The Tube Gets Air Conditioning from Sept 2010

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)

• JesseFogg
    Participant

Thanks VK i don’t have the internet.
    It was supposed to be launched in May this year. But I guess July is close enough.

Regarding the Tube. Air conditioning is of course a superb idea and i look forward to the day when I enjoy getting the tube and don’t have to catch fainting ladies.

NTarrant
    Participant

It does depend on the lady that you are catching Jesse.

Glad you enjoyed your Haddock Souffle last night VK, a rather down to earth Toad in the Hole for me, but were of course premium sausages.

VintageKrug
    Participant

There are few who could fault a premium sausage.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

best when the ends are cut off VK, those stradly bits get caught in your teeth!

VintageKrug
    Participant

Only if you have bad teeth, MartynSinclair 😉

VintageKrug
    Participant

VintageKrug
    Participant

Anyone tried one yet?

JordanD
    Participant

With one, maybe two, in service over a limited stretch of the line (Wembley Park to the north), it is more rare an experience than travelling ‘new’ First on BA.

And we know how you love people asking about that.

NTarrant
    Participant

That is a bit of a silly comment considering the roll out program is completely different.

I have been on the new Victoria line trains which are quite nice.

JordanD
    Participant

NTarrant – not really:

Trains are being replaced on a more-or-less one-for-one basis over a period of about 18-21 months.

First cabins are being replaced on a more-or-less one-for-one basis over a period of about 18-21 months.

Sounds very similar. Anyhow – without thread drifting too much, I haven’t used or seen either Met or Victoria Line new trains. Clearly I must be doing something wrong …

Kaicat75
    Participant

I have been on the new Victoria Line trains a couple of times now and they do seem to be more roomy that their older models.

But one thing i did notice is the rails to hold onto on the roof of the train by the doors are now higher. While this may give a bit more headroom directly under them it has now created a problem where even more people cannot reach them so are now using using the people around them as buffers when the train comes to a halt.

VintageKrug
    Participant

“now using using the people around them as buffers when the train comes to a halt”

The concept sounds fun, though maybe not with passengers on the Victoria Line. I would imagine Mrs Tarrant would be quite shocked to hear about that.

NTarrant
    Participant

Indeed she would VK!!

Interesting that Kaicat75 mentions the hand rails, on the Dubai metro when that was introduced didn’t have many rails to hold and the carriages are higher than tube stock. However they have now had to fit strap handles because of short passengers.

Still none of the handles are as fun as those on the trains that link Disney Hong Kong shaped as Mickey Mouse.

VintageKrug
    Participant

In the City for a meeting yesterday and happened to be on one of these new air conditioned tubes. A huge improvement!

transtraxman
    Participant

It is amazing how much some people use public transport and then spout off about “the best metros” in the world.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls