Tips to make life easier on the road

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

• Anonymous

Business Traveller wants to know your ideas about how to improve life on the road and in the air. Tell us your top tips for getting a good night’s sleep, or how airports could be better designed to improve efficiency and comfort. Your ideas can be practical and realistic, or you can have a bit of fun and tell us what things you would want in an ideal world.

DanDare
    Participant

My life would be so much easier if:

Hotel Rooms had the following:

A light switch the turned on all the lights and the lights actually lit the whole room.

Power sockets weren’t hidden under the desk.

Hi-speed internet acces was free.

Airlines in Europe allowed you to go on an earlier flight if there is room despite having a non flexible ticket. (the US allow this and its so much easier.

Free wif-fi in all lounges.

On board if I pay for a biz ticket I want a flat bed, a decent size table, a power socket that works and somewhere to store my bits.

And most of all I like it when Hotels/Airlines/Airports/Rental Car Agencies & the like realise that I would really rather be at home but my job dictates that I am with them and when things go wrong a little understanding and help is truly appreciated.

robinsyria
    Participant

Earplugs have saved my sanity on many occasions from Tokyo to Dubai. Anyone who, like me, needs a good night’s sleep should pack a pair, and make sure they are better than standard pharmacy quality.

TLC-not!
    Participant

Wifi on planes … but no cell phones please, that is just too disrputive for everyone else – send an email instead

Washrooms on planes that have automatic flush systems and a longer cyle on the automatic tap so you can actually finish washing your hands before having to hit it again (its the little things in life
    😉

Thermostats that actually work in your hotel room

More towels please – and larger bath towels would be really apprecated

TVs that when you turn them on don’t require you to immeidately press the volume button down a million times as your TV wakes up everyone on the floor

More express lines in security for biz class travellers

TLC-not!
    http://biztravelwoes.blogspot.com/

canoepunkie
    Participant

re. robinsyria and earplugs:

melatonin tablets complement earplugs wonderfully!

junkiefortravel
    Participant

Here are my tips on getting a good night sleep:
    http://internationaltravel.dailysite.com/article/How-to-Get-a-Good-Nights-Sleep-while-Business-Travelling/?dis=GMWRSZFXZTGA59J

How does everyone else prepare for a long day of meetings?

VintageKrug
    Participant

When having an all day meeting, I always ensure the temperature in the room is on the chilly side, and positively frigid as the evening wears on.

It does sharpen the mind, and keeps people on their toes!

Always best to remind those who do feel the cold to wrap up beforehand, though this can restrict the view for the more virile team members. With my female colleagues swathed in cashmere, this also serves to reduce distraction!

travelwell
    Participant

would be so much easier if you could book a hotel which automartically asked you which flight you were arriving on to arrange an airport pick up. just type it in during the hotel reservation instead of having to send another email or fax with all the details. i would much prefer to make 1 booking which includes is all in 1 go especially when going to some really odd places where you really have to pre-order a hotel car instead of the taxi taxi sir sir types hanging around arrivals…

carrotcake
    Participant

Hi all,
    I would like a hotel television to switch on to an interesting channel straight away. I get tired of having to skip through hotel advertising channels and pay movie channels to get to my favourite CSI !!

NTarrant
    Participant

Yes you are right carrotcake, it is so annoying. Have you also found that they have a list of what channels are available but some are always missing. The ones with the programs you want to watch!

carrotcake
    Participant

Ha ha! N Tarrant, Yes! Also, have you had the curse of the remote control? You know the one with the dodgy batteries. One minute, it works, the next, you are waving it around like a mad woman pointing it in all directions? Then, it suddenly works and skips about 5 channels.
    How random!

VintageKrug
    Participant

I am not certain that the Blue Smarties Mrs Tarrant encourages Mr Tarrant to enjoy with his pre-bedtime Horlicks on the second Tuesday of every month have yet had the effect of turning him into a “mad woman”.

Or indeed any sort of woman. Quite the opposite, in fact! 😉

Coquilles St. Jacques and Rocket, with a pleasant Semillon Blanc, followed by Summer Berries in Cream.

Deleted User
    Participant

On night time departures lights that are dimmed for take off, making you feel nice and relaxed all of a sudden being turned on full after take off. Very annoying when the bright lights wake you up!

Tables set aside in hotel restaurants for single travellers to meet and socialize.

European countries abiding and enforcing the non smoking rules

This is an excellent website. I have been nervous to make my maiden post but hope that this is considered as a good contribution.

NTarrant
    Participant

Yes Carrotcake those remote controls can be a problem. Equally a problem with remote controls which I encountered last week in a Crowne Plaza, sit at the desk, change channel ok, sit in the chair, difficult to change channel, lie on the bed and it doesn’t work. Then one discovers that the chambermaid has polaced the advert card for movies infront of the sensor! I was waving the remote like a mad man.

Thank you VK for pointing that out. Nice sounding meal. Mrs T’s roast pork, slowly cooked and very tender with potatoes and runner beans from the garden.

Welcome CMBurchhardt, hope you will become a regular contributor, we are all friends here just that we don’t agree all the time.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls