrive at the satellite terminal, and 95%+ of BKK flights leave from the main terminal, so you’d have to take the Aerotrain anyway. Immigration and luggage delivery are normally prompt at KUL, and priority tagging usually honoured, so it’s just a case of taking the lift back upstairs to priority check in. Should be very little hassle

DerekVH
    Participant

Thanks both – I am on separate tickets (BA would not book the KUL/BKK leg) but YouFirst hinted that the check-in staff may allow this so I will ask but be prepared for the worst!

TheRealBabushka
    Participant

Sounds like BS to me.

My understanding is even on separate tickets oneworld policy allows for interlining of baggage. The exception being for airports where local security or custom policy requires your bags to be collected and re-check i.e. USA or AU ports. Malaysia does not have such policies in place.

Refer to:

https://www.oneworld.com/airports-destinations/baggage-information/baggage-queries-during-travel

Note: There are no conditions attached to the phrase “…travelling on connecting oneworld flights” i.e. there is no requirement that the segments are on the same ticket.

So I gather that BA agent you spoke to was a) ignorant or b) trying to fob you off.

DerekVH
    Participant

Thanks
    I think the issue is I am not on a designated connecting flight
    “If you are travelling on connecting oneworld flights, your luggage will be checked through to your final destination at the time of check-in.*

TheRealBabushka
    Participant

DerekVH,

That is what I mean by there being no conditions attached to the phrase “…travelling on connecting oneworld flights”.

That sentence does not preclude the inclusion of flights booked on separate tickets. You have chosen to define “connecting oneworld flight” on the stricter condition of “designation”. I put to you that, that condition, by virtue of its exclusion has no merit in this case.

JKL
    Participant

Assuming you have a good couple of hours between your flights, I’d recommend popping into the MH Golden Lounge (upstairs before the aerotrain when you arrive). I believe as an arriving BA First passenger (but certainly if you’re OneWorld Emerald) you’ll have access to the Platinum lounge therein – the showers and a la carte dining in there are rather good (whereas the showers in the J section were a bit grim last time I looked). Last time I took checked baggage, I had time for a quick shower and a bite to eat before taking the train over to immigration and getting to the carousel just as my suitcase arrived (granted that was off an A380, so may be quicker from other aircraft – I think I spent about 20 minutes in the lounge). The aerotrain is pretty quick – about two minutes; I quite often pop over to the satellite terminal to use the Platinum lounge even if my flight is leaving from the other terminal – it’s really no big deal to get between the two. That said, the Regional lounge is quite nice and if for any reason you can’t get into the Platinum lounge, the showers in Regional are somewhat nicer than those in the main (J) part of the main (satellite) Golden lounge (confusingly, the ‘main’ terminal is actually the satellite building…). You’ll be able to use the First/Business immigration lane if you do have to retrieve and recheck your luggage, so that should be pretty quick – KLIA is a relatively small and easy-to-get-around airport, so unless you’re on a really tight connection, you should have a relaxing transfer.

Talking of which – they tend to board the 737 flights at the last minute in my experience; I once arrived late from London for a transfer to Singapore, and ran across to the gate in panic-mode expecting to miss the flight or at least be the last one on, charged past what I assumed were the passengers for the next flight using that gate, got ushered down the jetbridge at about two minutes before scheduled departure… only to discover I was the first one on! So of course I then had to sit there while the aforementioned passengers boarded behind me… Slightly embarrassing 😉

Oh and in case it’s useful to know, security / x-ray is at the gate as well as immediately after immigration.

DerekVH
    Participant

Very useful information thanks TheRealBabushka and JonHirsch, I have over 2 hours in each direction so there will be no time problem if I have to retrieve the luggage but I will use the “travelling on connecting oneworld fllghts” line if need be! I will be flying back in F on BA so will have use of the MH Golden Lounge.

JKL
    Participant

Make sure they send you to the Platinum section – turn right, not left! 😉

Incidentally, does anyone know if/when the BA lounge at Bangkok is ever going to reopen? I was there a couple of weeks ago – Cathay’s seemed to be the best option (not bad at all – possibly where BA used to be, if I remember correctly?)

AleRomUY
    Participant

Derek, KLIA is a nice and easy-going airport.
    I recommend you to call BA in advance or better drop by any office of them, and show your connecting ticket, so they may add as “passive segment” as it is called, your connecting flight to your booking. That will help you a lot at the time of going to the airport. And since both are oneworld, it should work well.
    Regarding the MH Golden Lounge, they will grant you access to the right side, the Premium one, only if you are Emerald on oneworld.
    I have transited several times KL flying Business on MH. While I was Gold on QR (Saphire on oneworld) they invited me to the left side, the Business Class lounge. But as soon as I became Platinum on QR and so Emerald, now every time I transit there (in my case always flying J on MH), they invite me to the right side which is very nice, comfy, quiet and relaxing. And the staff there are extremely nice and polite.
    As it was said above, your flight to BKK will depart from the Main Terminal so u have to take the Aerotrain.
    Have a good trip!

cityprofessional
    Participant

Funny, one man’s poison and all that… I personally prefer the main terminal regional MH lounge, even over the Platinum lounge. It’s a bit cosier, nicer atmosphere, cleaner showers, and never really that busy. For me, the Plat lounge is a bit soulless, and the food spread is poor (albeit you can order food – mostly the things that are on display in the J lounge)

Put it this way, I wouldn’t backtrack to the satellite terminal unless your flight was leaving from there – the main terminal regional lounge is pleasant and never that busy

I don’t think the BA lounge will be back at BKK – it’s exactly where the new CX lounge is. However, when you leave BKK on MH, remember you can use the CX, JL and QF lounges, depending when they are open… All are much better than the contract lounge that MH normally directs its passengers to

Str8Talking
    Participant

I have had written confirmation from BA in the past that if flights are on separate tickets, as long as all flights are operated by either BA, OW partners or a mix, then they will through-check your baggage.

Sometimes the check in agent makes this simple and just does it. Other times they say it’s not possible. I always bring up the e-mail confirmation and things soon get sorted. I did once have an issue where the person at the check in desk was fairly new and did not know that Air Berlin was a OW partner. I pointed that out. She still had doubts, but her supervisor came by, I explained the situation, and the issue was sorted.

It is OW policy and as the link shared by TheRealBabushka indicates, there is no specification that the flights have to be on the same ticket. Although not useful to you, AA’s own policy actually states that it is OW policy to do this even on separate tickets. You might just need to politely guide the check in agent if they are not aware of the policy. The computer can say yes to this one!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Hi Jon

I don’t think BA need to open a new lounge in BKK, whilst OneWorld members provide lounge courtesies to each other (when travelling OneWorld).

My next BKK/Asia trip gives me the opportunity to try both the CX lounge in BKK and the new F in HKG… Who needs a BA lounge when these are on offer!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls