Tipping flight attendants

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

what do the majority do when the service charge has been auto added and then a hand comes out for a further tip (by way of an open credit card machine… i.e. would you like to add more). ??

canucklad
    Participant

Totally agree with everybody’s thoughts about tipping in the U.S. And again agree with the points made about New York.
    If the practice continues to worsen to the point that Charles P endured I can it having a detrimental impact on tourism, not unlike the damage the hordes of holiday timeshare pests had on the resort’s of the med….

dutchyankee
    Participant

Charles-P, I would do the exact same as you if I wasn’t happy with the service, or left a paltry sum to let the server know what I think his performance was worth; sometimes leaving a very small amount speaks volumes over leaving nothing. While I am an American, I have dual nationality and speak with an accent, which often means I will be advised by a server in many US restaurants that `service is not included.` I hate this `reminder` almost as much as an automatic service charge.

Martyn, as someone who travels to Florida often like I do, I have seen this happen more and more in resort or tourist destinations throughout the USA. Many restaurants in the theme parks or surrounding Orlando, have now included an automatic 12.5% or 15% tip to the bill and then as you say an open cc machine to ask if you would like to add more, fully expecting you do so. Of course this has happened due to the large number of overseas visitors not used to tipping. For me, as I am accustomed to adding 15% to most checks up to 20% for something great, I would add if I thought it was worth it, or if the amount is below 15%, otherwise no.

I have also seen this almost everywhere in London now as well.

Charles-P
    Participant

Here in Belgium tipping is almost entirely absent and a major reason was the introduction of the euro. Many restaurants at the time of transition from the Belgian Franc ’rounded up’ their charges to the nearest whole euro which resulted in customers taking the view, “you’ve had the tip”.

In my local restaurant where I have a reputation for tipping well BUT ONLY if good service is provided I am treated like a King !

dutchyankee
    Participant

Charles-P,

Exactly the same for me when home in Antwerp. My American habits keep me quite popular at my favorite restaurants in the beautiful city of Fashion!

Charles-P
    Participant

dutchyankee – I had no idea you lived in Antwerp, small world. Our Belgian house is in Lokeren.

The local restaurant I was referring to above is the ‘T Fornuis on the Reyndersstraat in Antwerp. Highly recommended.

dutchyankee
    Participant

Charles-P, a small world indeed. Our flat is in town, we`ll be back in beginning March and again in May.

T Fornuis is excellent, still maintains a Michelin Star, and now that the construction next to it is over, a lot easier to get to. The owner/Chef`s son has just opened a gourmet tapas style restaurant one block behind his dad`s restaurant. Other favorites for me are Hofstraat 24, Het Nieuwe Palinghuis, Dome, and Sir Anthony Van Dijk!!!

Vriendelijke groeten

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I do remove the service charge if I’ve had lousy service in Europe, and it had to be pretty bad. Had a few arguments over it but i just leave my card, walk out and tell them to sue me. It’s never happened till now!

In Copenhagen I stayed in a 4* hotel where the service was awful. Forgotten alarm calls, no help with the bags and so on. The bill included a service charge. When I complained the receptionist said, “well we are a no service hotel sir” at which point i removed the service charge. They said nothing.

Charles-P
    Participant

I had a small hotel in Amsterdam try it on a few years ago. They presented me a bill in Dutch which included both a “service charge” and a “invoice preparation charge” when I questioned both (in Dutch) they were swiftly removed. I wonder how many non Dutch speakers would have paid and been none the wiser.

MrMichael
    Participant

Invoice preparation charge, I have heard it all now. A recent BBC article told the story of a hotel that had an automatic charge of £100 taken from your credit card if you left a negative review on trip advisor.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30100973

Charles-P
    Participant

The reactions that some small business’ have to negative feedback can be extraordinary. About five years ago I made a written complaint to a BMW dealer after my car had been serviced, I received a reply from the owner saying I was banned for life from the garage !

StewartK
    Participant

Tipping ground staff (including security) on internal flights in Nigeria is the norm – it used to be called ‘dash’ in East Africa, not sure what the local term is.

On the other hand, failure to tip kerbside baggage handlers in the US used to be a guarantee that your bag did not travel on the same flight.

SimonS1
    Participant

I don’t think the “tipping” that takes place in Lagos, Kinshasa etc is really what we were discussing here?

That’s the same as the “tipping” of the police officer who operates the speed gun we have just passed in Nairobi.

pointyendpreferred
    Participant

When I was flying we were absolutely forbidden to accept tips unless it was going to offend the customer. In one such case, I did accept the tip but told the pax I would donate it to charity (not me), which I did.

I am SHOCKED to read that the crew offered to take your son to the flight deck. This has been absolutely forbidden on almost every carrier I know since 9/11.
    Even as passengering staff, we were not allowed to enter the flight deck unless it was required for operational reasons and then only in uniform.

BAfanatic
    Participant

Alex_Fly, You said “I’m going to try it next week. Do they have wifi in HM Prisons?”, not sure but I’ll bring you some cheese sandwiches if you let me film your attempt.

On second thoughts though – I could be arrested too – for filming!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls