The Tube Gets Air Conditioning from Sept 2010

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)

• Danwolf
    Participant

VK: Which line?

I resort to cycling in the summer rather than being sardined in a baking oven…arriving to work like I’ve just been on a 12 hour Ryanair flight 🙂

Ellwood
    Participant

Thames Clippers to get around town is a dream! Always get a seat, can sit outside if you want and even an onboard coffee shop and bar!

We just have to work out how to keep the tourists off it in the summer as the evening boats home can be a little busy.

transtraxman
    Participant

Danwolf

From Tfl´s own website

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/projectsandschemes/18072.aspx#qu9

“The first of the new air-conditioned trains are now running on the Metropolitan line”.

transtraxman
    Participant

Metropolitan Line
    “We’ll keep introducing more new trains throughout 2011 and 2012. Eventually there’ll be 58 new trains on the line in all.”

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/projectsandschemes/18097.aspx

“In 2012, we’ll be introducing 53 new trains on the Circle and Hammersmith & City lines. These will be seven carriages long – one carriage longer than our current trains.”

“In addition to being air-conditioned, they will have walk-through carriages, automated visual displays and station announcements, plus the reassurance of CCTV.”

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/projectsandschemes/18096.aspx

VintageKrug
    Participant

It was on the District and Circle Line; must have been one of the new train sets as I noticed the seats were slightly narrower than usual.

scotnut2407
    Participant

You’ll know for certain if you’re on one of the new SSL (sub surface lines) trains as they are like a single carriage on the inside, like a bendy bus. I travelled on a number of the new trains a couple months ago on the Met and they are a huge improvement – much cooler and much more space inside.

They have less seats than the ones they are replacing, which has caused a number of grumbles of discontent. However, at the peak of the rush hour, you’re not so close to your fellow passengers that you can count the individual threads in their jackets – thanks to the greater standing space, the fact you can freely move down in the train and stand in between the carriages.

Tim2soza
    Participant

Another part of the initiative to lower temperatures on/in the tube is the installation of Etalux/Aura lights, which use a lot less power and emit a lot less heat. The trials showed improved lighting and reduced temperatures.

If anyone uses Holborn, look at the lights as you go up/down the main escalators.

Every little helps.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls