The forum on this site

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

• Intheair
    Blocked

I am not a frequent poster on this very good site, but frequently read it to keep informed.

I find the information on the main site very useful, but the forum can also be extremely useful for obtaining information about special offers, tips with travel etc.

For example, I found I was spending literally thousands of pounds per year on excess car insurance when travelling, and the information recently recommended by some of the posters on the site to purchase annual car insurance excess waiver protection is saving me large amounts of money.

I also really enjoy the reviews of flights and airport, some which are complimentary and some which are not complimentary. As always with reviews, if several people say the same thing there is probably some truth in it.

However, over the last week or two, if one looks at some of the postings on this site, a psychologist would have a field day! I do wonder whether with some of the aggression shown in the postings denote whether the writers are very successful in life or losers in life, and I have to say probably the latter with some of the childish behaviour goes on.

I for one would love to keep the site to factual and informed analysis of business travel issues, rather than the rather personal and somewhat vindictive comments which if one goes back over the last few days is clear to see. Just because a poster does not agree with the opinion of another poster, does not mean that they have to rant their difference of opinion on the forum. Just let it go and accept that there are differences amongst us. It seems sometimes that a choice of airline is more akin to a football team’s allegiance than a considered opinion.

I have to say that I’ve been reading this site for a number of years but the number of contributors has decreased. This is probably because it is become a playground fighting match between relatively few posters, many of whom seem to have an axe to grind. There are some excellent posters, in my opinion, who provide very good information for the travelling community, but some posters to seem to value the sound of their own voice / posting.

I appreciate that some of you may not share my opinion, but others probably do. My own opinion is that we should try to keep the site for information rather than personal vindictiveness, which at the end of the day is largely anonymous and probably cowardly. I’m not sure that some of the comments posted make would be made face-to-face with the recipient.

capetonianm
    Participant

Sound thinking in theory, but a lot of people interpret disagreeing with an expressed view as a personal attack and it escalates from there.
    “If you think XX is a good airline you clearly haven’t travelled on YY or ZZ which are much better ……” is the type of comment that kicks it off.

There is also the problem of an opinion disguised as a fact, and of differing values and standards, for example someone earlier posted an excellent review of a restaurant in Newcastle where they spent £164 for a meal for two people. Looking at the description of the food, it’s far from appealing to me, but I’m not going to criticise the poster for spending that amount on a meal which doesn’t appeal to me. Clearly the restaurant exists because there is a market for it. Fortunately we all have different tastes.

You may think I am one of the ‘antagonistic’ posters, and that’s fine. As long as there are no personal attacks, I think it’s healthy to disagree and debate.

Intheair
    Blocked

capetonianm

I didn’t actually think you were one of the antagonistic posters, but my opinion doesn’t matter in any event.

I couldn’t agree more that we all have different tastes and different opinions, and there should be disagreement and debate – that’s what a forum is for. Where I (personally) draw the line is idiotic and non-nonsensical personal attacks, which have been self-evident on this forum. In business, I am sure we all disagree with others all day long – it is for us to manage those disagreements with courtesy which should (in my opinion) prevail.

If we didn’t have debate, discussion and disagreement on the forum, it would be a shame. It’s just the pro-BA, anti-BA, pro-ME 3, anti-ME3 brigade which is, in my view, tiresome. Express an opinion, listen to other’s opinions, but don’t attack other opinions simply because they differ from your own.

Thank you for responding

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Intheair

If you had made this post 2-3 years ago, I would have completely agreed with you, but these days I find it much less hostile here – if anything, it was too anodyne a month or two ago.

Have you read the Flyertalk BA forum, by way of comparison?

Also, I’d say the number of posters has increased recently, it’s good to see capetonianm back (for instance).

Just my tuppence.

K1ngston
    Participant

Have to also agree with FDOS_UK I actually left the forum for a while as it was a little competitive but today the difference of opinion is fine and at a level to maintain interest…

Cant be to sterile as it then loses the status of a “forum”

esselle
    Participant

Observations, factual comment, tongue in cheek quips etc all add to the interest. Personal spats, aggression and mini tantrums are not welcome.

K1ngston
    Participant

+1 esselle

SimonS1
    Participant

I am all for opinion, debate etc, however when you give an opinion you should also expect to be challenged.

For example on the EK thread a random picture of aircraft parked at gates in Dubai was exhibited as some suggestion that EK was mothballing aircraft. Someone else countered with a pic of aircraft parked at gates at LHR and it was then alleged that this was different as these gates had jetties attached.

I challenged this with several reasons why EK planes were parked up and received what I considered was a rather aggressive “read what I said” response and subsequently tome to “grow up” from someone who appears now to be unhappy with the tone of comments. Pot, kettle etc.

In recent months I think the tone has been perfectly acceptable. This is after all an internet forum, it is not edited, and there will always be debate. It probably isn’t for the feint hearted, and friends of BA will probably fit better on FlyerTalk where there is a group of posters who like to maintain the party line.

Otherwise as far as I’m concerned challenge and be prepared to be challenged.

Intheair
    Blocked

SimonS1

Your response above is exactly what I meant in my first post above- if you wish, I can refer you on to some anger-management therapy and tolerance classes.

“When you give an opinion you should also expect to be challenged”. That sums it up I am afraid.

Let’s agree to differ in our opinions.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=808536]SimonS1

Your response above is exactly what I meant in my first post above- if you wish, I can refer you on to some anger-management therapy and tolerance classes.

“When you give an opinion you should also expect to be challenged”. That sums it up I am afraid.

[/quote]

You are way out of order.

Simon made a thoughtful and sensible point (and I suspect he knows rather more than you do about EK) and you slapped him down with a rude and aggressive response.

The response you got, in return, was completely understandable and restrained under the circumstances.

Charles-P
    Participant

Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet – what a time to be alive.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

This is something which I mentioned in a recent post – the fact that I was a member but not a contributor for such a long time albeit under a different alias.

Sorry ‘Intheair’ but I agree with FDOS & K1ngston here. This forum is a much better place than I thought it used to be.

Providing differences of opinion are dealt with in a professional manner, without resorting to childish personal insults, then all is well.

MarcusGB
    Participant

Good to hear the many positives about The Forum, and also thanks BT for fixing the “New Topic” access, as not all headers we wish are strictly under Airlines, or Airports etc.

I agree, some years ago, the forum resembled a bullying and offensive replies with some regular contributors, if you wish to apply an obvious Psychology to it. This would not be tolerated in a Business, employment situation, you would be disciplined or dismissed!
    However, such behavior tends to come from those who hold little status but portray they have, and a sense of control, and inability to accept many view but theirs. It is always healthy to have very different views, from many of us in different places around The World, and when we travel, the tips and experiences to assist us all.

I think trying to write in an “observance” mode, stating what you actually see, summarised by your view, is a better proportional approach. yes, we have less contributors now, but it is well mannered, and balanced, and interesting and useful.
    In my area of Directorship / Management in International Healthcare, it is a great richness to have views from many different professions, working in a multi disciplinary way.
    Equally, the cultural experiences, and places we all travel are a great educator, insight, and privilege, and sharing these enriches and helps us all, as well as being very interesting.

So thanks to all, for staying with it, and making it better than it was, and of course to the BT team, that provide this very unique platform.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I know a lot of people are having trouble uploading images – I know they ave to be smaller than 500kb and probably in a jpeg format, but otherwise they should work so let me know if not and I’ll try and find out why.
    thanks
    Tom

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=808536]SimonS1

[/quote]

It’s OK, but thanks for the offer.

Seriously, what do you expect when giving an opinion? That we should automatically agree with you.

Honestly if you are not willing to debate the issues, and are easily offended, then I fear forums like this are not really for you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.
The topic ‘The forum on this site’ is closed to new replies.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls