Theft & police reactions

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

• Stringfellow
    Participant

Have I wondered into the Daily Mail ? What’s next “Illegal Romanian immigrants eating the swans at Heathrow ” ?

Bucksnet
    Participant

Brussels may still be safer than a lot of cities, but it’s a lot worse than it used to be.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

There’s a lot of truth in what Bucksnet says but the PC brigade won’t allow it I be said and of course those who shout loudest tend to get heard while the silent majority are ignored! Was it not reported the other day that 70% of all pickpockets caught are Romanians?

However I must also agree with Stringfellow as to the causes but as long as the UK has this open door soft justice policy crime will increase exponentially. This is compounded by the fact it seems impossible to throw anyone out the country no matter how heinous the crime thanks to the ludicrous human rights act!

This is not confined to the UK though and is a problem afflicting much of the EU.

Going back to Stringfellow’s point though, I think foreign cars are targeted because foreigners are less likely to give the police as much grief as a local who is able to complain to their Councillors, MP’s etc. and the thief knows this. Another reason could be a foreigner is more likely to have valuables in his car.

Most Dutch people take out anything remotely nickable as they know what happens in car parks. My ex (who lives in Rotterdam) doesn’t even bother locking her car as she leaves nothing in it and is fed up with replacing the window or door lock each time they break in to see if there is something!

lloydah
    Participant

The only time I have had the car broken into – nearly – was also in the Netherlands, Zeist Railway station near Utrecht. I have always felt safe in that country too, the last place I would have thought this to happen. It was a Golf estate, they had taken a screwdriver or equivalent to the locks but still couldn’t get in. I managed to open the boot door and crawl over the seats without damaging two large framed pictures sitting there. Police were “helpful” – lots of forms but no action.

MarcusUK
    Participant

Globally I think the increase is the same.
    I lived in Sydney and part in Amsterdam now, and the same comments can be shared for both cities, far worse in recent times.

I recently sat in the Local Magistrates Court in London, (and Crown Court). On the lists on each that day, 40% of the magistrates cases were not of British nationals, that is a Court statistic. Theft and the initial arrest cases all go through their first as you know,

In Sydney i sat several times with colleagues at the District and the Magistrates Court (One professional magistrate sits alone).
    The incidence of theft, fraud and drug related crime linked to these incidents, is a majority of the cases coming through.

I am always extra cautious personally with cars overseas, on every continent, and deliberately walk around the car, opening the boot and all compartments before leaving.
    Some places in Portugal, and South Africa, there are always people watching as you park. I also always lock doors once in owing to snatches in some countries when you are driving and pull up at lights etc.

Sad to say, theft it on a global increase, and the Police to them it is not the most important issue sadly, and common, as burglary where no investigations happen in some cases in the UK. When recessions hit, or poverty exists, these figures show to increase.

Travelling will always have these issues to consider, and basic adoption of a pattern of safety, we mostly all have developed in our own developed way.

openfly
    Participant

Viagero1……
    I was burgled, but little was taken. I didn’t bother to call the police as it would have been a waste of time and my insurance would have gone sky high!!

canucklad
    Participant

Marcus you’re right. It has become a global issue!

And tourists do seem to be actively targetted. I was in downtown Vancouver last month and a group of ” up to no gooders” ignored me after watching me give directions to a lost lass.

Walking back with carrier bags from the souvenor shops iwas surronded menacingly on the pretext of begging. A sharp rasp of an exaggarated agressive scottish accent soon had them scattering. Back down the drain pipes.

I witness the same carry on in London, Edinburgh,Vilnaus,Dublin and many more cities in which countries there are child protection laws. So why isit that I always seem to remember a 60 year old woman with an infant !

IamSpartacus
    Participant

I wonder if i was sat reading the eastern european BT or Spanish BT i would be reading a forum post about the increase in crime and criminal damage caused by the influx of british tourists/migrants on boozy stag weekends and holidays, what with all the drinking, drugs, fighting and quite frankly dreadful behaviour, oh and our criminal class making the costa del sol their home from home (seems crims moving abroad is not just a romanian thing).
    Prague used to be a lovely city until Easyjet started flying there and now you cant move for a drunking stag or hen party, crime rates have gone up with a particular spike in violence related crime such as street fights. When i speak with my czech friends they sound very similar to some of the posts on here blaming the fall in their great city on the british.
    In relation to the spike in crime figures since the 1950’s i would point to the spike in population that runs parallel to this period.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Iam, touché. You make a valid point, it’s also Brits aboard who bring shame on this country. I remember the discussions that were taking place between the Embassy and Police a few years ago for the Euro cup which was being hosted in Switzerland and Liechtenstein.

So fearful were the Swiss of the English hooligans they wanted the army involved, something understood but not well received by the Ambassador who feared due to lack of any experience in crowd control the army may shoot first and ask questions later.

In the end England did not qualify so the exercise was academic!

Bucksnet
    Participant

The population of Britain is bigger today than the 1950s, but not 21 times bigger IamSpartacus.

stevescoots
    Participant

A few years back I had my car broken into on the street @ 11pm at night. I found out the next morning from a sticker on the windscreen. Asked plod why they did not let me know that night, the car was registered to a Canterbury address (company) and they did not want to wake anyone up in the street to ask whose car it was…

My hotel room was broken into in Northhampton, laptop etc all Stolen. police Did not even turn up while I was there on the next day. was given a reference number and that was the last I heard of it. In bith cases took me almost a year to get anything from my insurers

On the other side, left my wallet in HK airport, next day they somehow managed to link me to our HK office, there was no company ID inside, just my UK licence, brought it round personally so it could be fedexed out to me.

canucklad
    Participant

Iam………..

Of course you’re right and the chaos caused by UK citizens abroad can at the very least be very embarasing……..

Having had the pleasure and privelege to be a member of the Tartan Army i can safely say that I have been welcomed in many cities and towns across the world with cheer and good will…….

Sadly I also re-call being in Dam square as a kilted group of neds urinated on the war memorial…..as the Dutch police took action…they protested their innocence because they were the famous well behaved tartan army !!

On hearing this nonsense some of the “real supporters” spoke to the Dutch police….

Later I found out that on the arrival of the Highlanders onto the scene…..the NEDS pleaded with the Highlanders to intervene and stop the truncheon reprimand……too their shock and horror , the Highlanders encouraged the police to baton harder, making the deal that if they weren’t arrested a suitable more punative punishment would be meeted out …….

The police agreed and laughed as the NEDs rather large “Carry Out ” was distrubuted amongst the rest of the fans!

As always its a small minority that blemishes the reputation of others…..

The nicest lass that worked in the Brentford Holiday Inn was Romanian……gorgeous and witty……..and yet all the generalised view of Romanians is tarnished by my incident in Vancouver….

Think Nigerians and what comes to mind….
    Think Russians and what goes through your mind….and closer to home

Think Glasweigans or Liverpudlians and………

It would be a much nicer place if only……….

ImissConcorde
    Participant

I have just returned from a holiday in Phuket. The French North Africans (18-30 group) are as bad as any group of youths I’ve seen abroad.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls