Theft & police reactions

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

• Anonymous

Stringfellow
    Participant

I recently had my car broken into for the second time in a month at the RAI exhibition centre in Amsterdam. While this was annoying I regarded it as part of life these days and having wasted three hours, filling in forms, going to the police, getting the glass replaced etc I was simply happy to be home however an email I have received today makes me wonder if I should be more upset.

The Amsterdam police say that theft from overseas registered cars is now so common at the RAI that they no longer investigate the crime and simply issue a reference number for the insurance company ( I could however have “counselling” at the Dutch tax payers expense should I want it.) Putting aside for one moment the thought that the costs of counselling would be better spent on police activity are other travellers aware of police who see so much crime directed at overseas visitors they simply ignore it ?

openfly
    Participant

Hi Stringfellow…..that sounds like the reaction that you get from the UK police when you report ANY crime. Total lack of interest or help!

canucklad
    Participant

Happy Easter Friday Stringfellow & openfly…

Can I recommend that you try being robbed in Africa….after an internal flight from Nairobi to Malindi my girlfriend discovered her camera had been stolen from the checked luggage…..and dispatched me to the police station to report the theft and request a police incident form…..

Malindi police are very welcoming and must enjoy the company of tourists; I got interviewed by the head of CID, and ultimately the Chief of Police…….

Exasperated—at my lack of local” how to make the wheels turn” they finally released me and gave me my incident report into the bargain……

Still not sure if the 2 plain clothes guys roughing up the chap in the cell was for my benefit or not….

As a beside….the insurance company refused to pay up….because the camera was stolen by airline staff. …Allegedly…and was not on our person when stolen , so we didn’t realise it had been pinched!!

ViajeroUK
    Participant

@openfly

totally agree, and getting worse. One result of police attitude is that less people now report crimes, which, on paper, shows a reduction in crime, good for police PR purposes but nothing else.

Bucksnet
    Participant

The cold hard truth is that there has been a 21 fold increase in crime in Britain since the start of mass immigration in the 1950s. The police attitude/reaction does indeed deter people from reporting crime, which helps keep the figures lower.

Amsterdam, and other parts of Europe, are suffering from the same issues. Maybe the exhibition centre should have a secure car park. I wonder why overseas registered cars seem to be targeted though?

Stringfellow
    Participant

Perhaps I should say at this point the most superb interaction I have had with the police recently was in Dubai. My laptop was stolen at one of the Metro stations while I was distracted. The local police arrived very quickly, were efficient, apologetic and professional. They took detailed notes, checked CCTV evidence, gave me a detailed briefing about what would happen next and even gave me a lift to the airport. Within 24 hours I had a report that let me know what they had been doing and what would happen next. About two weeks later I was informed the thief had been caught and was currently awaiting trial. I was asked of I would be prepared to fly to Dubai to give evidence and if yes the UAE would fund my expenses in doing so.

In the end I didn’t need to as the thief plead guilty and was sent to prison for three years (there were other offences).

Following the case I received a letter from a senior detective saying he hoped this would not put me off returning to Dubai.

Stringfellow
    Participant

‘Bucksnet’ I must say I dislike you linking a rise in crime to immigration. I am certainly no bleeding heart Liberal but it is obvious that the causes of the increase in crime can’t be placed at the door of those who have made a new life in the UK. Crime is the result of deprivation, poor education and limited social mobility opportunities.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Exactly what should happen. And if the thief was foreign he will be deported at the end of his sentence – taken straight from the prison to the airport and never allowed to set foot on the streets of Dubai again.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Why is it obvious that the causes of the increase in crime can’t be placed at the door of those who have made a new life in the UK?

In the 1950s the number of crimes in Britain varied from 400-450,000 per year. Last year there were around 9.5 million reported crimes, down from 9.8 million the year before. There was a time when foreign criminals would be deported without question, like in Dubai, but today there are foreign criminals including murderers and terrorists who are allowed to stay.

An academic study, in the 1960s I believe, proved that there is a link between crime and unemployment. However successive governments have deliberately pursued policies that have increased unemployment, like mass immigration, EU membership & soft touch justice. The results speak for themselves, and prove the study was right.

Also you have certain immigrant groups with a higher propensity for crime, like the 68% of gun crime in London committed by black people, or the 54% of muggings, or most people in the drug trade being of one foreign group or another. I simply cannot understand for the life of me why we just accept immigrant teenagers and young adults running around the streets of Britain with automatic weapons, knives and other guns.

This has all been planned, and has not just been allowed to happen. If ‘mistakes’ were made with immigration and other policies, and all this has happened by accident, then firm corrective action needs to be taken, but it’s not.

I was robbed at knifepoint in Algeciras. I had just arrived on the ferry from Tangier and it was late evening. I exited the port area and before I knew it I was confronted by two drug addicts, one male and one female. I found myself without a penny as in those days I didn’t have a credit card, but I pleaded with them to give me my passport back. This was in full view of passers-by on a main street yet no one intervened.

I went straight to the port police and, as I am fluent in Spanish, I was able to give a description of the two. I soon found myself in a police car and we parked at an apartment and unbelievably the two appeared in a taxi. No doubt two well known ‘golfos’. They were immediately arrested and we all went back to the police station. When they saw me…if looks could kill 🙂

And so I found myself without a cent and a flight to catch from Malaga to Gatwick early the next afternoon. For the first time in my life I started hitchhiking…and made it to the airport on time thanks to several drivers including a man on a motorbike who invited me to his place ,-)

OMG, I didn’t even have a cigarette left. When I got to Gatwick I explained what had happened and was able to travel on the Gatwick Express and tube back home to North London for free.

capetonianm
    Participant

“it is obvious that the causes of the increase in crime can’t be placed at the door of those who have made a new life in the UK. “

It is obvious that the majority of legal immigrants to the UK who have made a new life are not responsible for the increase in crime.

It is equally obvious, other than to those whose wish to remain politically correct overrides common sense, that the increase in crime is attributable largely to undocumented illegal aliens, of which there may be several hundred thousand. They are unaccountable and having no means of support, turn to crime, often of a violent nature, or become involved in drug dealing or other illegal and harmful activity, which inevitably leads to crime.

As for the situation in mainland Europe, countries that used to be relatively safe, such as Nl and BE and even to a lesser extent CH, are no longer as safe. In fact Brussels is b***** dangerous. Any ideas why?

Bucksnet
    Participant

Actually the majority of immigrants committing crimes in Britain are legal, not illegal.

The number of illegals in Britain according to the government is around 2 million, so way more than several hundred thousand.

Countries in mainland Europe that used to be relatively safe, but are no longer as safe, are basically suffering the same problems as Britian. Brussels is b***** dangerous I agree. Maybe something to do with the mass third world immigration encouraged and supported by the EU? It was a lot safer before.

capetonianm

I agree with you about Brussels. I had my rucksack stolen on a very busy platform at the Central Station. Unfortunately, my passport was inside it ;-( These guys are true professionals!

Stringfellow
    Participant

“In fact Brussels is b***** dangerous”

What tosh !

Parts of Brussels are dangerous in the same way that parts of London, Manchester, Madrid, Paris, New York and many other cities are. Brussels contains the residences of the King of Belgium, the Prime Minister of Belgium, the HQ of the EU, Eurocontrol and NATO all of which leads to a large police presence. I spend many Saturday evenings in Brussels and feel safer there than I do in many other cities.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls